shirt colour (1 Viewer)

jordan057

hello,

i'm an italian football fan and i'm interested at the origin of football teams

could you tell me about the origin of the Coventry City shirt?
why the club adopted sky blue colour?

thanks.

Gianfranco

Nick

Administrator
Hey,

I can't really help as to why we play in Sky Blue but I wouldn't have it any other way. Originally I think the Singers Team played in black, take a look here at a list of our kits right up until now.

Maybe somebody else can say why we got Sky Blue?

ccfc1987

Hey,

I can't really help as to why we play in Sky Blue but I wouldn't have it any other way. Originally I think the Singers Team played in black, take a look here at a list of our kits right up until now.

Maybe somebody else can say why we got Sky Blue?

i think it was when jimmy hill was at cov started calling cov sky blues im not sure from 1962 to 1967 was sky blue kit

jimmy hills wiki

In November 1961, after retiring as a player, Hill became manager of Coventry City. His time at Coventry was marked by great changes to the club, nicknamed "The Sky Blue Revolution". He changed the home kit's colours to sky blue, coining the nickname "The Sky Blues". He also penned the club song "The Sky Blue Song", sung to the tune of the Eton Boating Song. Among his other innovations were the first fully-fledged match programme in English football, and organized pre-match entertainment to encourage fans to arrive early. His partnership with the chairman D H Robbins also led to a redevelopment of the stadium, Highfield Road, with 2 new stands being built.
After winning the Division Three championship in 1963-64, and the Division Two title in 1966-67, Hill quit the club shortly before the start of the 1967-68 season.
In the 1978 season, he is known to have made Coventry City Vs Bristol City kick off 10 minutes late, allowing them to know what their relegation rivals Sunderland were doing at Everton. Sunderland eventually lost the game 2-0. Knowing that all Coventry needed to stay up was a draw, Hill made his players pass the ball around for the last 10 minutes of the game, saving Coventry from relegation (at the expense of Sunderland, Tottenham Hotspur and Stoke City).
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jimmy_Hill&action=edit&section=4

Users who are viewing this thread