Same old, same old (1 Viewer)

par1sons

I often spend my time reading the oppositions forums directly after the games and once again, all the talk is about how lucky they were to stay in the game after plenty of coventry chances go begging.

Im not saying we need another striker, far from it but what needs to change to start putting these chances away?

Today we hit silly figures for shots on target again yet only score 2, one of which is a deflected own goal.

If we are to finish in the top 6, which is more realistic than automatic, we need to start converting or we risk seeing all this hard work fade away.

Robins is god, the squad is good and we are two games away from Wembley...COME ON YOU SKY BLUES--------PUSB--------

stupot07

We also need to stop conceding. 5 cleansheets in 30 games is very poor for a team with promotion ambitions.

ohitsaidwalker king power

I think MR knows this... he knows we have lost our fire power.. but replacing DM isnt easy.. I expect his one inbound player(if he can) to be a proven goalscorer.

par1sons

We also need to stop conceding. 5 cleansheets in 30 games is very poor for a team with promotion ambitions.

I couldnt agree more. I think the issue is with the midfield not supporting the defence well enough. Our midfield is great going forward and is a real bonus but when it comes to doing the ugly stuff we tend to react slowly getting back and supporting. Wood and the Edj work well together but if the support in front isnt at its best, it does reflect bad on the defence.

par1sons

I think MR knows this... he knows we have lost our fire power.. but replacing DM isnt easy.. I expect his one inbound player(if he can) to be a proven goalscorer.

Like i said, Im not sure we need another striker. Given the formation MR favours, i question whether this suits LC game. Would two up top work better? If so it would mean someone from midfield missing out.

Elliot for me needs a chance to shine. This lad can play without a doubt so two up top with Clarke and Elliot leading the line would be good. Elliot certainly knows where the net is and a cool finisher.

I dont know what the answer is but one thing is certain, Mark Robins has turned this club around and every city fan needs to repay him by selling out the JPT home leg, 25050 and counting PUSB:p

Last edited:

Gazolba

We desperately need goals so he lets Cody go and then he scores in his first game for Gillingham. Also noticed Lukas Jukiewitz scored two for Middlesbrough. Not sure Clarke is a good replacement for DMcG.

Sky Blues

Goals conceded is a bigger problem than goals scored. We've scored in 91 per cent of our league games since Robins took over, but conceded in 78 per cent. So more clean sheets should see us record more wins.

Having said that, the only games where we haven't scored in the league since Robins took over were this month so it could be a worry if it became a trend.

Last edited:

Gazolba

Poor shooting

14 shots on target according to the official statistics. One goal (other was an own goal) They had three shots on target and scored two. Still one point from any away game is acceptable (but only if we win our home games).

I often spend my time reading the oppositions forums directly after the games and once again, all the talk is about how lucky they were to stay in the game after plenty of coventry chances go begging.

Im not saying we need another striker, far from it but what needs to change to start putting these chances away?

Today we hit silly figures for shots on target again yet only score 2, one of which is a deflected own goal.

If we are to finish in the top 6, which is more realistic than automatic, we need to start converting or we risk seeing all this hard work fade away.

Robins is god, the squad is good and we are two games away from Wembley...COME ON YOU SKY BLUES--------PUSB--------

par1sons

We desperately need goals so he lets Cody go and then he scores in his first game for Gillingham. Also noticed Lukas Jukiewitz scored two for Middlesbrough. Not sure Clarke is a good replacement for DMcG.
Cody wasnt given much of chance to be fair but i ask why wasnt he given a chance. Robins obviously didnt favour him for whatever reason and i doubt we'll never find out why.

I personally i want him to bag loads at Gillingham so when his loans is up we have a striker on fire and match fit.

MR plays one up top and i dont see that changing at any point this season, so to have Clarke, ROD, Elliot and Cody on the bench is seriously wasteful when it comes to paying the wages.

Clarke has scored 3 already in 6 games,wait until he starts coverting ALL his chances!!!!!

Speng

LC looks isolated on his own up front , he needs someone to play with up their , it's very hard to drop one of our midfielders as they are doing well together , but at the end of the day were shipping a lot of goals and need to convert a few more ourselves , maybe play with someone just behind LC , not Gary mac please ,,,

stupot07

I couldnt agree more. I think the issue is with the midfield not supporting the defence well enough. Our midfield is great going forward and is a real bonus but when it comes to doing the ugly stuff we tend to react slowly getting back and supporting. Wood and the Edj work well together but if the support in front isnt at its best, it does reflect bad on the defence.

I disagree, wood and edge have been average at best this season, and the rightback position has been a liability. I agree with the midfield bar Jennings and bailey the rest don't do the ugly stuff.

par1sons

14 shots on target according to the official statistics. One goal (other was an own goal) They had three shots on target and scored two. Still one point from any away game is acceptable (but only if we win our home games).
I had 4 pts down for Preston and Sheffield United, expecting 3pts today and 1pt against the blades.

I wasnt one bit impressed by United when they played us at the Ricoh but they do have a good defence which will see our strike force having to work 20% harder than usual.

I think 2pts from these two games wouldnt be the end of the world but it would require us picking up guaranteed points against the teams lower than us in the league, something we tend struggle with.

IF we had beat Bury and Carisle, we would now be sitting 3rd place and talking automatic promotion.

Grendel

That is the real issue. We score plenty of goals. Everyone says we are a good team in this league. Defensively I suspect we are not.

par1sons

I disagree, wood and edge have been average at best this season, and the rightback position has been a liability. I agree with the midfield bar Jennings and bailey the rest don't do the ugly stuff.
If our midfield wasnt so wasteful they wouldnt be called upon so much. I've seen far too many times this season whereby we are completely in control of the game only to give the ball away in midfield and then were left relying on wood and edj to sort it out...normally they do.

The majority of fans will always look to blame the defence for failings but when you've got midfielders given the ball away, the blame starts there.

It would make interesting reading to see how many goals we have conceded due to midfield or defensive errors. It would be in my eyes 70% with midfield

par1sons

Edge got done for their second

Can see robins dropping him possibly

Cant comment on todays game as i wasnt there. The Edj can look to comfortable at times which can be a downfall but seeing him dropped would be a shame. Then again, if he was at fault today perhaps give him a rest and give someone else the chance to shine. Perhaps he hasnt got any real competition so hes gone into coast mode which is defo dangerous for city and his own game

Grendel

If our midfield wasnt so wasteful they wouldnt be called upon so much. I've seen far too many times this season whereby we are completely in control of the game only to give the ball away in midfield and then were left relying on wood and edj to sort it out...normally they do.

The majority of fans will always look to blame the defence for failings but when you've got midfielders given the ball away, the blame starts there.

It would make interesting reading to see how many goals we have conceded due to midfield or defensive errors. It would be in my eyes 70% with midfield

We've conceded a very high percentage of goals from set pieces.

par1sons

We've conceded a very high percentage of goals from set pieces.

yep and those set pieces are normally because the midfields second touch is a foul due to poor control.

Im no way slagging off the players because the team is good but these little things will be the difference between the play-offs or JUST missing out.

Next season will probably see us as favourites providing Birmingham arnt relegated but one or two teams might have worked us out by then.

Roll on the Crewe games

par1sons

Who missed all out chances today ??
Did we have any sitters ??
By all accounts we should of had 3 before they even had a sniff of scoring but thats football i suppose.

As for sitters, we've missed a few in recent weeks but not sure on todays game

ps1948

Not having gone, I can only refer to the match-thread, which described their keeper as motm - which I guess means he made several good saves.....I don't know how many bad misses our players had today, but if the keeper is on top form, then the job is more difficult.

A few people need to remember the bad start we made - 22nd at the end of September - and then be grateful we are in with a chance of the play-offs at this stage of the season.

Skybluefaz

If we had the class to convert more chances we wouldn't be in the league we are, Robins plays. very open game, we will always concede goals but hopefully score more.

Grendel

yep and those set pieces are normally because the midfields second touch is a foul due to poor control.

Im no way slagging off the players because the team is good but these little things will be the difference between the play-offs or JUST missing out.

Next season will probably see us as favourites providing Birmingham arnt relegated but one or two teams might have worked us out by then.

Roll on the Crewe games

Set pieces also include corners.

Fouls are conceded all the time. Our defenders are not great at zonal marking set pieces and get out muscled far too easily. I hope we get a new centre half in.

oakey

I can't believe anyone doesn't think we need another striker. Regardless of Clarke's form we need the option of a partner for him, another option on the bench and no injuries as it stands. We have been lucky with injuries so far but, who knows? Ball is unavailable, do you really want to rely on ROD as sole backup to Clarke and Elliott?
Robins needs to bring in another striker ASAP.

Mucca Mad Boys

I can't believe anyone doesn't think we need another striker. Regardless of Clarke's form we need the option of a partner for him, another option on the bench and no injuries as it stands. We have been lucky with injuries so far but, who knows? Ball is unavailable, do you really want to rely on ROD as sole backup to Clarke and Elliott?
Robins needs to bring in another striker ASAP.

We play 1 striker upfront, so no, we don't need a strike partner or him :facepalm:

I don't think we need to bring in a ST ASAP, I think we need to make sure we add quality who can push for a start, I think this new striker will be a sub, ahead of Elliott who'll push Clarke, or evn strt himself.

Users who are viewing this thread