Stop this state aid.. (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Wasn't the football pitch one of the conditions of planning for the swimming pool but the headline makes it look like it is being done specifically for CCFC?

oucho

In fairness, CCFC would the main beneficiary. Good news if true.

Captain Dart

Wasn't the football pitch one of the conditions of planning for the swimming pool but the headline makes it look like it is being done specifically for CCFC?
The headline says 'could' not 'will' or 'shall'. So no it does not imply that at all.

Nick

Administrator
The headline says 'could' not 'will' or 'shall'. So no it does not imply that at all.

It quite clearly does though doesn't it? Else it would be "Council meet planning application conditions for pool by loaning 1.5m".

Does that not suit your agenda for posting on here?

If there was no pitch, wouldn't that then stop the application for the pool?

It brings CCFC into it to then generate comments like:

If this indoor football pitch benefited the whole community, which it could do. But sadly no it’s to help make the company that is doing it’s leval best to take every penny of the taxpayer, put money into the greedy pockets of Joyous Joy and her cronies with the sale of young talent.

What happens when Mr Fisher builds the new training complex for the academy

They could maybe report about the current indoor pitch, how often does it get community use and private rentals for 5 aside leagues, what sort of money does the indoor pitch generate at the Higgs in total etc to justify the loan?

Captain Dart

It quite clearly does though doesn't it? Else it would be "Council meet planning application conditions for pool by loaning 1.5m".

Does that not suit your agenda for posting on here though?

The headline doesn't suit your agenda. Surely you should challenge this loan as State Aid.

Nick

Administrator
The headline doesn't suit your agenda. Surely you should challenge this loan as State Aid.

The headline / article doesn't really explain that having an indoor pitch was a condition of the swimming pool which previously was going to be built by Wasps but it fell through. Instead it is spun as being done just for CCFC.

It doesn't explain that Sport England expected to see a replacement indoor pitch for the pool plans to go further, it is just made to look as if it is being done for CCFC.

Pretty obvious really.

covcity4life

is it state aid if they tried to kill the club first? they need to do alot more before ccfc have benefited from the council

Colin Steins Smile

The headline / article doesn't really explain that having an indoor pitch was a condition of the swimming pool which previously was going to be built by Wasps but it fell through. Instead it is spun as being done just for CCFC.

It doesn't explain that Sport England expected to see a replacement indoor pitch for the pool plans to go further, it is just made to look as if it is being done for CCFC.

Pretty obvious really.
The potential building of a new indoor 3g pitch is a welcome development, which could help secure the current academy status and at the same time benefit the community.....so it's a win, win! It does ease the pressure on the club, so that even if they decide to create their own new training ground, etc, then there is time to plan properly.
One correction thought is that Wasps were never going to fund the building of the swimming pool, this was always going to be funded from the council.

Nick

Administrator
The potential building of a new indoor 3g pitch is a welcome development, which could help secure the current academy status and at the same time benefit the community.....so it's a win, win! It does ease the pressure on the club, so that even if they decide to create their own new training ground, etc, then there is time to plan properly.
One correction thought is that Wasps were never going to fund the building of the swimming pool, this was always going to be funded from the council.

No I meant Wasps were going to do the indoor pitch for their "kicking barn" which fell through, which is why the council now need to fund it to meet the Sport England requirement for the pool.

I agree that it is better for CCFC for that option to be there, just that it is being spun as being done for CCFC rather than because they have to because of Sport England.

As usual, it's being spun as about CCFC and people will get all worked up about SISU etc. It's why Captain Dart tries to post it and spin it (as he does, then vanishes for discussions about CCFC).

Surely it could be spun as "Council forced to grant loan to save 50m pool in Coventry due to Wasps being unable to continue with project"?

fernandopartridge

It's £1.5m to develop an asset that the council holds the freehold for, some similarities with the loan to ACL which was judged lawful, but at least this one gets something tangible (and will no doubt be used by the general public).
It's also good to see it being done in a transparent manner, perhaps the council has learned from what's gone before.

oucho

If it does happen then it's good news all round. The academy is the one thing you can point to and say that CCFC has done really well over recent years (unlike literally everything else). Well done to all concerned, even SISU who have continued to allow funding and kept good people in place to run it. I know via friends who have met Joy that she does see the academy as central to the club's ongoing prospects.

Without the money from selling on the likes of Wilson & Maddison, plus the revenue from cup games at Arsenal (x 2), Spurs and of course Wembley, I dread to think what state we'd be in. Certainly it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to see a scenario where Coventry would have ceased to have a professional Football League team.

stupot07

Isn't the Higgs the only indoor 3G pitch within the city. I'm pretty sure the pool planning was on the proviser that wasps were replacing the indoor pitch with their kicking barn and that satisfied Sport England as its reducing playing fields.

Funny how this is being spun as saving the academy, yet the the community also use it. In fact there was a football tournament for kids from across the Midlands there on Sunday which was run by Soccerarockz and nothing to do with the football club or the academy.

Its good news if it also safeguards the academy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Isn't the Higgs the only indoor 3G pitch within the city. I'm pretty sure the pool planning was on the proviser that wasps were replacing the indoor pitch with their kicking barn and that satisfied Sport England as its reducing playing fields.

Funny how this is being spun as saving the academy, yet the the community also use it. In fact there was a football tournament for kids from across the Midlands there on Sunday which was run by Soccerarockz and nothing to do with the football club or the academy.

Its good news if it also safeguards the academy.

Exactly my point, indoor pitch being replaced was something Sport England asked for to give planning when doing the pool.

How many people realise that though, rather than they are doing it just for CCFC to save the academy?

stupot07

And that's ignores the fact the club pay the Highs Centre rent to use it.

Warwickhunt

I thought the poisonous dwarf had a codicile put into the higgs trust that their shall be fuck all to do with CCFC whilst SISU are involved

thekidfromstrettoncamp

While Higgs are being mentioned I noticed at the cup game some of the crowd sat in part of the stand will city be making a donation to the charity is it 50 pence or whatever because when they tried to buy the shares off them they said they would like to form links with them didn't buy so didn't hear any links ..Would be nice if they coughed up a little (good publicity)

Nick

Administrator
While Higgs are being mentioned I noticed at the cup game some of the crowd sat in part of the stand will city be making a donation to the charity is it 50 pence or whatever because when they tried to buy the shares off them they said they would like to form links with them didn't buy so didn't hear any links ..Would be nice if they coughed up a little (good publicity)
Why would they?

Captain Dart

That deal is with Wasps
Wasps confirm 100% shareholding in the Ricoh Arena
Wasps today also announce that the Club will rename the ‘North Stand’ of the Ricoh Arena ‘The Higgs Charity Stand’ and for every Wasps match ticket sold in this newly renamed stand, Wasps will donate 50p to the Alan Edward Higgs Charity, the grant making charity which benefits the inhabitants of a 25 mile radius from the centre of Coventry.

Users who are viewing this thread