Sterling negativity (1 Viewer)

Grendel

He is probably getting more negative press than anyone at the moment.

It’s all pretty unfair. Defensively he’s certainly no worse than Grimmer. I like Grimmer but often last season he was found wanting when under pressure. He was good at going forward and whole hearted but some of the comments here and at the game were pretty brutal.

He’s young and he’s going to make some errors but yesterday was pretty solid and composed.

All a bit strange really.

Otis

Yeah.

My main concern with him has been him ball watching, drifting inside and losing his marker, but I don't think he has been that bad.

I think many maybe judging him on the expectation that he was going to be brilliant and he hasn't been.

Came with glowing praise, so maybe the expectation has been a bit too high.

ladywoodskyblue

Was in the League 1 team of week too. I don't listen to half the opinions of our fans, unless it's someone running around like a headless chicken there will be some of our fans who will criticise.

clint van damme

It’s all pretty unfair. Defensively he’s certainly no worse than Grimmer. I like Grimmer but often last season he was found wanting when under pressure. He was good at going forward and whole hearted but some of the comments here and at the game were pretty brutal.

He’s young and he’s going to make some errors but yesterday was pretty solid and composed.

fair assessment.
He looks shaky at times but he's got better each game. He just needs to concentrate a bit more and make sure he's switched on defensively.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Completely agree, was gonna post a similar thread. Don’t understand it at all, not sure if people were expecting Dani Alves and are disappointed. He’s not been particularly great but he’s not done much wrong. Can’t understand the moaning about him, it’s like people wanted to hate him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magwitch

You’re 100% correct. People seem to forget he’s a rookie don’t know how many if any starts he had at Chelski but this is his debut season as a regular. Think he was probably over blown when he joined and fans were expecting too much too soon.

Otis

Completely agree, was gonna post a similar thread. Don’t understand it at all, not sure if people were expecting Dani Alves and are disappointed. He’s not been particularly great but he’s not done much wrong. Can’t understand the moaning about him, it’s like people wanted to hate him

Don't think people want to hate him. Think they just want him to be Kieran Trippier.

better days

Well said
People within the game think this lad is going to play at the top level
Of course he's going to make mistakes, that's how anyone gets better

Winny the Bish

Everyone assumed he was going to set the league on fire and be the new Cyrus Christie bombing down the right side. We forgot he's an 18-year-old playing his very first professional games.

I honestly think that Grimmer wouldn't have done much better.

better days

Probably some of it's because Grimmer is a fan's favourite
They'll both get plenty of game time over the more than 50 games we'll play this year

lifeskyblue

Yes sterling had a decent game yesterday. He is guilty at times of ball watching and switching off but he is a young lad and he will improve quickly.
I have been disappointed that he seems to be told not to attack too much...I want to see him going forward more. Once in second half yesterday he got beyond the last man with a burst of speed. Unfortunately not the best of crosses. I think he will be a real asset the more he is used going forward.
We have the raw young player and within a few months of playing ‘men’s’ football he will develop further and I’m sure will be one of our players of the season.

torchomatic

The issue really is the hype. When he signed we had all the comments from Chelsea fans saying they didn't want him to go and that he should be in the Chelsea first team. Not sure what they were thinking to be honest. I have to say I feel he has been the weak link so far and seems pretty poor defensively. He watches the game a lot too. Doyle was having a go at him and Brandon Mason yesterday. I'd rather have Grimmer in all honesty.

Sky_Blue_Ste

Don't think people want to hate him. Think they just want him to be Kieran Trippier.

I think half of his issue is he’s not Grimmer - a real fans favourite & whoever came in was not going to be good enough in many’s eyes, simply as he’s not Jack Grimmer.

He’s been okay but has found the physicality a bit of a shock I think. It is his first season & he is only 18.

The Chelsea fans are going to be in for a shock though; he’s not half the player they think he is.

Needs time & I think, unfortunately for Grimmer, he’s going to get it too.

BackRoomRummermill

Good post , he will develop for sure , there seems too much negativity around some players , yet we there is utter praise for other players who simply are out of their depth. It will all be found out in the end .

fatso

Early days of course, but no better than Grimmer or DKE so far.
He may improve, in fact he has to improve to be anything like the player that Chelsea fans say he is, but we have to give him a dozen games or so to settle in. It dosnt help that we don’t have the strikers able to hold the ball up upfield and take the pressure off the defence.

skyblueelephant76

For Chelsea and England he's played a lot as a wingback, I think positionally he's still getting used to being in a back four.

Some of the abuse he's been getting is ridiculous. He defended well at Wimbledon and was fairly solid again yesterday. He hasnt been pulled apart by any of the wingers he's faced yet, something which happened to Grimmer a few times last season.

Garryb80

He may improve, in fact he has to improve to be anything like the player that Chelsea fans say he is, but we have to give him a dozen games or so to settle in. It dosnt help that we don’t have the strikers able to hold the ball up upfield and take the pressure off the defence.
No better than DKE?? When is your first stand up gig?

SkyBlueCRJ

The negativity towards Sterling is a bit embarrassing to be honest. We're 4 games into the season and our 'fans' are slating an 18-year old who has just started playing first team football. Yes, there was massive expectation upon his arrival with us but maybe we should've taken that with a pinch of salt rather than blame Sterling for failing to set the world alight in the first handful of games of his career. He's been involved in 2/3 league clean sheets, I'd call that a solid first innings for a young prodigy. I can understand the posts about his tendency to ball watch and his lack of confidence going forward but to say he's poor defensively is a bit far as I thought he held his own yesterday against a physical and athletic side.

However, MR should start Grimmer on Tuesday against Blackpool. That's by no means saying Sterling should be dropped but I think Grimmer deserves a chance to show how he can perform.

fatso

Made team of the week. Yet some of our fans who know better have written him off

Jesus Christ, who’s written him off. Ffs some people!
He was poor in the first game, not brilliant in the second, aweful in the third and much improved in the fourth. As has been said he needs a dozen or so games to find his feet.
So many knee jerk reactions from all quarters!

skyblueelephant76

The negativity towards Sterling is a bit embarrassing to be honest. We're 4 games into the season and our 'fans' are slating an 18-year old who has just started playing first team football. Yes, there was massive expectation upon his arrival with us but maybe we should've taken that with a pinch of salt rather than blame Sterling for failing to set the world alight in the first handful of games of his career. He's been involved in 2/3 league clean sheets, I'd call that a solid first innings for a young prodigy. I can understand the posts about his tendency to ball watch and his lack of confidence going forward but to say he's poor defensively is a bit far as I thought he held his own yesterday against a physical and athletic side.

However, MR should start Grimmer on Tuesday against Blackpool. That's by no means saying Sterling should be dropped but I think Grimmer deserves a chance to show how he can perform.
:banghead:

CovInEssex

I don't think the negativity is towards Sterling per se, it's more towards the thinking that Grimmer is a better option. "The grass is always greener" etc.

fernandopartridge

Oh for fucks sake.

CCFCSteve

Typical city fans unfortunately. I’m guessing it’s because fans read the hype and watched the vids and then forgot he’d played little/no senior football ! Not sure if he’s a touch nervous pushing forward or it’s instructions from Robins but would like to see him get further up the pitch when we’re attacking (if possible) as I think he could be a real asset. He’s definitely got some ability

Hobo

Early days for the whole team. I don't think he has been worse than anybody else. Every team takes six games to bed their season in, I don't even bother looking at the table until 4 or 5 games in.

Users who are viewing this thread