Ponti (1 Viewer)

rob9872

Bagged on his return for half a game in the U23 last week and when we're desperate for goals, don't pack him out on loan to Macclesfield, get him another game in the 23s and then play him in the first team.

Best natural finisher at the club and he'll learn in the team which is all we keep getting to hear about the other raw strikers that we've paid cash for.

skybluegod

Bagged on his return for half a game in the U23 last week and when we're desperate for goals, don't pack him out on loan to Macclesfield, get him another game in the 23s and then play him in the first team.

Best natural finisher at the club and he'll learn in the team which is all we keep getting to hear about the other raw strikers that we've paid cash for.

But then didn’t score on Friday? We can’t play him until January as you can’t recall a player outside of the transfer window when on a season long loan.

How do you know he’s the best natural finisher at the club? We have seen so little of him. If Robins thinks he needs a loan he’s probably right.

rob9872

He was already was in my eyes and thought he deserved more game time last season. Scored about 30 the season before in the U18s and then last season scored regularly for the development team. I was hoping he would be a direct replacement for McNulty and start up top first game of the season but it wasn't to be.

fernandopartridge

He was already was in my eyes and thought he deserved more game time last season. Scored about 30 the season before in the U18s and then last season scored regularly for the development team. I was hoping he would be a direct replacement for McNulty and start up top first game of the season but it wasn't to be.

He's never, in the time I've seen him on the pitch, looked remotely ready to lead the line in League 1. He's still very raw. I know the new scapegoat Chaplin is only a young lad, but he's got 100+ games under his belt.

rob9872

He's never, in the time I've seen him on the pitch, looked remotely ready to lead the line in League 1. He's still very raw. I know the new scapegoat Chaplin is only a young lad, but he's got 100+ games under his belt.
It's not about scapegoating anyone,
100+ games and yet misses a one on one in almost every game and costing us £500k. I hope he goes onto be a world beater but currently more of a carpet beater and shouldn't be an automatic pick at present.

steve82

He’s not the answer, let him have his loan spell in L2 and develop for it. Why are we in a rush to throw the next player under the bus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SKYBLUES90

Albeit a lower league McNulty had scored 6 goals this time last year.

He was written off and ponticelli banded about as being the solution back then.

U23s is very different to men’s football, I can’t say I’ve seen much from Ponticelli to suggest he is going to be the 20 goal a season striker we seem to crave.

Simply writing off Chaplin as useless at this point of the season considering how much mcnulty changed peoples feeling come the end of the season frankly is ridiculous.

rob9872

Albeit a lower league McNulty had scored 6 goals this time last year.

He was written off and ponticelli banded about as being the solution back then.

U23s is very different to men’s football, I can’t say I’ve seen much from Ponticelli to suggest he is going to be the 20 goal a season striker we seem to crave.

Simply writing off Chaplin as useless at this point of the season considering how much mcnulty changed peoples feeling come the end of the season frankly is ridiculous.
It's not about writing someone off, but it's not working - are you suggesting because a different striker went on a good run last season that this will come good too and that he's therefore undroppable? Not just the missed chances, but poor performances too and we need an alternative. Hiwula is dreadful and clearly Robins doesn't rate Bakayoko enough or he'd have surely been in by now. So is your answer blindly stick with CC regardless? It seems to be Robins answer so I hope for all our sake that both you and he are right!

clint van damme

It's not about writing someone off, but it's not working - are you suggesting because a different striker went on a good run last season that this will come good too and that he's therefore undroppable? Not just the missed chances, but poor performances too and we need an alternative. Hiwula is dreadful and clearly Robins doesn't rate Bakayoko enough or he'd have surely been in by now. So is your answer blindly stick with CC regardless? It seems to be Robins answer so I hope for all our sake that both you and he are right!

I wonder where we'd be now if we'd binned Mcnulty off at the end of last November.
His stats at the time weren't as good as Chaplins are.

SKYBLUES90

I'm not suggesting anything other than its funny how when someone either doesn't score or we don't win a game the panic button is pressed.

Rewind to last month you wouldn't be saying we need an alternative or that Hiwula is dreadful because we won 6 in a row and he scored in 3 of those games.

Robins can't go from manager of the month to clueless the following, I'm sure he does know what he's doing and is doing what he needs to do to improve that.

rob9872

I'm not sure how many times I've read that because we didn't bin McNulty and he came good like it's a barometer for a striker woefully out of form to blindly stick with. Chaplin came up with a scrappy goal at the death on Friday, but before the goal he had been poor again. His general all round performance (imo) hasn't been good enough, so far, to warrant an auto starting spot. I think people expect so much from him, but there is no cohesion with JCH and he consistently misses 1 on 1s.

We don't have a direct replacement for JCH with Max injured, then we need to either find a new way of playing or persevere with him and JCH/Chaplin are not a pairing that works.

CCFC88

Pretty short sighted vision in my opinion, let him go and learn the game on loan in L2 where he is starting week in week out, it will be more beneficial in the long run.

rob9872

Pretty short sighted vision in my opinion, let him go and learn the game on loan in L2 where he is starting week in week out, it will be more beneficial in the long run.
I'd agree if I didn't think that was true for Bakayoko, Hiwula and Chaplin too.

SKYBLUES90

I'd agree if I didn't think that was true for Bakayoko, Hiwula and Chaplin too.

Just out of interest why does Johnson Clarke Harris not fall into that bracket?

Considering all three of those players have a better goals per minute ratio than him this season.

rob9872

Considering all three of those players have a better goals per minute ratio than him this season.
Because he does a different job and the only direct replacement we have for him (Max) is injured.

Otis

Ponticellii not ready yet i don't think, hence the loan.

Hopefully he can ply his trade at a lower level and shine and then come back ready for first team football here.

larry_david

Yer ponti has to continue the loan. Game time, away from here. He'll learn, grow as a player and come back with some goals and experience under his belt.

Hiwula has the best scoring record of our strikers. His touch last night though was 6 aside on a Wed night down Leamington High school

SKYBLUES90

Because he does a different job and the only direct replacement we have for him (Max) is injured.

Different job!? He’s a striker who’s job is to score goals the same as the rest of the mentioned players...of which have scored the same amount or 1 less than he has this season.

On that basis bin him off aswell and play Ponti up front on his own.

pastythegreat

I wonder where we'd be now if we'd binned Mcnulty off at the end of last November.
His stats at the time weren't as good as Chaplins are.
McNulty wasn't wasting chances at every opportunity. These comparisons between McNulty and Chaplin are becoming a bit ridiculous.
1) McNulty not scoring wasn't down to wasting chances, it was a number of factors. Playing a formation that didn't suit (4231), having 2 massively greedy wingers not feeding him. It's no coincidence that when Duke went back and JJ got injured and we started playing 442, McNulty started scoring for fun.
Chaplin on the other hand has been playing as the main striker in a 442, he's had chance after chance after 1on1 after 1on1. He's just not a natural goalscorer.
Also, while were on comparisons, the main one for me....... McNulty was FREE, Chaplin is set to cost us £500k. HALF A MILLION POUNDS STERLING.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

McNulty wasn't wasting chances at every opportunity. These comparisons between McNulty and Chaplin are becoming a bit ridiculous.
1) McNulty not scoring wasn't down to wasting chances, it was a number of factors. Playing a formation that didn't suit (4231), having 2 massively greedy wingers not feeding him. It's no coincidence that when Duke went back and JJ got injured and we started playing 442, McNulty started scoring for fun.
Chaplin on the other hand has been playing as the main striker in a 442, he's had chance after chance after 1on1 after 1on1. He's just not a natural goalscorer.
Also, while were on comparisons, the main one for me....... McNulty was FREE, Chaplin is set to cost us £500k. HALF A MILLION POUNDS STERLING.

Yes Chaplin is costing £500K, but he's also playing in a higher league.
And Mcnulty was missing chances.
Look at what was being posted about him this time last year, pretty much a carbon copy.
I can't guarantee Chaplin will come good but I'm prepared to give him more time.

pastythegreat

Yes Chaplin is costing £500K, but he's also playing in a higher league.
And Mcnulty was missing chances.
Look at what was being posted about him this time last year, pretty much a carbon copy.
I can't guarantee Chaplin will come good but I'm prepared to give him more time.
He wasn't missing anything like the amount of chances Chaplin is.

Grendel

From what I have seen of Ponticelli I don't think he looks like a pro footballer at all

There I said it

pastythegreat

He wasn't getting into positions to get that sort of chance, he just ran around a bit
Because we were playing 4231 with Biamou as a lone striker. Whenever he did make decent positions Team Duke and Team Jodi played for themselves and took the wild 25 yard worldly instead of making the pass.

Grendel

Because we were playing 4231 with Biamou as a lone striker. Whenever he did make decent positions Team Duke and Team Jodi played for themselves and took the wild 25 yard worldly instead of making the pass.

He looked like a player from well down the league pyramid - also his work rate and fitness were laughable

Gazolba

<snip>

How do you know he’s the best natural finisher at the club? We have seen so little of him. <snip>
That's what the U23 coach was quoted as saying!
Natural finishing ability is something inherent, it's not related to the level you are playing at.
In my opinion, it's more mental than physical.

Last edited:

Gazolba

McNulty was no good, but he became good.
Chaplin is no good, so he will become good.
Flawed logic.

superskyblue

JCH seems to get away with barely any criticism. If I was replacing one of our strikers it would most certainly be him, and not Chaplin.

clint van damme

from the little I've seen he's a decent finisher and he seems to have a strikers natural instinct which can't be said for some of our forwards.
However, he looks very raw and there are several aspects of his game need working on including his fitness. Definitely thing he benefit massively from a run of games in a lower league.

stevefloyd

Ponti looks like a young kid trying to impress his dad.
Chaplin has had plenty of gilt edged opportunities and generally fluffed them he reacts better in the box rather than having to think about it.
Jch needs a fucking slap if he can only start performing when we are 3 down, if thats the case stick him on the bench and tell him he will only come on when we're losing.

higgs

The thing about mcnulty last season is that we didn't spend 500k on him

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread