Remakes of games (1 Viewer)

Covstu

There seems to be a trend of converting old games back onto new formats but are there any differences? Seen borderlands and GTA are all appearing, even games like mortal kombat are being redone. That was always my pet hate with Nintendo as regardless of what machine they released you could guarantee that you had a Mario, mario kart, star fox and zelda games which for me got a wee bit dull.

Ian1779

I think half the appeal is that you can play certain games from years ago that you just can't get your hands on anymore... Zelda for example. The original games are far superior to any reboots, so I'd rather be able to play them in the exact format instead - from a nostalgic point of view.

Otis

There seems to be a trend of converting old games back onto new formats but are there any differences? Seen borderlands and GTA are all appearing, even games like mortal kombat are being redone. That was always my pet hate with Nintendo as regardless of what machine they released you could guarantee that you had a Mario, mario kart, star fox and zelda games which for me got a wee bit dull.

I wish someone would remake our game against Worcester.

Marty

I was actually going to post something very similar. This gen has been a disaster, delays after delays, remaster after remaster. I understand why the likes of GTA V, The last of us, Halo collection are released on the newer consoles, but the likes of 'Sleeping Dogs', Metro Redux, Saints Row and Tomb Raider, all didn't deserve a remake, They weren't brilliant when they were first released. It's a cash cow and they aren't even trying to hide it. If they spent less time producing these pointless remakes, we might actually have some decent games to play.

Lets face it, both the ps3 & xbox 360 had a huge collection of decent games to play, the PS4 & Xbox One, were released too soon, they didn't give us a leap in advancement that you saw with previous gens.

ajsccfc

I'm not fussed personally. Films are remastered all the time, albums get 'special editions' and so on. It's a way to squeeze more money out of something.

Covstu

I'm not fussed personally. Films are remastered all the time, albums get 'special editions' and so on. It's a way to squeeze more money out of something.

But films are completely re-looked at, these games are not. Similar to when they do films and try and make it 3D afterwards and it just looks shit and blurry. I think Tomb Raider was the one for me where it was released on the PS3/XB360 then vertually the same game (looks and all) was released on the PS4/XB1, it was just fecking lazy!

Covstu

I think half the appeal is that you can play certain games from years ago that you just can't get your hands on anymore... Zelda for example. The original games are far superior to any reboots, so I'd rather be able to play them in the exact format instead - from a nostalgic point of view.

Agree, the old style graphics bring back those memories and then make you think 'wow, i thought these were great graphics back in the day!'

ajsccfc

But films are completely re-looked at, these games are not. Similar to when they do films and try and make it 3D afterwards and it just looks shit and blurry. I think Tomb Raider was the one for me where it was released on the PS3/XB360 then vertually the same game (looks and all) was released on the PS4/XB1, it was just fecking lazy!

Some games are too, GTA for instance got a complete visual upheaval and an entire first person perspective, TLOU had the DLC included and runs at 60fps. Some films will validate a second purchase, others you're just getting a slightly sharper picture.

At worst they're just making their product available for a new console that will be used for years as the one they originally created for is phased out, I don't think it's really impeding the progress of new titles enough to bother me.

Tad

I always wait a bit before jumping in on the new consoles due to taking a while to get them rolling out the good games, but this generation has been pretty poor so far. The indie/smaller developers have just destroyed the big "triple A" titles. As such, I'm tempted to wait it out and just use my PC for gaming now.

Maybe this E3 we will start to see some better exclusives, but for the moment, meh.

Last edited:

dutchman

The Age of Empires rehash was a disaster. Glitch-ridden from the start, it was supposedly rendered in HD but apart from some unconvincing animation, it was was just zoomed-out from the original images. There were countless updates and it was hit & miss whether it would load properly next time. Overall it was no improvement on the many fan-created game mods available.

Users who are viewing this thread