Taxi for Fisher (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Very frustratingly for all of us it increasingly looks as if SISU are going nowhere. In fact the more unpopular they become, the more it appears they are determined to remain in charge. Sadly, I think they could be here for another 5-10 years potentially. Make no mistake, I want SISU out as much as the next man and they are destroying our club, but if there really is no alternative to them at this point I think we should focus on trying to remove Fisher and replace him with someone who is reasonable and appears to care about the club and its fans.

There have been two major problems with SISU's reign - the financials and the public relations. The former has to some extent been difficult to avoid - the club was in a parlous financial situation when they took the club over and it was not they who arranged the ridiculous structure of the ownership of the Ricoh which was always doomed to bankrupt the club. However, what is less forgiveable (and I speak as someone who works in the PR industry) is the dreadful public relations operation. It really could not have been worse if they had been deliberately trying to annoy the hell out of our fans from Orange Ken sitting on the bench, to Brody's text for a sub and Joy's refusal to reveal herself.

But the real nadir has been Tim Fisher. The man has alienated the entire fan base and actually appears to get a perverse kick out of goading the fans e.g. practically stating SISU don't care what the fans think, suggesting a statue to Sepalla and his crass insensitivity over the memorial garden and statue, I could go on. In short, while this bloated, lying, insensitive, Sheffield Wednesday fan continues to be the public face of SISU, neither fans, the council nor ACL will be prepared to even tolerate SISU. It is time for SISU to demonstrate that they are trying to win back the trust of the fans and the first thing they must do is get rid of Fisher and replace him with someone who is prepared to be honest with fans and treat us with a modicum of respect. A while ago SISU spoke about trying to find a local chairman and initially Fisher was referred to as merely an interim chief executive. If SISU must persist in owning our club at least they must be shown that Fisher is not the man to take this forward.

RogerH

Totally agree. After Friday, SISU's comment was about "getting on and running the football club". If they are serious about this, they have to urgently address the mountainous task of trying to get the fans onside. They are poor at PR, it's not what they do. Therefore they need to bring someone in as the public face of the club who can engage with the fans and give us something to believe in. That someone also has to get round the table with ACL and discuss the way forward in good faith, with no hidden agendas, to get back to the Ricoh on a long term deal beneficial to both sides.
They have to understand that alienating the fans, treating them as if they don't matter will mean that the next few years will be a rocky road, irrespective of how secure a hold they have on the club.
However good SISU are at the off the field stuff, the one thing they have spectacularly failed at is producing a winning football team. If they genuinely want success for the team, they have to understand that significant investment is required to acquire a squad capable of gaining promotion and establishing back in the Championship. Many fans believe SISU do not care about the team, they have much trust to rebuild to get the fans with them.

RFC

I think you should address the above comments the CE of Coventry City Council & ACL instead of focusing on one single aspect!!!!!!!!!!

Covstu

Personally if we stay in Coventry and put some money into buying players, I can deal with SISU. Don't like it but can live with it.

Jarvo

Interesting.

Despite the large sums of money coming into sport, many professional clubs seem reluctant or unable to make a profit. This represents a culture problem that those running clubs are finding hard to tackle
Attempts to run sports clubs along the lines of traditional businesses have traditionally failed because of a complex set of issues. Despite the huge flow of revenue into popular sports, the demands on even the most successful clubs limit their ability to deliver regular profits.
Take football, England’s national sport: despite the unprecedented commercial success of the Barclays Premier League, with the exception of Manchester United and Arsenal there are few clubs in English football that can boast regular operating profits.
Man Utd reported a profit of £23m from revenues of £320m in 2012, while Arsenal’s operating profit came in at £32m in the year to May 2012 from a turnover of £243m.
Other top-flight clubs have been bankrolled by owners who have little expectation of seeing a profit.
Fulham, Aston Villa and Wigan are the ongoing beneficiaries of loans directly from their owners – or the companies they own.
This type of financing looks safe and cheap, as it generally comes with very low interest rates (often zero) and no urgency on repayment.
The owners of Chelsea and Manchester City have even written off their soft loans of £701m and £305m respectively recently, in effect making these two big-spending clubs free from debt.
The resultant challenge for those running football clubs’ finances is to work in an environment where balancing the books is often an alien concept.
While certain levels of debt are acceptable, clubs such as Leeds United, Rangers and Portsmouth are notable examples of what can happen when expenditure gets out of hand.
Between 2000 and 2010, 53 clubs in England entered administration, many owing substantial amounts to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
Mike Cheston, former FD at Everton, explains: “The overriding key performance indicators of a football club are its performances on the pitch, its status in the league and its achievement of expectations. These factors far exceed the financial situation. No football club FD can attend a board meeting and boast about the profitability or financial performance of their club, especially if the team is relegated or has underperformed. The FD is not going to get a lot of thanks for that.”
He adds: “You do have FDs with the right intentions, but fans and the media complain when clubs don’t spend. Leeds and Portsmouth threw money at their teams and both ended up in administration. While fans complained when the overspend backfired, they didn’t when big money was being spent on transfer fees and players’ wages. The fact they were breaching every financial safeguard rule simply didn’t matter at the time.”
Many football clubs rely on TV revenues as their main source of income: six Premier League clubs derived more than 70 per cent of their turnover from TV rights in 2011-12 – and, for now at least, there is no sign that the bubble is going to burst.
The latest round of Premier League TV rights amounts to £3.02bn for the period 2013-16, thanks to Sky and BT – an increase of more than £1.2bn on the amount paid by Sky and ESPN for the previous three years.
When overseas TV rights are included, the latest figure is worth more like £5.5bn.
Up and under
Rugby league is another sport where it’s rare to see teams making a buck.
The 14 clubs in the Anglo-French Super League have combined debts of approximately £69m, although there are huge financial disparities among them.
While several clubs are performing well, others either make losses annually or just about wash their faces financially, while two clubs have significant levels of debt.
This is where sports need governing bodies with strict checks and balances. In a year that sees England host its first Rugby League World Cup since 2000, the Rugby Football League (RFL) is working with Super League clubs to help them improve their finances.
A spokesman for the RFL says: “There are clubs in the league structure that make a profit and it is those business models that others should seek to utilise. A salary cap has been introduced. This has brought stability and allows many clubs to operate profitably. It is also helping to attract new investors into Super League. But the ultimate responsibility for the performance of any club rests with the individual club and its directors.”
The RFL signed a deal with Sky in August 2011 that guarantees the sport an income of more than £90m over five years, but that hasn’t prevented clubs such as the Bradford Bulls and Salford Reds from experiencing financial problems.
Gary Hetherington, chief executive of Leeds Rhinos, says financial management needs to improve at club level.
“The crowds are very strong, the TV audiences are very strong and the game itself is as good as it’s ever been. We don’t want that overshadowed by incompetence at club level – and that’s what we’ve seen in recent years. We need to rid ourselves of poor management practices. All clubs have a real responsibility, a real role to play. The majority of clubs are working hard. It’s some of the others that have let the sport down, quite frankly.”
So, while the money continues to flow into major sports, the problems appear to lie with the willingness of some club owners to spend big on transfer fees and wages, regardless of whether the funds exist to pay them.
“Even previously successful businessmen who come into football rarely achieve sound business structures at clubs,” Cheston says.
“It is difficult to be profitable on a regular basis, as it’s antagonistic to fans. The fans spend money with their clubs and they expect that money to be invested in players.”
English football’s best-run club, Arsenal, boasts a cash reserve of £153m – an amount previously unheard of in football. But because of these savings the club is repeatedly placed under intense scrutiny by fans and the media for not spending more on players and for not having won a major trophy since 2005.
The general culture of the game is to criticise, rather than praise, financial achievement.
Horn of plenty
Leeds Rhinos have made a profit in eight of the past nine years, but Hetherington says that the club’s continued success on the field means that this hasn’t upset the fans.
He adds: “We reinvest any surplus into the business to improve the stadium and so on. The benefits to fans are there for all to see. Our focus is on making a profit and this will fund ambitious plans we have for our people.”
Perhaps, more than in any other industry, the role of the FD in sport is to provide accurate information and identify trends and potential problems before they transpire, and to ensure that the board and chief executive are armed with the information.
This is because there are hundreds of variables in sport that make it a challenging industry from a financial planning point of view – for example, the volatility of external factors such as transfer markets and fan bases.
The value of a player can fluctuate in a second from a market point of view, depending on form and fitness. As a result, the value of a club’s main assets – its players – is completely subjective. They are simply worth what another club is willing to pay for them.
Most clubs don’t know which league they will be playing in from one season to the next or, in the case of top-flight football, whether they will be playing in a European competition or not.
The general economy, the performance of rivals and the banks’ willingness to lend to clubs are all significant unknowns.
“Dealing with these unknowns is difficult,” Cheston says.
“The key is being able to adjust quickly to situations. Ideally, expenses such as staff contracts should have relegation clauses inserted, but that is easier said than done. Players and staff will more likely go to clubs offering straight five-year contracts without these clauses, rather than to a club that is offering a contract with terms that could lead to a reduction in pay. But cash flow is more important than asset volatility. The ability to pay key creditors when their bills fall due is an important indicator of business performance. Paying staff and player wages, ground rent and HMRC on time are indicative of the real health of a club. That’s a tough challenge in this economic climate, as banks are becoming increasingly reluctant to lend to football clubs.”
There is a popular view that agents are draining money out of clubs and sports, but Dave Williams, a rugby union agent and the publisher of www.runningrugby.com, disagrees.
“While it is true that agents are not value creators, they are a reflection of the clubs and players,” he argues.
“They don’t create new markets, but they do understand market values and manage the expectations of clients while trying to get them the best deal. There are similarities between agents and auditors: both do a job that is guided by strict regulation and they are both rewarded for it.”
Williams continues: “You could argue that sports business is not business at all – even HMRC deals with sports clubs differently from ordinary businesses. Nobody, it seems, has yet figured out the magic formula for reducing costs and still winning in sport. In effect, no one has transferred the essence of capitalism into sport.”

Grendel

Fisher is just a puppet. What we need is Seppala gone. She's pure evil.

She is. Remember when you last had your haircut? Well joy purchased a lock of it. Tonight she is going to drop it in a cauldron of boiling lava. If I were you of lock myself in the freezer all night.

Nonleagueherewecome

She is. Remember when you last had your haircut? Well joy purchased a lock of it. Tonight she is going to drop it in a cauldron of boiling lava. If I were you of lock myself in the freezer all night.

I guess you're the only one of us who knows what she looks like, what with your house being full of framed photo's of her?

Grendel

I guess you're the only one of us who knows what she looks like, what with your house being full of framed photo's of her?

Strangely she bears an uncanny resemblance to you. Especially when you out that white mini skirt on. You'd think you were twins.

@richh87

Oh, so you're saying she's alright then! Do you have anything bad to say about SISU? Even with your limited intelligence you must see that they've dragged the club to new lows.

Grendel

Oh, so you're saying she's alright then! Do you have anything bad to say about SISU? Even with your limited intelligence you must see that they've dragged the club to new lows.

My limited intelligence? Fucking hell!

Jarvo

a) unless we get premiership money we are fooked
b) unless you are a top three premiership side we are fooked
c) even our own fans don't want to see us play (let alone BT or sky), so we wont get tv rights, we are fooked.
d) you need good financial management for the long term or you are fooked.
e) we need to be bank rolled by some with little expectation of profit, we are fooked.

It doesn't look good.

I'll just repost the comment you ignored yesterday:

Originally Posted by GinettasStickySofa

At least my 'tactics and arguments' have reasoning.

In 3 years time, if CCFC is a non-league club playing out it's matches in Walsall and heading for liquidation, at least I can say I didn't just sit ON the fence and say "I told you so".

Originally Posted by Grendel

But that is not going to happen you idiot.

Originally Posted by lordsummerisle

You still believe everything that Sisu and their mouthpieces say then?

Not much changed for either of us then, I still don't believe a word they say, you take it as gospel.

Did I not say "If" ??

SISU are one of the 8 bidders. Unless you know something nobody else does (and I wouldn't surprised if you claimed you do) we cannot rule out the idea of them regaining control of the club.

Originally Posted by lordsummerisle

Their position is untenable, you know it, I know it, and they know it.

All just negotiating tactics.

We all hope you're right of course. But we also know that it would be very easy for the administrator to let them write off their own debt and go from there.

Then we'd be hoping that the football league step in, or something similar.

So in the meantime some of us are trying to bring the matter to a head and put any pressure on we can. Why the fuck not?

I'll have that apology whenever you're ready Grendel.

Pie_01.jpg

I don't expect you and lordsummerisle will be pulling your fingers out any time soon of course.

Grendel

Well we won't be playing at Walsall and won't be no league and I said sisu would always be the preferred bidder.

You make no sense. Still why should I be surprised. I thought you must have dug out some quote that said I thought thorn was a genius, Clive platt managed more than 2 assists in his entire Coventry career or debt free ranson really knew what he was doing.

You're pathetic. You and lordsummerisle were mocking fans trying to put pressure on the football league as you both thought SISU's position was untenable.

You can't even admit when you're wrong. That is why you get no respect on here.

Grendel

You're pathetic. You and lordsummerisle were mocking fans trying to put pressure on the football league as you both thought SISU's position was untenable.

You can't even admit when you're wrong. That is why you get no respect on here.

If I drag out my posts saying it was inevitable sisu will buy back the club I assume you'll apologise to me?

Not that I give a stuff either way really. The one post you dug out about me was saying your hypothesis that we would be a waksall and 3 years down the line in non league was indeed ludricous.

@richh87

If I drag out my posts saying it was inevitable sisu will buy back the club I assume you'll apologise to me?

Not that I give a stuff either way really. The one post you dug out about me was saying your hypothesis that we would be a waksall and 3 years down the line in non league was indeed ludricous.

It's not ludicrous under SISU. What they have already done to us is ludicrous, yet you back them.

You didn't even seem to want new owners, and seem to take pleasure in other fans being gutted at the club you claim to support falling apart.

Moff

It's not ludicrous under SISU. What they have already done to us is ludicrous, yet you back them.

I hate having to get involved but jesus Rich Grendel does not support SISU he just doesnt see ACL with the sugar coated eyes that you do.

He has stated in posts he would rather we had better owners but we havent and SISU getting control of the club again was inevitable. Stating that does not mean he loves them.:facepalm:

@richh87

I hate having to get involved but jesus Rich Grendel does not support SISU he just doesnt see ACL with the sugar coated eyes that you do.

He has stated in posts he would rather we had better owners but we havent and SISU getting control of the club again was inevitable. Stating that does not mean he loves them.:facepalm:

There's a lot more to it than that Moff - the guy revels in other City fans tearing their hair out and getting upset over the situation, and does it with this smug know-it-all attitude, when in fact he knows no more than the rest of us. There are many people having a pop at him on here, and for your information, I don't have a sugar-coated view of ACL.

My view is that the rent is far too high and that the only way this club will have the funds to compete under the FFP rules, is to have access to all income streams; ideally through owning our own ground.

This is why I am desperate for a change of ownership; because I believe ACL will sell to more trust worthy owners.

The future is bleak at best under SISU. What we need is for SISU and ACL to be gone with CCFC owning it's own ground. Administration was an ideal chance to say goodbye to the bulk of our debts, and get new owners and buy the Ricoh. This not happening is very upsetting, and some idiot mocking his fellow supporters for being gutted is out of order.

I would love to know why that's ludicrous...

There's a lot more to it than that Moff - the guy revels in other City fans tearing their hair out and getting upset over the situation, and does it with this smug know-it-all attitude, when in fact he knows no more than the rest of us. There are many people having a pop at him on here, and for your information, I don't have a sugar-coated view of ACL.

My view is that the rent is far too high and that the only way this club will have the funds to compete under the FFP rules, is to have access to all income streams; ideally through owning our own ground.

This is why I am desperate for a change of ownership; because I believe ACL will sell to more trust worthy owners.

The future is bleak at best under SISU. What we need is for SISU and ACL to be gone with CCFC owning it's own ground. Administration was an ideal chance to say goodbye to the bulk of our debts, and get new owners and buy the Ricoh. This not happening is very upsetting, and some idiot mocking his fellow supporters for being gutted is out of order.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

letsallsingtogether

Got to admit you got it spot on

Users who are viewing this thread