Salford City (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Are they conference now?

Yes, conference for next season. They've overtaken FC United ironically, feel a bit like they're fishing in the same pool for fans. Salford being the non league equivalent of today's Man Utd and FC being more like the purist dream of how football should be.

NorthernWisdom

Yes, conference for next season. They've overtaken FC United ironically, feel a bit like they're fishing in the same pool for fans. Salford being the non league equivalent of today's Man Utd and FC being more like the purist dream of how football should be.
Hmm, it's something I hadn't thought about before. Guess you could put together a conspiracy theory that would see a bunch of Man Utd legends buying a club to put the upstarts out of business before they get uncomfortably close to show how sharp business practice corrupts the game.

Probably ludicrous, but it could be a good one ;)

Terry Gibson's perm

Nothing likeable about this carry on at all. Ditched the two blokes who got them up 3 divisions. Neville is a wanker imo.

They could agree terms on a new deal I thought, but my view having seen them on that show is they have gone as far as their ability will take them and Salford have replaced with a far superior manager

fernandopartridge

They could agree terms on a new deal I thought, but my view having seen them on that show is they have gone as far as their ability will take them and Salford have replaced with a far superior manager

That hasn't been tested has it? They've been given the bullet before they had even had a chance next season. I've read that Salford didn't want to pay them both a bit more, I can't imagine that Alexander would be cheap considering in comparison.

clint van damme

That hasn't been tested has it? They've been given the bullet before they had even had a chance next season. I've read that Salford didn't want to pay them both a bit more, I can't imagine that Alexander would be cheap considering in comparison.

wasn't their predecessor fairly successful and was given the bullet after doing a half decent job as well?

SkyBlueSoul

Like for like, Alexander would definitely be more expensive than one of them. But that's the point, Salford were having to pay for two managers as I imagine Bern and Jonno would have been on equal pay. If you've suddenly saved the cost of 2 managers who would most likely be getting a pay rise as well, you can probably afford a manager above your level and get some change.

For me this is exciting news because I bought a season ticket for Salford about a month ago. It's walking distance for me and as a concession during early bird, it was £50 for 23 games. I made it to a few games last season and at £10 for a ticket, I only have to go 6 times next season and I've saved money.

wingy

Like for like, Alexander would definitely be more expensive than one of them. But that's the point, Salford were having to pay for two managers as I imagine Bern and Jonno would have been on equal pay. If you've suddenly saved the cost of 2 managers who would most likely be getting a pay rise as well, you can probably afford a manager above your level and get some change.

For me this is exciting news because I bought a season ticket for Salford about a month ago. It's walking distance for me and as a concession during early bird, it was £50 for 23 games. I made it to a few games last season and at £10 for a ticket, I only have to go 6 times next season and I've saved money.
How much for full price SBS?

fernandopartridge

What price loyalty in this game? No wonder people are falling out of love with football.

SkyBlueSoul

What price loyalty in this game? No wonder people are falling out of love with football.
If you're referring to Salford then I do get your point. If they haven't saved anything and have ditched their managers for asking for too much money, then got Alexander in for more, that is poor to say the least

SkyBlueSoul

Yeah I was, wasn't a dig at you (I did think it might be misconstrued)
I did wonder but figured it was sensible not to launch into a tirade before checking haha

It definitely didn't sit right with me at first. The only good thing I've taken from it is it doesn't look like they were sacked just to get Alexander in (although I could be wrong)

fernandopartridge

I did wonder but figured it was sensible not to launch into a tirade before checking haha

It definitely didn't sit right with me at first. The only good thing I've taken from it is it doesn't look like they were sacked just to get Alexander in (although I could be wrong)

Alexander is from Cov as well tbf

mark82

Nothing likeable about this carry on at all. Ditched the two blokes who got them up 3 divisions. Neville is a wanker imo.

You say ditched them but they wanted wage increases. As there are two of them it was already costing more than had been budgeted for. Club and managers couldn't agree on a compromise so went their separate ways. Think at least one of them was earning less as a full time manager than he did when he was part time and held down a job. That's the reality of non-league, even with wealthy owners.

Not sure what Alexander will be earning but they've got someone with football league experience now. Johnson & Morley had low level non-league experience prior to Salford. They've done a decent job but should be winning the league with the budget they had and probably should've gone up a year earlier. If you've watched the class of '92 documentaries, their methods do seem a bit rough around the edges. Time will tell if it's the right move but it's inevitable it was going to happen eventually.

mark82

Suspect they'll do well next season. Should have a big budget, wouldn't surprise me if they made the playoffs, particularly now they have been extended.

SkyBlueSoul

Suspect they'll do well next season. Should have a big budget, wouldn't surprise me if they made the playoffs, particularly now they have been extended.
Can only agree. They weren't very popular this season with opposition fans saying they've bought the league etc. and I can't say I blame them. Salford are sponsored by Sky Sports' Super 6 competition for gods sake.

It's hardly surprising how 6 millionaires taking over the club has coincided with 4 promotions in 5 years or whatever it is. Even though Neville et al seem to be running the club on a budget, it does seem like that budget is miles ahead of anyone else at that level.

steve82

I’ve enjoyed following the documentary and think they have been there own victims to now find themselves looking for a new job.

Agreeing terms was a issue previously and sounds like they wanted maybe the going rate or more than what the level pays for a manager and assistant being as they were joint managers.

Can understand the reasoning for letting them go and getting in a manager who has a lot of experience and can take them into the football league and continue there growth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkyBlueSoul

Neville's come out and said it's nothing to do with money, not from their side or the managers asking for too much. Was an interesting listen.

Basically said because of how intense they all are it's reached breaking point between them. Has been coming for months if not a year. To put words into his mouth it's like tectonic plates where the pressure gets so much something gives. Doesn't sound nasty though, just sounds like the end of the road

SkyBlueSoul

Transfer activity is causing a stir now, a lot of people unhappy with a how a non-league club can get away with spending so much money. Already signed 4 League One players (2 of them regulars last season) and now Rooney has signed from Aberdeen for a reported £300k on £4/5k a week.

Be interesting to see how they coped with the football league's FFP if they get promoted again.

no_loyalty

Can certainly see Salford challenging for promotion next season

SkyBlueSoul

Danny Lloyd who they’ve signed from Peterborough this week was on £90k year and described it as “peanuts”
He really hasn't helped himself there. Says he's proved himself at that level so no-one should question his ambition and that he's never played for money...having dropped 2 divisions to more than double his wages

NorthernWisdom

Personally I don't have a problem with people invested in a place or a club pumping money into a club. It's how loads of clubs get a leg up to begin with anyway. Not like even us haven't had rich benefactors in the past!

If it's to improve a football club rather than improve somebody's bank balance, so be it.

Would rather somebody built a club than just bought an established one anyway. Make Salford bigger than Man Utd, and I'd chuckle...

Otis

Personally I don't have a problem with people invested in a place or a club pumping money into a club. It's how loads of clubs get a leg up to begin with anyway. Not like even us haven't had rich benefactors in the past!

If it's to improve a football club rather than improve somebody's bank balance, so be it.

Would rather somebody built a club than just bought an established one anyway. Make Salford bigger than Man Utd, and I'd chuckle...

Salford has a local connection for these ex Man U players too doesn't it, so that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread