Scummy online trolls (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

The only way I can see this being stopped is if anonymity online is removed. If the social networks required proof of ID and people to use their real names it would soon calm down.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
This sort of thing has been around for decades - long before the internet. Maybe not in such high numbers but back in the day they were called "poison pen letters". Sending death threats and suchlike through the postal system anonymously with no come-back at all. Nowadays it's all done electronically.

wingy

This sort of thing has been around for decades - long before the internet. Maybe not in such high numbers but back in the day they were called "poison pen letters". Sending death threats and suchlike through the postal system anonymously with no come-back at all. Nowadays it's all done electronically.
Yes but can't have been on this level H.
I guess it's multiplied by many thousands as it's so easy to join in?
That abs the ease of access .

Otis

Yes but can't have been on this level H.
I guess it's multiplied by many thousands as it's so easy to join in?
That abs the ease of access .

Yep. Exactly. You and to take time out to write a letter and post it etc. These people are already on social media and can post in a matter of seconds.

It's just so much easier to do these days.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Yep. Exactly. You and to take time out to write a letter and post it etc. These people are already on social media and can post in a matter of seconds.

That's what my post was about Otis and Wingy. I fully appreciate the fact that electronic "trolling" is so simple these days, but I was merely pointing out that this type of crime has been around for decades, even centuries, but using pen and paper.

Covstu

And easy to follow the crowd, only have to take the boat thing to show how easy that is. Any kind of threats should be taken and dealt with very seriously and penalties should be stiff. No need for it, poor girl

Liquid Gold

The only way I can see this being stopped is if anonymity online is removed. If the social networks required proof of ID and people to use their real names it would soon calm down.
I think that would be a good idea in principal but would you trust social networks to keep your details safe?

NorthernWisdom

Removing anonymity has other consequences anyway. Who wants a solely sanitised online space, where people are scared of saying anything even remotely 'controversial' in case employers (future or present) decide to use it as judgement.

As ever, most people know where the boundaries are and don't abuse it. There's enough capability to find those who do...

Users who are viewing this thread