Questions answered for the Scunthorpe Telegraph (1 Viewer)

rob9872

The sports editor from the Scunthorpe Telegraph asked for some background info on me and my opinions on a few things about the City before Friday's game, as they like to do a piece on the away fans view.

I've submitted the answers below, but obviously they are my opinions so I thought you might want to agree/disagree with some or all of it :) :

Hi Chris

No problem mate, I would be more than willing to offer my take on our current plight. Unfortunately the Telegraph fans site where you first made your request, is no longer available to us. I have no idea why the forum collapsed but it has been unavailable now for a couple of months. I post regularly on the “Sky Blues Talk” forum now and that is a much more vibrant community. I will post a copy of this there and let you have some further feedback afterwards.

For your info, I am 38 years old and have been a fan of the club since I was 6 (first game a 1-0 home win v Liverpool) and a season ticket holder for over 20 years. I was born in Coventry but now live in Warwick and my current seat is in Block 24 (close to the corner between the Tesco and the Telegraph stand) where I regularly attend matches with my dad. However, we have decided to move to some new ‘lucky’ seats in block 18 next season.

How much have the Sky Blues' financial worries affected what's gone on the pitch this season?

I think its an easy excuse to blame boardroom manoeuvres when things are not going well on the pitch. Clearly there are financial problems, but on the pitch we were more affected by some ill-timed injuries and suspensions in addition to the style of football and a lack of confidence throughout a spell where a lot of the top sides were played consecutively. Where the financial worries were evident on pitch, was the lack of additions and even the willingness to take some emergency goalkeeping cover back in the loan window, which gave a very bleak outlook. It has since transpired that we are under a transfer embargo but without any clarity on how long this has been in place.

Do fans fear for the future? What extent is their debt currently at?

I think if you had asked this question just a few weeks ago the answer would have been vastly different. At that time we were anticipating a 10 point administration deduction which would have thrown us right into the relegation fight and we would have been happy just to know that we would still have a club to support next season. Since then some of the gloom appears to have been lifted.

Whether it is PR spin or whether there is substance to the promises we don’t know, but the hedge fund which owns the club (SISU) have made assurances that we have investment to cover all debts and meet all commitments until the end of the current campaign. After then who knows? We have a rival consortium supposedly ready and interested to takeover which includes former director (Gary Hoffman) and chairman (Ray Ranson), however as yet no official bid has been tabled.

With regards to the current level of debt, we really have no idea. The debt on the 2009 accounts filed at companies house, was all owed to SISU who were financing it under a firm called “Sky Blue Sports and Leisure Limited” and that was to the tune of £50m. Since then we are told that we are losing anywhere between £60k-£80k per week, but whether that is accurate we don’t know because everything is shrouded in mystery including all sales and purchases of players and they have yet to file last years accounts (which is part of the reason for the embargo).

Andy Thorn seems to have the players support to succeed Aidy Boothroyd, what have supporters made of him?

Initially we were all very sceptical of a scout who was for want of a better term the “Chairman’s puppet” and looked like a cheap option (as we’re still paying off both Boothroyd and Coleman). That said, we were willing to stand behind whoever was in charge and plenty of big names with reputations have previously failed so he was worth a try.

So far things have been great, albeit a honeymoon period in which we have played none of the top sides. But the style of football rather than the results after watching so much negativity under Coleman and ‘hoofball’ tactics under Boothroyd are what has really galvanised the support behind him. We now just hope that the board don’t jump ship in the summer because of his lack of experience. He has brought a refreshing approach and long may it continue.

Results have markedly improved of late, what's that been down to?

A few things really. We have a new manager, players in form returning from injury and suspension, a new style of play and a new formation, confidence and belief, opposition have been teams that we feel we could and should be competing against, but the most telling point in my opinion, is that the players look like they are enjoying being given the freedom to express themselves and be comfortable in possession. It’s difficult to tell how it’s really progressing until we either play one of the contending sides or until we have reason to play for something other than mid-table obscurity ... but I guess you can only beat what’s in front of you.

2010/11 has been another campaign spent largely looking over their shoulders, what needs to happen for CCFC to get back to battling at the top end of the Championship? Is this a realistic ambition for next season?

Quite simply we need some investment in the playing staff, not just in recruiting but to retain what we currently have. Without investment it is likely to be more of the same and would be an unrealistic ambition. Many key players are out of contract in June and there is not much left that can be sold to balance the books.

We have been very fortunate this season to have enjoyed watching Marlon King in recent months. Whether you agree or not with his involvement after his off-field problems have been discussed from every angle on the local fans online boards, but what is unquestionable is the fact that MK is clearly too good at this level. This has only served to highlight our past deficiencies in the final third since dropping into this league ten seasons ago and how it is imperative that we do all we can to hold onto him for next season.

In reality it looks like we will lose him along with our goalkeeper (Westwood) who has also been an integral part over the past couple of seasons. If we can find a way of holding on to one or both, appoint Thorn as full-time manager and get some of our long term injuries back then we could definitely achieve considerably more than this season and with a bit of luck squeeze into that top six, but being a City supporter often feels like Groundhog Day as it’s like an annual event around this time of the season that we hold the belief things will get better.

I hope this is all ok, but if you require any further information, then please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best regards and good luck (but not for Friday)

Rich

cracking answers Rob. I think you can safely say that I agree with you on your comments. Rob for President.

kg82

Agree with pretty much averything you say but I wouldn't agree with his last question. Apart from a few weeks we haven't really been looking over our shoulders and even in that few weeks I think we were always at least 7 points clear of the dreaded zone, so I wouldn't say a large part was spent looking over our shoulders! That might come across as pedantic but it's really not meant to be. Again, it's down to media coverage - nobody's cared about us for most of the season and the only things really reported on have been financial difficulties, the long bad run and getting dragged towards the foot of the table, no wonder everybody thinks we've spent the whole season trying to keep above water!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Couldnt have put it better myself Rob. Great reply and a good summation of where we are and have been this season:claping hands:

rob9872

Cheers guys, glad I was speaking for all of us then :D

Disorganised1

I presum they will add all the 'innits' before they publish it ?

The Reverend Skyblue

Nice one Rob, agree with everything you said.
Hopefully next year the seasons summary will include more positives than negatives.
Well done

The Rev

Covstu

good post roberto. Just saying what we are all thinking at the moment, i do agree with KG that we have not been looking over our shoulders and that actually this season we were talking about looking pwards for the first time in so many years. Sadly the annual plummet happened!!

Users who are viewing this thread