Streaming from pc to xbox (1 Viewer)

redsox

Facebook User
I have recently bought an (old) xbox 360 for my 7 year old son .I am given to understand that you can stream movies, tv , music etc from a connected pc to the x box. I kind of understand the process but was wondering if there is anyone who does or has done this, what pitfalls do I need to look out for? Any programs I need to use/avoid ? Does windows media centre cope with all movie formats or are there any others I can use? Any pearls of wisdom will be gratefully received , thank you.

Bopquar

I have recently bought an (old) xbox 360 for my 7 year old son .I am given to understand that you can stream movies, tv , music etc from a connected pc to the x box. I kind of understand the process but was wondering if there is anyone who does or has done this, what pitfalls do I need to look out for? Any programs I need to use/avoid ? Does windows media centre cope with all movie formats or are there any others I can use? Any pearls of wisdom will be gratefully received , thank you.

I use a program called Vuze. Its actually a downloading tool to download torrents but you can also stream to your 360. It helps if you have wifi. It's basically a drag and drop program, very easy to use. It converts to either SD or HD in seconds and is very reliable.

Hope this helps :)

redsox

Facebook User
I use a program called Vuze. Its actually a downloading tool to download torrents but you can also stream to your 360. It helps if you have wifi. It's basically a drag and drop program, very easy to use. It converts to either SD or HD in seconds and is very reliable.

Hope this helps :)

I used vuze for a while to.....ahem....download torrents & got extremely annoyed at it constantly freezing. I take it it's no longer doing that from your comments? Cheers, I may well give it a go!

redsox

Facebook User
Good choice.

I have a ps3 :facepalm:

Ha ha, not a fan then La La, thought it was the dog's ? The x box is currently hidden in my wardrobe until my boy's birthday on 9th July........but when everyone is out, boy at school, wifey at work , it comes out of the box .....just to make sure everything works you understand :thinking about:

Bopquar

I used vuze for a while to.....ahem....download torrents & got extremely annoyed at it constantly freezing. I take it it's no longer doing that from your comments? Cheers, I may well give it a go!

It occasionally freezes when I'm downloading and streaming at the same time, i suppose it depends on your connection.

Coventry La La La

Ha ha, not a fan then La La, thought it was the dog's ? The x box is currently hidden in my wardrobe until my boy's birthday on 9th July........but when everyone is out, boy at school, wifey at work , it comes out of the box .....just to make sure everything works you understand :thinking about:

I have both.... Xbox in terms of online gaming is allot better then the PS3.

Danceswithhorses

I use ps3mediaserver for my ps3...excellent for streaming...the best ive tried...found out about it on avforums...lots of knowledgable guys on there.
Also used it to set up my mate's xbox 360 for streaming.
Just remember, streaming is best with a wired connection, next best is homeplugs, and lastly wireless.

Nick

Administrator
I use some software called TVersity which is a bit like PS3 media server.

You can tweak it to have the best settings for the Xbox 360 but make sure you do it over a wired connection as it is dire over Wireless :(

BenInTurin

Facebook User
I just transfer files to the harddrive, saves me having to boot up the computer! (On playstation)

redsox

Facebook User
I use some software called TVersity which is a bit like PS3 media server.

You can tweak it to have the best settings for the Xbox 360 but make sure you do it over a wired connection as it is dire over Wireless :(

Thanks Nick, I have downloaded TVersity but I haven't really had a chance to play with it yet as we're keeping the xbox 360 for my son (honest!!) , so I have to wait till he's not around.

Danceswithhorses

I've also tried TVersity, but preferred ps3ms because it gives thumbnail images of the films on my ps3, and if the video uses a strange, incompatible codec, it can transcode it on the fly.
Both are good programs though...down to personal preference...try both ;)

Nick

Administrator
I might try PS3MS though, my brother has said it is better but I have been too lazy to check :)

redsox

Facebook User
I've sort of solved things, I've managed to get a link with windows media centre . Whilst that doen't work too well, it does make the files available on the x box, under video files. If I click on those I can get those files to play and the resolution is better than my dvd player. So happy days. Can't get BBC I player etc to work though!!:p

Users who are viewing this thread