Supporters' group tells Coventry City FC owners to clarify stadium plans (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Coventry City FC’s largest supporters’ group has called on the club’s owners to clarify plans for a new stadium and training facilities or work to ensure the future of its Academy at its current home.

The Sky Blue Trust has expressed concerns over the future of CCFC’s Academy, which it has described as “vital” to the success of the club.
It comes after the Telegraph revealed that bosses at Premiership rugby side Wasps are in talks about developing a state-of-the-art training centre on land near the current home of Coventry City FC’s Academy - the Alan Higgs Centre.
The Telegraph understands that plans being discussed include the creation of an Olympic-sized public swimming pool on the site of the venue’s indoor pitch, which the Academy is currently able to use to train when outdoor pitches are frozen.
That is a factor in the Academy getting prized category two status – and almost £500,000 in grant funding from the Premier League.
The Sky Blues have long maintained they want to move their Academy from the Alan Higgs Centre to a purpose-built facility planned to sit alongside a new stadium and also housing first-team training and acting as a ‘community hub’.
Sources suggest this has forced the Alan Higgs Centre Trust charity, which owns the site, to explore options which would offer it more long-term security.
A statement from the Sky Blue Trust, said: “A successful category two Academy is vital to the success of our club, so we are naturally concerned about any development which might hamper or damage the Academy.
“However, we understand that the charity have to manage their property properly, and continued (and, as yet, unsubstantiated) claims by CCFC that they are seeking to develop a new stadium with associated training and academy facilities will naturally cause them concern about CCFC’s future intentions at the current base.
“Unless there is a clear, rapid and deliverable plan to move to such new facilities, CCFC need to enter into urgent discussions with all the relevant parties to secure the long-term future of the Academy in its present location.”
It is understood the Higgs Centre is just one of several sites being explored by Wasps as a potential base for a £7million training centre which it is currently seeking sponsorship support to create.
The Higgs Centre was built for the purpose of housing Coventry City FC’s Academy and was opened in 2004. But Coventry City’s owners have fallen out with the owners of the venue on several occasions in the past.
In July 2013 the club pulled the Academy out of the centre after a row over £12,000 for the maintenance of equipment over a two-year period.
But in December 2013 the youth set-up returned to the £11m facility after the two parties agreed a 12-month rolling rent deal.
In October 2014 the club and the owners disagreed over who should fork out £80,000 needed to replace the indoor playing surface.
Coventry City FC declined to comment on the statement from the supporters’ trust.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/supporters-group-tells-coventry-city-10529972

Nick

Administrator
Still no mention / confirmation of the Wasps land purchase though?

wow, some of those comments.

One guy says:

Don't panic. Stay calm. We're a big club on the up and there is no reason to doubt that we will always have a decent stadium to play in, plus all the necessary training, academy, community and merchandise facilities.
Coysb

To me that is quite a sensible comment, it isn't pro or anti anybody. Somehow it is getting voted down though.

fernandopartridge

I can't disagree with what the SBT are saying, it is time for the club to nail down their future plans. Something tangible alongside the current upturn in form would really get the fans onside imo.

I reckon Simon was desperately ringing round for a quote to try and redress the balance last night. He got one.

Nick

Administrator
I reckon Simon was desperately ringing round for a quote to try and redress the balance last night. He got one.

Got to keep the readers happy ;)

I don't disagree either, but if the trust are now focused on the Academy (which is great, we all should be). I assume the next time Elliott or Hoffman try and use them, they get told to do one :)

will am i

Still no mention / confirmation of the Wasps land purchase though?

wow, some of those comments.

One guy says:As you already know Wasps have bought land off Severn Trent - the old Whitley Pumping Station. And it is about time we had some clarity from our owners about their future plans for the club.

To me that is quite a sensible comment, it isn't pro or anti anybody. Somehow it is getting voted down though.

Nick

Administrator
Yep, you would think the press would have got onto it by now. If they have, how come they haven't mentioned it?

Terry Gibson's perm

It says it's an £11 million complex but they are looking to raise/beg £7million does that mean that they are going to finally invest some of their own money or are they once again looking to hit the charity? Where's Italia when you need him;)

Nick

Administrator
I think it does need clearing up sooner rather than later, although I think the pressure from Higgs and this is part of something bigger. Wasps won't have bought land right next to it for no reason, the same as they wouldn't have only bought 50% of the Ricoh.

This is PR to apply pressure.

You forgot to mention though Simon about the Higgs taking the club to court but their claim being turned down in the history between the two.

italiahorse

It says it's an £11 million complex but they are looking to raise/beg £7million does that mean that they are going to finally invest some of their own money or are they once again looking to hit the charity? Where's Italia when you need him;)

It would be more practical to leave the centre as it is and build the new Wasps complex at the far end of the outdoor pitches.
Anybody investing £7M would like to see something for their money rather than be told it's in that old building over their.
Access that side would not be a problem and CCFC keep the Academy.
However if CCFC are not committing long term things may change.

italiahorse

I think it does need clearing up sooner rather than later, although I think the pressure from Higgs and this is part of something bigger. Wasps won't have bought land right next to it for no reason, the same as they wouldn't have only bought 50% of the Ricoh.

You forgot to mention though Simon about the Higgs taking the club to court but their claim being turned down in the history between the two.

That was ACL Higgs not Higgs centre. The Higgs centre argued they were not replacing equipment they were using.
More recently the internal astro turf needed replacing but that has now been replaced, evidently cheaply due to an order cancellation elsewhere.

Nick

Administrator
Is the statement on the trust website or has it been given direct?

Does look like a pressure tactic, maybe wasps want a higher rent?

italiahorse

Have they bought land then ?

chiefdave

Did I miss the SBT elections? I remember Steve coming on here saying he wasn't doing it anymore but it all seemed to go quiet after that. Not had any emails or seen anything about meetings.

Grendel

It says it's an £11 million facility. Which is interesting. Wasps want another £7 million to develop it which puts the value to £18 million (probably £70 million to wasps independent values)

So you can purchase 3 Ricoh arenas for the price if the newly developed training ground.

Amazing.

Paxman II

I think it's all talk quite frankly without substance.
IF CCFC get promoted and then again to the top flight in the next say 3 years we will all be singing a very different tune.
WASP are more likely to end up our tenants...

Ian1779

A statement from the Sky Blue Trust, said: “A successful category two Academy is vital to the success of our club, so we are naturally concerned about any development which might hamper or damage the Academy.

Absolutely agree... but where is threat from you may ask...

“However, we understand that the charity have to manage their property properly, and continued (and, as yet, unsubstantiated) claims by CCFC that they are seeking to develop a new stadium with associated training and academy facilities will naturally cause them concern about CCFC’s future intentions at the current base.
“Unless there is a clear, rapid and deliverable plan to move to such new facilities, CCFC need to enter into urgent discussions with all the relevant parties to secure the long-term future of the Academy in its present location.”

Exactly how many times have CCFC come out in the press to suggest they are moving out of the Higgs facility? How many times becomes 'continued'?

To me it seems the only people that keep bringing that statement up are the CET.

Nick

Administrator

Absolutely agree... but where is threat from you may ask...

Exactly how many times have CCFC come out in the press to suggest they are moving out of the Higgs facility? How many times becomes 'continued'?

To me it seems the only people that keep bringing that statement up are the CET.
Exactly, and the trust even haven't posted the statement on their website either.

Seems like the pr battle didn't actually stop did it?

I'd put money on this being a way to put pressure onto something going on behind the scenes.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

It says it's an £11 million facility. Which is interesting. Wasps want another £7 million to develop it which puts the value to £18 million (probably £70 million to wasps independent values)

So you can purchase 3 Ricoh arenas for the price if the newly developed training ground.

Amazing.
Correct for a change the Ricoh was worthless

Grendel

chiefdave

Have the trust made these statements today or is it old rehashed nonsense that serves a purpose for the CET?

There's nothing on their website, Facebook or twitter. All a bit odd. Last thing we heard was elections were due and a lot of people weren't standing again. Haven't heard of any meetings since then and now we've got a random statement attributed to them.

Nick

Administrator
There's nothing on their website, Facebook or twitter. All a bit odd. Last thing we heard was elections were due and a lot of people weren't standing again. Haven't heard of any meetings since then and now we've got a random statement attributed to them.
Maybe a pr company has been emailing supporters direct?

Grendel

Maybe a pr company has been emailing supporters direct?

Surely not! Have they contacted Richard Keys as well?

Grendel

I wouldn't know why should I?

Well I am sure you have a view. Is Steve still running the show? Perhaps he can tell us if he gave an interview with CET and that this was the big issue if the day.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Well I am sure you have a view. Is Steve still running the show? Perhaps he can tell us if he gave an interview with CET and that this was the big issue if the day.

I have views on most things as you know some I share some I don't. As for Steve you're a big boy you could ask him yourself surely you're not shy?

Nick

Administrator
interesting that people have only commented on that article, none of the others like James Maddison being stronger than ever.

Also "city fans" vote this comment down?

st Coventry City +17gd 39pts Happy Days[/COLOR]======================================
WWDDDWWWWDD - unbeaten in the league throughout October and November, top of the table, well done to everyone at Coventry City FC, plus the loyal paying customers aka The Sky Blue Army. Long may it continue.

We're a big club on the up. Present and future owners will always ensure that we have a decent stadium to play in, together with all the necessary training, academy, community and merchandise facilities.

Don't panic, stay calm and Let's All Sing Together

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

interesting that people have only commented on that article, none of the others like James Maddison being stronger than ever.

Also "city fans" vote this comment down?

You're right very rarely comment now regarding the team etc. I go to the games home and away but feel differently now. Used to have a buzz before a game not anymore still get into the game and go mental when we score but now at the final whistle game over. The love for the club is still there but not like it was,if I could I would stop going but I can't.

italiahorse

Amazing.

No, boring !!

Terry Gibson's perm

Amazing.

it is never worth £11 million, but does this mean then they are going to be spending some of their bulging cash reserves as the richest club in Europe to buy it? I personally hope they spend millions on it as they are never going to get it back

Users who are viewing this thread