Parts of the ground closed? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Has anybody had a letter about closing a couple of blocks to get the fans closer together to make it seem more full?

I think it is 14, 25 and 26 that will be closed so it will be more a 4 sided ground rather than an arena.

I don't think it will work, it will just be empty seats with nets over! :(

simmouk

Administrator
An official letter from the club? Nope, I haven't?!

This seems very counter-intuitive if we are trying to get MORE people into the ground, by making LESS space available?! If they are thinking "we don't sell out every game with ALL the seats open, so if we close some areas off, we'll get closer to a "sell out"...right...yeah...that may be technically true, BUT, the ground will look and sound even more empty if you are closing off areas!!!

Do you have a copy of the letter Nick?

Nick

Administrator
I'm not a season ticket holder so didn't get one, just heard about them!

Apparently if they close some of the corners off it will make it more 4 sided like HR, will just make the away fans abuse us with "Your Grounds Too Big For You" even more :(

skyblueprincess

I got one on face book !!!

They read as follows........

9th March 2009
Dear Miss Couchman
On behalf of Coventry City Football Club I wanted to thank you for your support and commitment to the team.I hope you are begining to see positive developments both on and off the field.
One of the areas we are addressing is having an average attendance 17,000 in a stadium that holds 32,000,and the effect this can have on atmosphere.
Although I am confident we will see 25,000 gates at the Ricoh on a regular basus in the near future,I have listened to what the players & Chris Coleman require to generate the right atmosphere for the team. Bearing in mind the current 18,000 average,we have decided on an initiative which directly impacts on your current seat.
In an attempt to create a fortress atmosphere and congregate our fans together when the attendance is not above this average,we will close the very corner blocks (13 and 14,plus 25 and 26) for periods of next season.This will be reviewed for individual fixtures with high demand or when average gates exceed 20,000.
Obviously,we have noticed when recent attendances have exceeded 20,000 how well both ends of the ground create noise and this is something we need every week coming from blocks 15 & 16.We must keep this fabulous atmosphere going with your help,and by bringing fans closer together it will make the stadium look fuller,generate more noise,and have the right effect on the team.
We appreciate that asking you to move your Season Ticket is an inconvenience (especiallly those relocated from the Jewson Stand already),but hope you agree with the principle of creating as much atmosphere as possible to spur the team on to even greater heights.
In addition:
- The cost of a season ticket in Zone 3 (now blocks 3,15,16,24 & 27) will be reduced for 2009/10,hopefully softening the blow of your move.
- The new Zone 3 blocks are better located ,so hopefully your view of the pitch will improve.
- We will designate blocks 15,16,29 and 30 as our noise zones and we are looking at ways to rally all fans who want to sing,bang drums and get vocal to locate themselves in these blocks.
- We will locate away fans in blocks 9-11.
You now have a chance to relocate your Season Ticket for next season prior to general sale in a few days,so you can choose your new location.Any PSL holders will need to advise us of this change. Please call the ticket office.
Finally,I wish to thank you again for your support as we look to take the club forward on your behalf.We appreciate your commitment and help in improving all aspects of our match-day experience.
For any comments,please email [email protected] otherwise,please contact the ticket office on 08448731883 (option 2),or log on to ccfc.co.uk to arrange your seat move.
Best Regards
Ray Ranson (chairman)

skyblueprincess

Have had signed an official petition bout the block closer , thought the whole point is the banter with away fans ain't that part n parcel of football ?

Malc51

Ah...I see he also forgot to mention that by doing this he will need less stewards and policeing...so more money saving practises being introduced.

Nick

Administrator
I personally think we should be able to sit behind both goals like at Highfield Road.

simmouk

Administrator
Yeah, I agree Nick - I'm sure that idea was floated around at one point, a couple of seasons ago? It was much better that way back at HR, for sure.

And yeh Malc, that sounds about right doesn't it! As a Steward myself I know we always get told that the club are cutting back and looking to reduce the numbers of Stewards (but then on some games we don't have enough in some areas and it's not always properly covered as it should be!) - they've only just got rid of the Halmark Security people on the doors (which again was to save money, BUT, now us Stewards are being told to man the doors on the inside, as well as supposedly being pitch-side, doing some Stewarding!)

I am very greatful for Ray coming in and reducing the debt and all that jazz, and giving us some financially stability, but it seems that the hard-hitting business side of it is starting to creep in and people are getting sacked to try and balance the books. But the simple fact is, the better City play, the more bums on seats, the larger the ticket revenue and probably, the better income from merchandice! And for fekcs sake, we NEED to sort something out with ACL and get back our half of the Ricoh as it's stupid that we as a club don't get any money from the bars/kiosks for food and drink! Not a penny! And when it's about £8 for a Yorkie bar, thats a cash cow that we need to milk!

Users who are viewing this thread