Sky Blue Legend Tommy Htchinson (1 Viewer)

skybluebarry

Hi

Does anybody know the wherabouts of Tommy Hutch since he left his post at Bristol City a few years back and went back to live in Scotland.Any idea what part of the country he moved to. Seems to have completely fallen off the radar.
What a player. Thanks

Warwickhunt

Tommy hitchinson died in 1866

Gazolba

His name is Hutchison.

From Wikipedia:
On retiring from league football at the age of 43, he joined non-league Merthyr Tydfil where he played for three seasons, finally hanging-up his boots in 1994. He remained in South Wales until 2012, working as a Football Development Officer across the Severn Estuary for Bristol City, but moved back to live in Scotland.

Last edited:

hill83

A player way before my time but at least I know his actual name.

Fergusons_Beard

Shame we don't have a player like that now a legend.

If Maddison stays at the club for 3 seasons-he'll be mentioned in the same Breath as Hutch.

Especially if this stay coincides with a promotion.

Not saying he's the same class as Hutch but he's definitely getting there.

In went in off Ferguson's beard....

Warwickhunt

I know his name is Hutchinson. Sorry i'm not as perfect as you who's presumably never mispelt a name by mistake.
My Phone does it all the time my friend, we're just joshing with you so dont let it upset you

Malaka

My uncle in Cyprus speaks highly of him and says he was the only player that we had that when he got the ball everyone used to stand in anticipation. I remember him playing for Scotland, I think it was against Spain they kicked him all over the place and he ended up with a large gash on his shin and he still played on. The man is a true legend IMO and probably the only one in the years I have supported City. In fact have we had a thread nominating Sky Blue legends?

oscillatewildly

My uncle in Cyprus speaks highly of him and says he was the only player that we had that when he got the ball everyone used to stand in anticipation. I remember him playing for Scotland, I think it was against Spain they kicked him all over the place and he ended up with a large gash on his shin and he still played on. The man is a true legend IMO and probably the only one in the years I have supported City. In fact have we had a thread nominating Sky Blue legends?
Funny you should mention the element of 'anticipation'. My first game was the very last of 1974/75 season. I'd been badgering dad for quite a while to be taken to the game and I vaguely remember the feeling of excitement reaching a peak of almost hyperventilation (This was just on the walk up to the ground) and after a few minutes of standing on the kop simmering down to something like indifference. (Kids, eh?)
This mood wasn't helped much when TH received his first pass (Dad: "Here we go, watch this fella, watch this fella".) Inexplicably, TH miss controlled what was I would imagine a simple ball and it went out for a throwing to M'boro. It left me wondering quite what was it all about with this bloke? Glad to say, watching him over the next five years more than adequately answered that question.

DazzleTommyDazzle

My uncle in Cyprus speaks highly of him and says he was the only player that we had that when he got the ball everyone used to stand in anticipation.

As you've probably gathered, my username is taken from the shout that used to go up when Hutch got the ball.

And he usually did......

Tommy Hutch was a real legend - Hutch on the wing and Stein in the middle - was a chant I well remember. I've never seen anything like this pair who worked so well together.

I remember he used to have a little drink in the Rainbow in Allesley. Didn't mind being disturbed to discuss football, but mostly the locals would leave him to his privacy.

One memory I have is at Anfield when TH absolutely pi:censored:ed down the wing and even nutmegged Tommy Smith. At a Sportsmans Dinner I attended about 15 years ago Tommy Smith recalled this and said if he did that again he'd know about it - or words to that effect :D

Great memories of better times :) sigh

This is what we used to sing to the tune of "Puff the magic dragon". So when he went to Man City we were not too pleased.
Most memorable game for me was when he we beat Liverpool 1-0 in a Tuesday night game in front of 29,000 with Hutch scoring the only goal.

Hutch the magic winger,
Plays for the Sky Blues,
You read about his magic tricks in the football news,
His boots are made from stardust, his studs are made from gold,
and if you try to buy him he wont be f**king sold.

ollyservetta

This is what we used to sing to the tune of "Puff the magic dragon". So when he went to Man City we were not too pleased.
Most memorable game for me was when he we beat Liverpool 1-0 in a Tuesday night game in front of 29,000 with Hutch scoring the only goal.
Along with bobby mac ,anouther underated player, great players for the club

Hutch the magic winger,
Plays for the Sky Blues,
You read about his magic tricks in the football news,
His boots are made from stardust, his studs are made from gold,
and if you try to buy him he wont be f**king sold.

Last edited:

tisza

Funny you should mention the element of 'anticipation'. My first game was the very last of 1974/75 season. I'd been badgering dad for quite a while to be taken to the game and I vaguely remember the feeling of excitement reaching a peak of almost hyperventilation (This was just on the walk up to the ground) and after a few minutes of standing on the kop simmering down to something like indifference. (Kids, eh?)
This mood wasn't helped much when TH received his first pass (Dad: "Here we go, watch this fella, watch this fella".) Inexplicably, TH miss controlled what was I would imagine a simple ball and it went out for a throwing to M'boro. It left me wondering quite what was it all about with this bloke? Glad to say, watching him over the next five years more than adequately answered that question.
that boro at home was my first game too!! loved Hutch he was probably my only City hero. was gutted when he left.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
along with the great bobby mac , sad days work for us

I'm glad Bobby McD got a mention! Best defender City ever had! What great players we had in that era! Hutch, McDonald, Wallace, Ferguson, Stein, Hunt, Machin, Carr............. the list is endless! It's such a shame that our younger fans never got the chance to see them play. Thank gawd for Youtube!

Ranjit Bhurpa

I'm glad Bobby McD got a mention! Best defender City ever had! What great players we had in that era! Hutch, McDonald, Wallace, Ferguson, Stein, Hunt, Machin, Carr............. the list is endless! It's such a shame that our younger fans never got the chance to see them play. Thank gawd for Youtube!

And from the same era, a player (and captain) who doesn't get many mentions but who, undoubtedly, was the driving force behind that great season in 1977-78 - Terry Yorath. Very often only paired with Barry Powell in midfield, with Hutch on the wing and Milne very often going with a 424 line up. Great times to have watched the City.

"Those born less than 50 years ago won't understand my posts."

Just as an aside, your signature triggered some memories past cos I remember Football rattles, Bobble Hats, Woolen Scarves that Grandma knitted, City going up the leagues to Division 1, Spangles, Marathons, Bounty's, Dainty's, Opal Fruits and Wagon Wheels when they were about 6" across - sorry, back to the present. :wave:

torchomatic

I was lucky as that was my time. 77/78 were the seasons I started going to all home and most away games. Still my favourite time. It even trumps 87 for me for the sheer enjoyment of it all.

Grendel

And from the same era, a player (and captain) who doesn't get many mentions but who, undoubtedly, was the driving force behind that great season in 1977-78 - Terry Yorath. Very often only paired with Barry Powell in midfield, with Hutch on the wing and Milne very often going with a 424 line up. Great times to have watched the City.

The signing of Graydon was critical as he provided numerous assists from the right.

Ranjit Bhurpa

The signing of Graydon was critical as he provided numerous assists from the right.

Yes totally agree, another wise old head who also chipped in with a few goals too. I would also agree with Torch that the excitement and attacking football was spread throughout the season and some large crowds watching as well.

Most will remember the 5-4 against Norwich, a 5-1 against Chelsea and the 0-0 against Champions Notts Forest, but one game that sticks in the memory was a night game against Wolves and the sight of many Wolves fans setting fire to their scarves in the Kop end, having seen their team lose 4-0.

Early days yet, but if TM and the lads can harness that attacking flair from all those years ago, then we're in for a good season. Yes, we leaked goals too but by and large our overall play put bums on seats.

Speedies_Chips

Yes totally agree, another wise old head who also chipped in with a few goals too. I would also agree with Torch that the excitement and attacking football was spread throughout the season and some large crowds watching as well.

Most will remember the 5-4 against Norwich, a 5-1 against Chelsea and the 0-0 against Champions Notts Forest, but one game that sticks in the memory was a night game against Wolves and the sight of many Wolves fans setting fire to their scarves in the Kop end, having seen their team lose 4-0.

Early days yet, but if TM and the lads can harness that attacking flair from all those years ago, then we're in for a good season. Yes, we leaked goals too but by and large our overall play put bums on seats.

..or feet on terraces! :)

skybluesam66

the only thing wrong that season was that
a) We bottled the finish - a half decent finish and we;d have been 4th
b) Ipswich beat Arsenal in the cup - If they hadnt we would have still been in europe

Speedies_Chips

the only thing wrong that season was that
a) We bottled the finish - a half decent finish and we;d have been 4th
b) Ipswich beat Arsenal in the cup - If they hadnt we would have still been in europe

Yes , I remember watching that Cup final and wanting Ipswich to win. I was young then and didn't read papers etc, so it wasn't until later that I realised that victory stopped us getting into Europe!

Users who are viewing this thread