Player Ratings (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Anybody want to start them off?

ccfchoi87

Burge - (8) some fantastic saves and deserved his clean sheet

Grimmer - (7) energetic and hardworking as ever

McDonald - (8) superb again, throws himself at everything

Willis - (8) must be suffering tonight, didn't think he would last the 90 after a few knocks

Haynes - (7) offers a different threat down the left

Kelly - (7) solid as always, broke up play well at times today

Doyle (7) as above, nice to see passion in that midfield

Ponticelli (8) really impressed with his general play which I didn't think was that good, worked well with mcnulty and on other day would have scored.

Jones (8) less of the ball than usual but he makes things happen, good cross for the goal

McNulty - (8) worked hard, great goal

Vincenti - (7) usual from him, worked hard and solid

These ratings could easily be one higher but im trying not to get carried away!

Otis

Burge - (8) some fantastic saves and deserved his clean sheet

Grimmer - (7) energetic and hardworking as ever

McDonald - (8) superb again, throws himself at everything

Willis - (8) must be suffering tonight, didn't think he would last the 90 after a few knocks

Haynes - (7) offers a different threat down the left

Kelly - (7) solid as always, broke up play well at times today

Doyle (7) as above, nice to see passion in that midfield

Ponticelli (8) really impressed with his general play which I didn't think was that good, worked well with mcnulty and on other day would have scored.

Jones (8) less of the ball than usual but he makes things happen, good cross for the goal

McNulty - (8) worked hard, great goal

Vincenti - (7) usual from him, worked hard and solid

These ratings could easily be one higher but im trying not to get carried away!
Ohh go on!! Go big. Think Spinal Tap.

Gazolba

Robins gets a 10 for starting Ponticelli, and for bringing on all 3 subs, two of whom scored.
You can't do better than that.

pusbccfc

Burge 9 - Really stepped up over the last year. Confident, more composed and a brilliant shot-stopper. Doesn't look as good on the highlights, but from ground level his save with his feet in the second half was superb.

Grimmer 8 - Hard to fault him, put his shift in for the clean sheet.

Willis 8.5 - Absolute warrior-like performance. Like Burge, he has really stepped it up this season.

Rod 8.5 - Just like Willis, and absolute warrior.

Haynes 8 - Looks so much better defensively than before his injury. Offers us something different going forward. Jones and Haynes going forward down that left scared the Luton defence in the second half.

Doyle 9 - What a man. Got a big knock to the head second half and was straight back up. His reaction after the game was brilliant. He loves the club.

Kelly - 8 Frustrated me a few times in the second half when he kept missing through balls to McNulty. But, like many others today, worked his socks off.

Jones 7 - A solid game from him. Brilliant assist for the first goal. Looked a little tired towards the end.

Vincenti 7.5 - Best game he's had so far. Won the ball consistently and brought it down well when needed. Still would prefer to see him more central.

Ponticelli 7.5 - Looks more than ready to me. Worked hard, showed some good touches and his movement was sharp.

McNulty 8 - His best game, too. Brilliant header, worked hard and showed some good touches. He looks far better in a counter-attacking team.

Subs:

Shipley 8 - What a goal lad.

Biamou 7 - good assist for the Duck goal and caused their tired defence problems.

Duck 7 - A naff goal scored, but frustrated a lot of his team mates with his lack poor work rate. Doyle had a right go at him a few minutes after he came on. Nevertheless, an obvious threat in this league and a definite loan extension is needed in January.

Mark Robins 10 - Had the team set up perfectly today. Was right to give Ponticelli his debut. Seemed strange at the time, but bringing on two strikers when we were on the backfoot worked perfectly.

The lads have had a lot of stick recently, but deserve a lot of credit. I haven't seen a performance with that much grit and determination for years.

singers_pore

Burge - (7.5) some good saves to keep it at 1-0

Grimmer - (7) good

McDonald - (7) good

Willis - (7) good - nice Terry Butcher impression

Haynes - (7) good

Kelly - (8) excellent - my MOTM. Was worried when he went down injured

Doyle (7) - good defensive cover and adds bite to the midfield

Ponticelli (7) - tried hard and you can see he has some promise

Jones (8) - more of a team player today than in recent games and provided a high quality cross for the goal

McNulty - (7) good header - credit where credit is due. However, he is still not strong enough on the ball.

Vincenti - (7) worked hard but would like to see him win more headers

Shipley (7.5) - very good in the short time he had on the pitch

Biamou (7) - looked better than in recent games

Le Duck (7) - would have been a higher rating but he was too selfish and too lazy

Robins (7) - needs to get the defence to stop pumping the ball up in the air as McNulty and Ponti don't thrive on that kind of service. I think the 3-0 scoreline was a little flattering although we were the better team overall.

Irish Sky Blue

Didn't think this was one of Burge's best games. Made a couple of vital saves but there were a couple of mistakes too which he has mainly eliminated from his game this season. I also didn't think that this was one of Vincenti's best games. Beaten in the air quite a lot and several mis placed passes. I thought both centre halfs were immense as were both central midfielders. Ryan Haynes too had an excellent game.

luwalla

All round performance, but definitely think that Vincent is an underated player for us. Awkward to play against, breaks up opposition

Nick

Administrator
Burge - 8 - Extra point for the good save with his legs. Kicking a bit ropey and a couple of strange decisions to come out for the ball but they didn't score so :)

Grimmer - 7 - To be honest, didn't notice him too much. He wasn't getting forward half as much with Vincenti in front of him.
McDonald - 8 - Same as willis, was none of the pretty stuff just battling with their physical strikers and acting like a wall
Willis - 8 - To start off he looked to be getting run ragged, came into the game more and more and then just put his body on the line to get everything cleared.
Haynes - 8 - Has made a difference coming in, have noticed Jones didn't drift to the right too much when Haynes was there and left Vincenti out there.

Vincenti - 7 - He is never really going to stand out but does what he needs to well, he brings the ball out of the air and lays it off really well. A decent touch on him and when he has it at his feet likes to keep it simple.
Doyle - 8 - Just does what he does, battles, slows the game down.
Kelly - 8 - Seemed to have more space and freedom today to pick passes out and to shoot from range! Could see him working with McNulty / Ponti where they would be getting the ball and laying it back to him to do something with it.
Jones - 8 - Extra point for the first half assist and then managing to get their defender booked when it was barely a foul. He wasn't involved as much as he usually is which is good, because we didn't rely on just him.

McNulty - 8 - Looks like most of our gameplan was through him. We were putting the ball into the channels for him, him and Ponti were coming deeper to get the ball, laying it off and then spinning off to make runs.
Ponti - 7 - Ran his heart out, gave their defenders a nightmare all the time he was on the pitch. Constantly dragging defenders about to create space

Biamou - 7 - Seemingly can put perfectly weighted passes through, fair play to him!
Duck - 7 - I know he scored, but his decision making and positioning isn't the best.
Shipley - 8 - Not on the pitch too much but still involved with a good pass in the build up to his goal, didn't even think about it and just put his goal top corner. Imagine that for your first ever goal in front of the city fans? I still dream about things like that!

Nick

Administrator
Another note on Jones, you can tell how the older heads have helped his game as well. He knows when to slow it down, speed it up, when and how to draw a foul as well.

It all might not be flashy or how to put a ball in the top corner but it's needed and effective.

KG7

Burge - 8 good saves but a couple of mistakes
Grimmer - 7 unremarkable game but was solid
Willis - 7 was decent but got dragged out of position a couple of times. Think some of you boys have given him an extra point for the bandage.
McDonald - 7 was good but got dragged out once or twice
Haynes - 8 an extra point because his overlap in the first half meant that Luton couldn't double up on JJ and allowed him space to get a cross in for McNulty
Doyle - 9.5 must have seen him play 300+ games but I've never seen so much go right for him. Won everything
Kelly - 9 great game. Extra point for putting his bollocks in the way of the ball in the second half
Vincenti - 7 solid. Gave the ball away a couple of times and let the left back get a run on him too often in the air but does give us the option to vary our game, particularly when Biamou isn't playing
Ponticelli - 6 looks like he has a great attitude but this looked like a step up too soon for him. Looked to be blowing at half time too. Will be good but not ready yet.
Jones - 7 great cross for McNulty goal. Good support at the back for Haynes.
McNulty - 7 good goal and ran the channels well.

Subs
Shipley - 8 for that free kick
Nazon - 7 relieved the pressure a couple of times and got a goal
Biamou - 8 gave us good height when Vincenti went on. 1 x assist and a perfect through ball to McNulty for sending off. Will be a big player for us. Good management by Robins to pull him out and let him recharge.

Robins - 9 but his game plan is dependent on us scoring first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Burge - 8 good saves but a couple of mistakes
Grimmer - 7 unremarkable game but was solid
Willis - 7 was decent but got dragged out of position a couple of times. Think some of you boys have given him an extra point for the bandage.
McDonald - 7 was good but got dragged out once or twice
Haynes - 8 an extra point because his overlap in the first half meant that Luton couldn't double up on JJ and allowed him space to get a cross in for McNulty
Doyle - 9.5 must have seen him play 300+ games but I've never seen so much go right for him. Won everything
Kelly - 9 great game. Extra point for putting his bollocks in the way of the ball in the second half
Vincenti - 7 solid. Gave the ball away a couple of times and let the left back get a run on him too often in the air but does give us the option to vary our game, particularly when Biamou isn't playing
Ponticelli - 6 looks like he has a great attitude but this looked like a step up too soon for him. Looked to be blowing at half time too. Will be good but not ready yet.
Jones - 7 great cross for McNulty goal. Good support at the back for Haynes.
McNulty - 7 good goal and ran the channels well.

Subs
Shipley - 8 for that free kick
Nazon - 7 relieved the pressure a couple of times and got a goal
Biamou - 8 gave us good height when Vincenti went on. 1 x assist and a perfect through ball to McNulty for sending off. Will be a big player for us. Good management by Robins to pull him out and let him recharge.

Robins - 9 but his game plan is dependent on us scoring first

Who would have a game plan that doesn't involve scoring first!?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

KG7

Who would have a game plan that doesn't involve scoring first!?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good question...but our style of play is dependent on it. You could say the same about Mowbrays team and he set us up in a similar formation but with emphasis on being expansive.

So the parallels are:

- the formation
Perhaps it is a formation best suited to counter attacking

- plan b
Perhaps it's a formation where a plan b is needed!

Esoterica

Delighted for yesterday, the individuals who have come in for a lot of unfair criticism really showed their worth. We've shown far more often than not that when we play the favourites in this league who are prepared to take the game to us, that we're man for man better than them. Maidenhead in the cup should be a chance to experiment a little against a team on the defensive in preparation for the next wave of league teams happy with a point off us, which a 0-3 at Luton will have only made worse! Hope Robins feels duely rewarded for yesterday's boldness in team selection and tactics and feels empowered by the 3 points to continue it.

ccfcway

Another note on Jones, He knows when to slow it down, speed it up,.

and if you believe that our club can hit the top, we have to win at, lutons ground....
but soon when there came the goals, and then we're just 3 up

johnwillomagic

Right delirium over think I can give ratings more subjectively what a performance the lads did us proud.

Burge 7 - Some great saves interspersed with some dodgy moments
Grimmer 8 - A very solid game very good defensively
Haynes 8 - For him defensively good got stuck in and tried to go forwards
Willis 8.5 - Think best/bravest game I've seen him play hats off to the lad!
Macdonald 8.5 - Immense at the back with Willis
Kelly 8 - Worked his nuts off
Doyle 8.5 - Worked so so hard a few misplaced passes but I'll forgive him reaction at end of match top drawer he cares!
Vincenti 6 - imo our worst player by some way just was not his day sure he was asking to be substituted himself a long time before he was hooked?
Jones 7.5 - Funnily enough a bit quiet by his standards but has the x factor at this level for sure - great cross!
McNulty 7.5 - Still not convinced an out and out striker? Worked hard and great goal!
Ponticelli 7 - Good to see him given the chance not great but not bad debut and he looks confident in his own ability which is a good sign.

Biamou 8 - Made a big impact when he came on two assists and played very well when there team was tired and stretched.
Shipley 8 - Not on for long but great free kick hope that gives him confidence for year ahead!
Duck 7 - I like him and met him at Kings X for a photo when he travelled back on the train from Luton top guy - not his best by a long way but I think has a lot of class in his locker and scored a goal despite not being great on the day....has goals in him!

Fans 9 - Bit nervy but great atmosphere for most of game
Robins 8.5 - Good game and made subs well though should have hooked Vincenti much sooner.

Speedies_Chips

I thought Grimmer and Vincenti were average at best. We don't create anything down the right side as either Grimmers runs come to nothing , or when he passes from deep it rarely goes to a Sky Blue shirt.
Vincenti should win more in the air considering his height, and again never sets anything up. Loses the ball more often than not.
Back 2 immense again, despite ref letting them get away with trying to rough Willis up. Not a massive Burge fan but he was largely responsible for the win yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread