Robbie Simpson on the Ricohhh (1 Viewer)

rupert_bear

Nov 14, 2012
Builing a new ground with a capacity of 32000 when at the time our home support was less than 19000 was the pottiest idea ever and was never going to work.

J

Jack Griffin

Blame Bryan Richardson for building a 32K seater stadium when 25K was the right capacity.

I believe had he done that from the outset the club would be in a much much better position today, lower cost to build, better atmosphere thus better form, lower maintenance costs, possibly more room to put alternative profit generating facilities on the site etc. etc.

Still can't turn back the clock, we are where we are.

Jan 15, 2013
at the time the stadium would easily have been sold out ; at the point of it being with roof, retracting pitch etc... we were in the prem, look at the first season ticket sales for the championship! we would have done 28000 to 30000 every week

coop

Aug 30, 2011
Builing a new ground with a capacity of 32000 when at the time our home support was less than 19000 was the pottiest idea ever and was never going to work.
They thought we would attract more fans as did derby when they moved to a new ground

coundonskyblue

Mar 24, 2011
Pot kettle black there from Mr Simpson me thinks.

On average the Ricoh is 33% full, Oldham's is 29% full.

PVA

Apr 22, 2011
Robbie is an absolutely top guy. Definitely the nicest footballer I've ever met!

Him or Baker anyway.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Nov 18, 2011
not gods golden acre
Blame Bryan Richardson for building a 32K seater stadium when 25K was the right capacity.

I believe had he done that from the outset the club would be in a much much better position today, lower cost to build, better atmosphere thus better form, lower maintenance costs, possibly more room to put alternative profit generating facilities on the site etc. etc.

Of course the benefit of Hindsight is always the most useful human ally- that said.. hindsight or foresight? building a ground of any size- to rent not own with little or no revenue stream other than ticket sales was the biggest faux pas. Hindsight? Dereliction of duty as custodians of the club it could be argued. Risk taking of the highest magnitude another.

Last edited:

covcity4life

Apr 16, 2010
Premier league is bigger now then back then.

I reckon wed he'd 32k 5-6 times a season in prem

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
They thought we would attract more fans as did derby when they moved to a new ground

And it did, check the attendances pre and post Ricoh. Problem was it also coincided with our poorest run for decades.

It needs to be the size it is to attract all the other events I've rugby and international football. Well fill it if we get back to the Prem, even if it's only 5-6 games a season the extra money is worth it.

mattylad

Mar 24, 2011
Robbie is an absolutely top guy. Definitely the nicest footballer I've ever met!

Him or Baker anyway.
yep met him in tesco's after a game and he was a totally down to earth decent human being

Gynnsthetonic

Mar 9, 2012
I think the ground should be temporary converted to a 20,000 seater by dropping a big curtains half way down the stands with a big advertisement on them
Or close the telegraph stand and we have half the away stand would be a much better atmosphere
Or build a new stadium on land between Stoney Stanton Rd and Foleshill Rd by the Courtaulds clock tower

SydneySkyBlue

Nov 4, 2010
Robbie's only telling us something we already know there. There's no doubt it's a contributing factor to our poor home form over the years.

Diehard Si

Feb 27, 2008

From the outset it was supposed to be 45000 seater!

I think we should defo either close a stand or two or the top 10 rows or something and cover them up with netting etc or advertising.

Users who are viewing this thread