Rio Ferdinand (1 Viewer)

rob9872

Jewsons threatened to call the police when I tried to take a fence!

Real

Offence cannot be given...but can be taken. If you wish to avoid others taking offence then you choose your words carefully - we all do that already. It is sometimes, possibly most times that things are said without real offence being the intention...but it can easily be the end result.

Perhaps those who give it out then should perhaps not be so precious when they get some back, know what I mean Anton?

coundonskyblue

Offence cannot be given...but can be taken. If you wish to avoid others taking offence then you choose your words carefully - we all do that already. It is sometimes, possibly most times that things are said without real offence being the intention...but it can easily be the end result.

I agree with you on that. However that point means that a general insult can be as bad or worse than a racist one.

SkyblueBazza

I agree with you on that. However that point means that a general insult can be as bad or worse than a racist one.

I guess so yes...the level of offence taken must be variable between individuals. That's why some aren't offended/bothered by what anyone else thinks of thee mum...others are deeply sensitive about it.

I remember chanting who ate all the pies at Mick Quinn, or he's got no hair and we don't care at Gregg Downs....how is it different? Not saying it was right, and I certainly support any action to remove racism or homophobia from sport, BUT why isn't weightist or gingerist chanting dealt with in the same way? Or Incester songs, or we can see you holding hands vs Brighton??????? Unlike in the England case the above are direct and clear abuse but ignored, whereas the England chants are a) unsubstantiated even by FARE and b) insinuated but not direct, and yet this is a bigger issue.

It seems to me that there is a witch hunt in football at the moment ever since big Ron forgot he was on air! ( incidentally a manager who was the first to sign predominantly black players at WBA...actions obviously not as loud as words?)

Brighton Sky Blue

Black players get abuse from the stands for other reasons than racism, like this example against San Marino-that's all there is to it. If it was a white player nobody would've kicked up a fuss.

rob9872

Justin fashanu said it was more difficult being gay than black .... because he didn't have to tell his parents that he was black.

Users who are viewing this thread