The all new sparkling positivity thread (1 Viewer)

Otis

Think one is definitely overdue.

Reading the posts on here this past week or so anyone would think we are struggling to avoid relegation.

We are just ONE point outside the playoff positions. We are just FIVE points off an automatic promotion place.

We have let just 8 goals in, in 15 matches. That's just about an average of 1 goal conceded every 2 games.

We have lost 2 matches at home and both have been due to catastrophic goalkeeping mistakes. Had they have not happened we would undoubtedly be actually in the top 7.

Yep, we're not scoring and it's a big problem, but I think most of us believe that just a few tweaks here and there and it is something that IS rectifiable.

We have not been outplayed in any game and are more often than not the dominant team in matches. We have a brilliant defensive unit.

There is no doubt it is frustrating at the moment, the run we're on, but like many others, I don't think the problem is with the strikers, I think it is with the creating of chances and the lack of such.

Simple solutions have been offered. Play just one holding midfielder. Play Haynes wide left so there is balance between the two wings and between Jones and the opposite side.

We are not creating enough clear cut chances for the forwards.

I am not too disheartened at all. If we continue to fail to address it though and this slump continues then of course I will start to get worried.

I didn't think we were awful yesterday, I thought we were just bang average. Defence continued to be very solid though.

Robins is a good manager I feel and I do think he will turn this around. If he IS sacked however, whoever takes over would find himself in a very good position at the right end of the table and just a couple of wins away from being right in the mix for the automatics.

bringbackrattles

Reading the posts on here this past week or so anyone would think we are struggling to avoid relegation.

We are just ONE point outside the playoff positions. We are just FIVE points off an automatic promotion place.

We have let just 8 goals in, in 15 matches. That's just about an average of 1 goal conceded every 2 games.

We have lost 2 matches at home and both have been due to catastrophic goalkeeping mistakes. Had they have not happened we would undoubtedly be actually in the top 7.

Yep, we're not scoring and it's a big problem, but I think most of us believe that just a few tweaks here and there and it is something that IS rectifiable.

We have not been outplayed in any game and are more often than not the dominant team in matches. We have a brilliant defensive unit.

There is no doubt it is frustrating at the moment, the run we're on, but like many others, I don't think the problem is with the strikers, I think it is with the creating of chances and the lack of such.

Simple solutions have been offered. Play just one holding midfielder. Play Haynes wide left so there is balance between the two wings and between Jones and the opposite side.

I am not too disheartened at all. If we continue to fail to address it though and this slump continues then of course I will start to get worried.

I didn't think we were awful yesterday, I thought we were just bang average. Defence continued to be very solid though.

Robins is a good manager I feel and I do think he will turn this around. If he IS sacked however, whoever takes over would find himself in a very good position at the right end of the table and just a couple of wins away from being right in the mix for the automatics.
Now that is positive. Wish I could be like that but watching yesterday it made me feel bloody miserable. Why on earth he doesn't give Ponticelli a chance/whole games, is beyond me. Yes the defence is strong but how strong away at Luton who bang in goals galore at home ? But I like your positivity !

Otis

In matches as they've worn on we HAVE pushed Kelly further forwards. Just giving him that same option from earlier on in games could make all the difference.

I think Stokes at left back and Haynes wide left could also make the difference.

We need to create more chances. Nazon again yesterday was trying to hit shots from just outside the box and he was constantly being blocked and thwarted.

Haynes put some quality balls in. If we can do that with more regularity we will score. We are just not doing it enough, with Nazon and Jones especially hanging on to the ball to long rather than get bleeding thing over.

Otis

Now that is positive. Wish I could be like that but watching yesterday it made me feel bloody miserable. Why on earth he doesn't give Ponticelli a chance/whole games, is beyond me. Yes the defence is strong but how strong away at Luton who bang in goals galore at home ? But I like your positivity !

I wasn't that frustrated yesterday. I thought we were in control and should have won. McNulty should have put that chance away and then it would undoubtedly have been a 1-0 victory.

Last edited:

itsabuzzard

What are these "few tweaks here and there"? Trouble is, it doesn't look as though MR is willing or able to make any significant changes. If we're pinning our hopes on waiting until the January window before getting in a striker who actually knows where the back of the net is, then we'll be well out of any contention by then.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

In matches as they've worn on we HAVE pushed Kelly further forwards. Just giving him that same option from earlier on could make all the difference.

I think Stokes at left back and Haynes wide left could also make the difference.

We need to create more chances. Nazon again yesterday was trying to hit shots from just outside the box and he was constantly being blocked and thwarted.

Haynes out some quality balls in. If we can do that we will score. We are just not doing it enough, with Nazon and Jones especially hanging on to the ball to long rather than get it over.

Nazon does keep the ball to long but who should he pass to McNulty who is hiding or will lose it or the other bloke that was there yesterday who is so poor I can’t even write his name

oucho

Boooo!!

Otis

What are these "few tweaks here and there"? Trouble is, it doesn't look as though MR is willing or able to make any significant changes. If we're pinning our hopes on waiting until the January window before getting in a striker who actually knows where the back of the net is, then we'll be well out of any contention by then.

Just mentioned the 'tweaks.' Let Kelly push forwards earlier instead of waiting until the second half before doing so. Play Haynes in front of Stokes to give balance on both wings. Both Jones and Haynes have the ability to go past players.

And then with Grimmer too being given more license from earlier on, we can be a lot more productive.

Terry Gibson's perm

How are we going to bring in a striker in January there isn’t going to be any budget? The only way I can see it happening is to get 5 or 6 out to bring in one decent one.

itsabuzzard

Just mentioned the 'tweaks.' Let Kelly push forwards earlier instead of waiting until the second half before doing so. Play Haynes in front of Stokes to give balance on both wings. Both Jones and Haynes have the ability to go past players.

And then with Grimmer too being given more license from earlier on, we can be a lot more productive.
Thanks, Otis. I was a bit slow in posting and you beat me to it. Well let's hope MR gives this a good go, otherwise our season may be over before too long.

clint van damme

He has had chances to tweak and hasn't done it, certainly not done it enough I'm afraid.
He needs radical changes after next week, and I say after next week because I can see the sense in playing two holding midfielders away at the league leaders, I can't see the point in doing it at home against teams from the bottom half if you have serious promotion ambitions.

itsabuzzard

How are we going to bring in a striker in January there isn’t going to be any budget? The only way I can see it happening is to get 5 or 6 out to bring in one decent one.
I only mentioned the January option as a few posters had suggested it as a solution. If the budget isn't there, then MR has to work with what he's got and JP surely has to be given a decent run. What benefit is it to anyone that he's spending most of the time on the bench?

Otis

I do still think Pontichelli has a part to play. The season is still young.

Personally I DON'T think now is the time to pick him. Yeah sure, put him on earlier from the bench, but to start him now when we are not scoring at all and are barely creating chances I think will put far too much pressure and expectation upon the lad.

We are desperate at the moment. Not sure that is the right time to introduce him from the start. He needs to play with a degree of freedom and not have the saviour tag round his neck like a millstone.

Definitely should be given more game time though. He was stripped and ready to come on, but Robins obviously changed his mind.

Otis

He has had chances to tweak and hasn't done it, certainly not done it enough I'm afraid.
He needs radical changes after next week, and I say after next week because I can see the sense in playing two holding midfielders away at the league leaders, I can't see the point in doing it at home against teams from the bottom half if you have serious promotion ambitions.
But then I don't see that as radical. Kelly often gets pushed forward in games anyway. Just doing that earlier in matches I wouldn't exactly call a radical change

Terry Gibson's perm

Personally I DON'T think now is the time to pick him. Yeah sure, put him on earlier from the bench, but to start him now when we are not scoring at all and are barely creating chances I think will put far too much pressure and expectation upon the lad.

We are desperate at the moment. Not sure that is the right time to introduce him from the start. He needs to play with a degree of freedom and not have the saviour tag round his neck like a millstone.

Definitely should be given more game time though. He was stripped and ready to come on, but Robins obviously changed his mind.

It’s not all the fault of the strikers as the midfield create little and most of the balls from wide are very floated

Terry Gibson's perm

I only mentioned the January option as a few posters had suggested it as a solution. If the budget isn't there, then MR has to work with what he's got and JP surely has to be given a decent run. What benefit is it to anyone that he's spending most of the time on the bench?

It wasn’t meant as a dig, lots seem to say in January we can bring in a striker where will the money come from

clint van damme

But then I don't see that as radical. Kelly often gets pushed forward in games anyway. Just doing that earlier in matches I wouldn't exactly call radical.

Well he needs to do something because this clearly isn't working.
We haven't scored in 4 games, we haven't really troubled the opposition and we have a pool of strikers who with the exception of the Duck have 1 goal between them.
I think this pushing Kelly forward is a bit of a myth anyhow, the space between the midfield and the attack was massive yesterday all through the game until the sending off, was the same Tuesday.

Otis

It’s not all the fault of the strikers as the midfield create little and most of the balls from wide are very floated
Agree. Our return from our strikers is possible poor, Nazon apart. Biamou, Beavon and McNulty are all failing to hit the net. We are having loads of shots, but most are from distance and we are not creating clear cut chances for our strike Was it just two yesterday?

itsabuzzard

But according to match stats we are creating chances, and often far more than our opponents. We're just not converting them. Ideally JP would be eased in as part of a free-scoring attack, but that's not the case at the moment. Those "fans" who would give him dog's abuse if he didn't immediately set the place alight if given the chance should just fuck off.

Terry Gibson's perm

Agree. Our return from our strikers is possible poor, Nazon apart. Biamou, Beavon and McNulty are all failing to hit the net. We are having loads of shots, but most are from distance and we are not creating clear cut chances for our strike Was it just two yesterday?

If you have Aguero two chances will probably result in a goal with division four players they probably need nearer to six

Terry Gibson's perm

But according to match stats we are creating chances, and often far more than our opponents. We're just not converting them. Ideally JP would be eased in as part of a free-scoring attack, but that's not the case at the moment. Those "fans" who would give him dog's abuse if he didn't immediately set the place alight if given the chance should just fuck off.

As he is a local boy he will be given far more time than people like McNulty

Otis

Don't the match stats just show we are having shots rather than creating chances?

stevefloyd

I guess Robins thinking is that if he keeps the defence strong maybe we can nick a goal but its got an obsession now and he needs to be a braver manager, if he wants to keep the fans on board good ship Robins we need to be more adventurous and grind results then after we have scored we can then park our very own bus

ceetee

The stats don't tell the story.

A poorly hit shot from long distance, or a blocked shot with 3 defenders between the striker and goal may be recorded as chances but in reality they are only low percentage chances if at all.

We didn't create many clearcut chances because there is no midfielder close enough to the strikers to hit accurate through balls.

Having said that Haynes pulled a good chance wide, put a free header over the bar, and McNulty missed a cross which would have gone in if it had hit him.

Esoterica

I admire your optimise Otis but a lot of your points are taken out of the context of how repetitive the issue caused by playing the defensive midfielders is. It was already evident at Newport and then compounded against Yeovil. Since then we've also had Chesterfield, Barnet, Accrington, FGR, Colchester where we keep on repeating the same painfully obvious mistake against negative teams. That's half our games now. I was already talking about it at the end of August, did a full dissection of the issues it was causing after Carlisle in September: Our defence. It's 2 months and a third of the season he's had to fix it and yet his post match comments yesterday are "We have had the conversations this week. We have worked on positionings a lot and every little thing that you can tweak but it will not come over night." Every little thing you can tweak except the glaringly obvious half a pitch between our strikers and central midfield. He clearly isn't going to address it, in fact it doesn't even seem to be on his radar and that's what is causing me the doom and gloom.
"The lads are the ones who have got to put it right, and they will because I have got faith in them. " No Robins, it's you who has to put it right.

NortonSkyBlue

Yes the facts show that we are not in a relegation battle and are well poised as they say to push in, however I do not share the positive outlook.
We are not making chances and we are not changing our pattern of play to do so. The dogmatic approach of Robins means more of the same each time game.
In fact I remain more hopeful of getting a result at Luton than I do against the lower teams, who sit back and then we struggle to break them down.
We are in a decent position but until we become more expansive I fear we will not score enough goals and the discontent felt currently will only get worse.
Robins has joined the sack race, and although he has my goodwill at present I fear he is too stubborn to change.

skybluetony176

To be honest the season is probably panning out pretty much as I was expecting, maybe even slightly better. Never thought we would or should walk this league. It’s a real shitty league. Look how long it took Portsmouth to get out and that was with higher attendances than we’re going to attract and with owners who have the club as their sole focus.

We’re in a shitty league with shitty owners, a detached fan base and a history of decline. Getting out first time was never going to be an easy ask and always less likely to happen than mid table in my opinion.

We’re not in a relegation battle and we’re in the mix for a playoff position. There’s two positives right there. It could be oh so much worse and would be unsurprising (to me at least) if it was. Our club is the opposite of an environment that breeds success, as we’ve witnessed for seasons now.

Users who are viewing this thread