Ronaldo Says He's Best Ever Player (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Diego Maradona has slammed Cristiano Ronaldo for boasting he's the best footballer ever. Maradona says that claim is nonsensical and ridiculous. But Ronaldo still claims that he has never seen anyone better than him. My question is : Do you agree with his modest statement ? He is good but the best is debatable. The best player I've ever seen was a young Gazza and Bobby Charlton. But Pele must be number 1 ?

ConnorDevine

certainly in my lifetime there have been many who played as well as ronaldo and messi, but not over the course of 10 years. I loved watching Kaka and Ronaldinho as a kid but for me him and Messi are a cut above anyone else.

CJ_covblaze

No. He’s not even the best Ronaldo ever. There are a number of players I’d have over him and Messi from the recent past.

Gazolba

You can't really say one player is the best ever since there are different skills required for different positions.
Strikers are the glamour positions and most people would pick a striker as the best ever player.
But who is to say a midfielder, defender or goal-keeper wasn't the best ever.
The best striker I have ever seen was the Brazilian Ronaldo. When he was at his peak, he was unplayable.

ccfctommy

If your talking about the best ever, then it really should be a list of very few...

For example,

Messi
Maradonna
Cruyff
C. Ronaldo
Pele ...maybe even Garrincha (some older Brazillians are adamant he was the better player)
Eusebio...
Beckenbaur

I mean, there realistically about a few hundred players over the years of football that can be considered technically brilliant. World class. The bes tof an era. However, I think if you give it thought, only a small list of ten can be considered to be the 'best ever'. Also, as with any of these greatest ever lists (even my mini list) is waaaay biased towards forwards and strikers.

For what it's worth, I think Messi and Christiano Ronaldo have to be in the discussion, they are the best players by a mile from our era. They are in their thirties now and are at te peak of their powers. For Ronaldo to do what he does at the age of 33 is remarkable. Maybe the top players are way more fitter in this age, but most of the other greats were on the downward after 30.

Ronaldo is a good shout, best player in the 90's for me, with his contempories at Barca Rivaldo, but there will always be that France 98 final where he went missing.

CJ_covblaze

If your talking about the best ever, then it really should be a list of very few...

For example,

Messi
Maradonna
Cruyff
C. Ronaldo
Pele ...maybe even Garrincha (some older Brazillians are adamant he was the better player)
Eusebio...
Beckenbaur

I mean, there realistically about a few hundred players over the years of football that can be considered technically brilliant. World class. The bes tof an era. However, I think if you give it thought, only a small list of ten can be considered to be the 'best ever'. Also, as with any of these greatest ever lists (even my mini list) is waaaay biased towards forwards and strikers.

For what it's worth, I think Messi and Christiano Ronaldo have to be in the discussion, they are the best players by a mile from our era. They are in their thirties now and are at te peak of their powers. For Ronaldo to do what he does at the age of 33 is remarkable. Maybe the top players are way more fitter in this age, but most of the other greats were on the downward after 30.

Ronaldo is a good shout, best player in the 90's for me, with his contempories at Barca Rivaldo, but there will always be that France 98 final where he went missing.

Moore? Best? Banks? Law? Schmeichel? Giggs? Maldini?

bringbackrattles

Puskas has to be on any list of any era. And if anybody had seen Colin Bell in his prime at Man City they would put him in too. My late father waxed lyrical over Duncan Edwards who football experts rate as way ahead of his time,but sadly died young.

CJ_covblaze

Maldini was brilliant, one of the best defenders ever. Best has to e up their too, shame he squandered his talent of alchoholism. I dont think a keeper can be classed as the best ever!

Why not? They’re as important as any other player.

clint van damme

Didn't something happen to Ronaldo just before that final, he collapsed or had some sort of fit?

rondog1973

Maradonna's the best I've seen, because he dragged some mediocre sides to success single handed. Messi's been superb, but he's done it in a great side, and not managed to do it for his national team. tbf Ronaldo ain't half bad...
Precisely. Burrachaga and Valdano were pretty decent, but the rest of the Argentina 86 world cup team were workmanlike at best and yet Maradona hauled them to glory. Don't think Ronaldo is even the best in his era.

Wins most narcissistic player of all time by a country mile though.

bringbackrattles

Inportant yeah but how can you be considered the best footballer in a position where you seldom use your feet?
Keepers never get mentioned in best ever players,but why not ? Some may say it's the most important position on the pitch, so for that reason Gordon Banks is going on the list !

Liquid Gold

To be considered one of the best players ever you have to have some extraordinary acheivement
Pele scored a thousand goals and led his team to 3 world cup wins
Maradonna led an average Argentina to the world cup and an average Napoli to Serie A when it was the best league in the world
Cruyff created a whole new style of football that influences teams to this day

What has Ronaldo done that compares, or Messi for that matter.

NorthernWisdom

What has Ronaldo done that compares, or Messi for that matter.
I wouldn't put him in the same league as Maradona, but tbf to Ronaldo, his stack of medals is pretty big, and he did drag a pretty ordinary Portugal side closer to success than it deserved.

(Edit: Forgot Figo et al! Leave that bit open to debate but I didn't think they were *that* great later on when they all got old and wizened)

It's his own ego that stops him getting the acclaim from fans as a footballer that he maybe deserves... but then I guess it's his own ego that gives him the belief to do what he does.

Marty

Fat Ronaldo was far superior, and to think he never reached his full potential due to injuries is just staggering. I think Ronaldo is the best player in the world currently but when you throw in the likes of Cruff, Best, Moore, Beckenbauer, Pirlo, Buffon, Zidane, Figo, hes not all the special in the grand scheme of things.

Liquid Gold

Pele's 1000 goals were bollocks. They include tons of charity games.

Messi for example has scored 72 goals in a single season for example.
But he's won nothing outside of the best club team in football, done nothing for Argentina despite being surrounded by incredible talent

I wouldn't put him in the same league as Maradona, but tbf to Ronaldo, his stack of medals is pretty big, and he did drag a pretty ordinary Portugal side closer to success than it deserved.

It's his own ego that stops him getting the acclaim from fans as a footballer that he maybe deserves... but then I guess it's his own ego that gives him the belief to do what he does.
Portugal won that Euros yes but Ronaldo was pretty average, scored 3 goals and they only won 1(?) game inside 90 minutes. You could pick any of the players in that Real team as having a stack of medals, would they have won them without him? Debatable. The point still stands though that I can't see anything extraordinary that really marks him out.

tisza

Messi for me.
Who would you pay to go and watch?
There's always something Messi does in a game that'll get you out of your seat whether he scores or not.
Since Ronaldo joined Real he's got 2 La Liga & 3 CL against Messi's 5 La Liga (probably 6 after this season) & 2 CL.

CCFC88

You could pick any of the players in that Real team as having a stack of medals, would they have won them without him? Debatable. The point still stands though that I can't see anything extraordinary that really marks him out.

He's won back to back Champs Leagues, something on other team had done, he scored twice in the final, a hatrick in the semi, and 5 over two legs in the quarters, I think its fair to say they wouldn't have retained the trophy without him.

He's dominated the two best leagues in the world, winning the Ballon dor, leagues, domestic and European cups for 2 different teams, and he's won a major trophy with his country.

I think people forget about how good he was at Man United before he moved to Real.

Not sure how you can compare him with the greats of the past as the game is so much more professional now compared to years gone by where players would be playing hungover/pissed even into the mid nineties.

Terry Gibson's perm

The pele legend has grown since retirement mainly by himself and the 1000 goals although the truth count for nothing you can’t count his goals in escape to victory I am not sure how Messi and Ronaldo would have coped with defenders that could tackle like maradona had to

Maradona
Ronaldo the new one
Messi

The best defender I have seen was Maldini a rolls Royce footballer

ajsccfc

Messi and Ronaldo are probably the most consistent footballers ever, but nobody's touching Maradona as far as the best goes. With goalkeepers you almost have to consider them a separate category, I'd go Buffon.

covcity4life

No. He’s not even the best Ronaldo ever. There are a number of players I’d have over him and Messi from the recent past.

old ronaldo defintley up there. who else can seriously rival messi? this is more to do with you thinking foreign football is shit again.

fernandopartridge

Also, C Ronaldo over Messi as he also lifted a very average Portugal team to win Euro 2016, has won trophies in two countries and been an absolute talisman for two massive clubs

Users who are viewing this thread