Red card offences (1 Viewer)

Otis

Anyone see the Wolves v Swansea game in the FA Cup highlights?

I can't find the thread where this was discussed re cynical trips, shirt pulling, pullbacks etc., but the Fer red card is exactly the type of offence that some of us were arguing SHOULD be a red card.

Just a cynical trip with no intention of getting the ball. All the pundits and their manager saying it was only a yellow card offence, but I really think that is exactly the type of offence that should be an immediate red.

Otis

It comes down to consistency though, some refs would give a yellow.

Just watching Everton highlights and the Everton player seems to pull the official out of the way.
Yeah, he did.

I am advocating a rule change. I hate to see players making absolutely no attempt whatsoever to make a tackle and just trip up or pull back a player knowing they will only receive a yellow card.

Cynical offence should result in a red.

Otis

Fer definitely a red for me but refs need to be consistent!
Yep. I was applauding the ref for that, but everyone else is saying it was harsh and should have just been a yellow.

It was exactly the type of offence that needs kicking out of the game.

If you knew you were going to get a red for deliberately tripping someone up, or wrestling them to the ground, or stopping them in their tracks by pulling them back by their shirt it would soon all stop. Consequence of a red card obviously that much severe and much more damage caused to the team.

My take on that he could have given Leroy Fer 2 yellow cards there is about 5 secs!!! I can understand why people are saying it could have been yellow, but that was about as cynical as it gets and was rightly dealt with and you don't have to follow football for long to know that refs are always looking to even up numbers after sending someone off from the other team.

Not that I'm sure this will be overly popular here but Wolves are along with Napoli the best team we have played this season in Manchester, I'm shocked that they didn't turn Swansea over at first time of asking, even so if I was a Swansea supporter I wouldn't be booking my train ticket to whoever they draw in the next round quite yet!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Yep. I was applauding the ref for that, but everyone else is saying it was harsh and should have just been a yellow.

It was exactly the type of offence that needs kicking out of the game.

If you knew you were going to get a red for deliberately tripping someone up, or wrestling them to the ground, or stopping them in their tracks by pulling them back by their shirt it would soon all stop. Consequence of a red card obviously that much severe and much more damage caused to the team.

Fleck would have been sent off every game if it was a straight red mind, he used to do it every game, they’d run past him on the counter and he’s just kick their ankles!
As a fan you usually say “good yellow”, should be a red, it’ll be interesting if that ref does it next time!

tommydazzle

IMG_1264.JPG Yes hate all this cynical stuff. A red for me. Just like shirt pulling in the box - spotted this Forest v Arsenal today: Worrall clearly holding Mertesacker's shirt as Forest score.

tommydazzle

As you say, could be stamped out overnight by punishing the offenders which punishes the team. Can't understand why it's not done. Same as mobbing the ref, should be captain only talking to ref, if at all. Diving should also be instant dismissal imo. Go upstairs for referrals - should only take seconds.

Otis

As you say, could be stamped out overnight by punishing the offenders which punishes the team. Can't understand why it's not done. Same as mobbing the ref, should be captain only talking to ref, if at all. Diving should also be instant dismissal imo. Go upstairs for referrals - should only take seconds.
Couldn't agree more. We can make it the beautiful game once again.

stevefloyd

I think Fifa, Uefa and the FA should all get their heads together and give retrospective bans to ANY player cheating and ban them for at least 6 games, I think their managers would soon start to get pissed off at losing players for cheating but the limp wristed tossers won't do anything to upset the darlings

fernandopartridge

The game these days is dreadful. Genuine tackles outlawed, cheating gets a warning. That overrated flat track bully Alli should be banned.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Otis

The game these days is dreadful. Genuine tackles outlawed, cheating gets a warning. That overrated flat track bully Alli should be banned.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
It can be arse about face at times.

A genuine attempt at a tackle that is very, very fractionally mistimed can earn a red, while a cynical, deliberate trip or wrestle to the ground earns a yellow.

How on earth can that be right?

Ian1779

I'd like to see a sin-bin introduced for the cynical stuff like you have mentioned. 10 minutes for each offence.

Otis

Now here's a question, I wonder if a ref has done the following:

Seen a yellow card, offence, but has allowed play to go on with a mind to issue a yellow card when play stops, but then the same player commits a second yellow card offence during the continuing play and therefore when play has stopped, the ref has issued two yellow cards for the two offences?

Now here's a question, I wonder if a ref has done the following:

Seen a yellow card, offence, but has allowed play to go on with a mind to issue a yellow card when play stops, but then the same player commits a second yellow card offence during the continuing play and therefore when play has stopped, the ref has issued two yellow cards for the two offences?
I was talking about this at work with a referee today and he said that you could in theory have multiple cards and play can flow on until the advantage ends

Otis

I was talking about this at work with a referee today and he said that you could in theory have multiple cards and play can flow on until the advantage ends
Ah, but what if the player commits two yellow card offences, meaning he shouldn't even be on the field of play, but then during the continuing play he actually goes and scores?

A player who should be already off the field despite the ref deciding to give him two yellow cards and throw him out of the game.

Deep.

SBAndy

Ah, but what if the player commits two yellow card offences, meaning he shouldn't even be on the field of play, but then during the continuing play he actually goes and scores?

A player who should be already off the field despite the ref deciding to give him two yellow cards and throw him out of the game.

Deep.

The referee must stop play if an opponent is to be dismissed, he cannot play advantage. In your example, he would play advantage for the first bookable offence and allow play to continue, but if the same player committed a second bookable offence in that passage of play the referee would have to blow his whistle, award him 2 yellows and send him off, regardless of whether there was a goal scoring opportunity or not.

The 2 yellows thing happened to someone not too long ago, have a feeling it was Chris Baird or someone on international duty for one of the Irelands.

Otis

Thought that might be the case, but then of course if the ref stops play he might stop an absolutely cracking chance for the team with the advantage to score.

What happens if the second offence happens and before he blows his whistle the team with the advantage play a through ball that leaves a striker one on one with the goalkeeper and that player scores as the ref blows his whistle.

He obviously according to the rules you have alluded to, has to stop play, but could in turn stop a goal being scored.

I reckon there would be a right old kerfuffle and lots of anger if that scenario was ever to occur.

tommydazzle

The Chelsea v Norwich game last night. Plenty of controversy about the VAR but the Pedro dive so blatantly cheating should have been a straight red. That might have easily changed the outcome of that game.

Otis

I swear if I hear "the player has a right to go down" I will fucking scream. Going to ground shouldn't be a choice. At the top level game is uglier by the day
That and 'well there was contact.'

Contact? In a contact sport? Well I never.

That Morata one against Norwich was not a penalty. Unless you change the rules to that you cannot even touch a player then you have to allow some contact in the box.

As soon as the Norwich defender put his hand on the shoulder of Morata, Morata went down like a pack of cards.

Ridiculous and rightly booked after. Players go down far, far too easily and it spoils the game.

chiefdave

I swear if I hear "the player has a right to go down" I will fucking scream. Going to ground shouldn't be a choice. At the top level game is uglier by the day
And when they say if he had gone over it would have been a pen. You're basically saying he should dive.

Liquid Gold

You have that at the top of the game then you get common assault at this level that isn't even a foul. They need to level it out.

Users who are viewing this thread