Robin Williams dead (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

I don't get shocked by celebrity deaths often, in fact I can only recall two in my lifetime that have generally moved me, and this is one of them, genuinely sad about one of my favourite actors dying.

R.I.P. to a genuinely lovely man.

Otis

Very good actor, but didn't find him that funny myself.

Still, a talented man who could seemingly turn his hand to anything.

RIP

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Only slightly surprised by this news. Yet another "celebrity" dies as a result of drug use. Yes, I know the exact cause of death hasn't been announced yet, but they say it was apparent suicide and he has been suffering depression for years due to drug and drink problems. Sorry he's passed away and all that, but I get angry when lives are wasted because of drug use.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
It seems that everybody is on drugs.

Not me Nick. Bloody stupid waste of time! (Ok, I've had the odd Morrocan Woodbine now and again, many, many years ago, but I was bought up in the swinging sixties! :))

Otis

I've had cocaine once.

But that was only because it was stuck up my nose at hospital during an operation on my sinuses. Besides that, never ever taken or tried anything. Find I have a natural high anyway and don't need drugs.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Gents- respectfully perhaps its best not to speculate on cause of death until the coroner report. He had an illness called depression, he had used drugs and abused alcohol as read. The two can be mutually exclusive- I know.
The mantra of fine line between "Genius and a troubled mind" upheld perhaps?

Irrespective RIP Robin.

Covstu

I was gutted when i heard this, great actor. My 3 yr old daughters favourite film is Hook at the moment so certainly going to watch that from a different perspective now. He suffered from depression for a long time which they think was a major factor in the cause of death. I know a few people who suffer from the same condition and it is really tough to cope with at times.

RIP Peter Pan

Grendel

God they are not going to show Dead Poets Society again are they?

bringbackrattles

Great actor and fine comic but yet another celebrity dying in suspicious circumstances.
Depression is an illness but often you read about these stars abusing drugs etc.It ain't glamorous or "cool" but impressionable people copy their idols as they think if they do it so therefore so will I. I dabbled a bit many years back but grew out of it,but I've mentioned on here before my youngest son has a cannabis addiction but won't admit to it so I know all about the shitty side of drugs.

Joy Division

A fine fine actor who will be greatly missed.

It was horrible enough to wake up to news of his death but the suicide reports make it even sadder. He's had his drug and alcohol demons but people really need to seperate that and his depression that he has faced for such a long time.

ohitsaidwalker king power

A fine fine actor who will be greatly missed.

It was horrible enough to wake up to news of his death but the suicide reports make it even sadder. He's had his drug and alcohol demons but people really need to seperate that and his depression that he has faced for such a long time.

Precisely.... my previous point.. well said...

shmmeee

Only slightly surprised by this news. Yet another "celebrity" dies as a result of drug use. Yes, I know the exact cause of death hasn't been announced yet, but they say it was apparent suicide and he has been suffering depression for years due to drug and drink problems. Sorry he's passed away and all that, but I get angry when lives are wasted because of drug use.

Sorry, you've got the cart before the horse there. The drink and drug problems are due to depression, in this and almost every case.

People don't turn to drugs because they're happy with reality.

On topic: Genuinely gutted about this, watched Aladdin with my 4 yo today in his honour. Sure he was hit and miss, but his hits were outstanding and his heart was always in the right place. Seemed to be a genuinely decent bloke.

ccfc92

Genuinely upset of the news this morning.

Many of my childhood films had Robin Williams in.

Was only watching night at the museum and family guy which had an episode on about him last night on BBC3, then woke up to this news :(

People need to understand mental illness/depression can affect anyone, rich or poor.

I sincerely hope he has found peace, and wish his family all the best.

RIP

Flying Fokker

Robin Williams tried to slit his wrist with a pocket knife but when that suicide attempt failed he hanged himself with a belt.

The Marin County Deputy Coroner says Williams was at home alone Monday when he tried slashing his left wrist, but it only left "acute superficial cuts."

The Coroner says Williams then took a belt, tied it around his neck and secured it between the closet door and door frame. Williams was in a seated position, slightly suspended with his right shoulder against the door.

The Coroner also confirmed TMZ's story ... Robin's personal assistant discovered his body.

The official says the actor had been receiving treatment for depression. As we reported ... Robin had been severely depressed and went to a Minnesota rehab facility last month.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/12/robin...uicide-hanging-news-conference/#ixzz3ACvzMYUf

shmmeee

Can doctors do that? :eek:

Cocaine and opium were used a lot. In fact a lot of drug addiction to those in this country apparently started with women in WW1 being given "calm pills" to help with Air Raid shock that had all sorts of things in them.

Drug prohibition only really became a thing when racist Americans wanted to get blacks and hispanics out of their area, hence all the "Reefer Madness" videos and the like. Then America used it's trade power to force every other country to follow suit. There's a fascinating documentary on it. The cotton industry were heavily involved as hemp was a big competitor.

Basically, drugs are legal or illegal for political reasons rather than moral or health ones.

Before you say you're "high on life", make sure you're caffeine, sugar and alcohol free as they are just as addictive and can be just as dangerous. Or maybe save the moral high horse completely.

Users who are viewing this thread