The delusion continues (1 Viewer)

ms639

I cannot get my head around the moaning going on about our loan players!

Seeing people moaning that we won't have people contracted to us blah blah, when you're on a shoestring budget in this league loans are the only way of getting out. People have to be realistic, we are not going to sign the same caliber of players on permanent deals as we have on loan. TM has shown real ambition by going for quality on a short term basis, i know we have to consider building for the future but priority number 1 is getting out of this shite league.

Players are free agents for a reason, there is not a chance we will get the same quality as we have on loan.

When you're in the third tier the rebuilding process is progressive, you get up, stabilize and then push on, what is the point in us getting players on 3 year deals who may just about hold their own in league 1 if our ambition is the championship. Much better to get them on loan, not have them tied down to a contract that we have to compensate the player out of when we realise they are crap.

matesx

A lot of fans have absolutely no grasp of our current financial position.

it costs a lot of money to operate a football club, month in month out the bills need paying.

We irresponsibly spent money we never had for years and years and look where that got us.

Short of a Sheik buying the club we have to work within budgets and eek our way up by clever management on and off the field.

No magic wand I'm afraid.

A lot of fans have absolutely no grasp of our current financial position.

it costs a lot of money to operate a football club, month in month out the bills need paying.

We irresponsibly spent money we never had for years and years and look where that got us.

Short of a Sheik buying the club we have to work within budgets and eek our way up by clever management on and off the field.

No magic wand I'm afraid.

Yep. I wonder how Burton, Walsall and Gillingham manage it.

Astute

Loans are good if used in the right way. But we now have more loans than we can name in the matchday squad and we could do with another striker. Can anyone think of a decent striker not under contract?

If not we could only bring one in on loan. That will mean another player that can't be named in the matchday squad. And if we are paying towards their wages is this not wasting money?

ceetee

As I said in another thread Anderson has said (BBC Website, local news) that any more loans are unlikely

Hobo

Yep. I wonder how Burton, Walsall and Gillingham manage it.

By being run well and not spending much.
Gillingham have slowly come back from the brink as they were 13m in debt. What helped them was selling their stadium for 10m and later buying it back for 1m. Plus several cash windfalls from selling players.

Walsall reduced their debt to 2.3 million last year by increasing revenue boosted by a Wembley appearance; so in good shape despite limited resources.

Burton came into the league in profit and are cleverly managed. average gate last year was 2947 with an aggregate attendance of 67799 but despite this they amass a turnover of 2.5 million which is pretty impressive. I don't believe they have any debt.

Alkhen

Isn't the main reason people are moaning is not the fact we are using the loan market more that we already have 6 meaning we have to leave one out of the squad. not ideal and adding more is going to complicate the matter further.

I still think we will get another loan in, im guessing a young Prem forward. Then I would hope we look to see if anyone interesting gets released before we start looking abroad as a last resort, cant remember the last player that we signed from outside the UK that worked out. Mifsud maybe?

stevefloyd

Yes but having 6 and having to leave one out most people would go for Bigi according to some of the posts on here but Murphy could do with a gee up so maybe him as well...as I said in another post if your good enough you should play if not be prepared to watch from the stands

ceetee

Agree Steve but if we are not going to use him there was no point in loaning him back

standupforcity

Loans are good if used in the right way. But we now have more loans than we can name in the matchday squad and we could do with another striker. Can anyone think of a decent striker not under contract?

If not we could only bring one in on loan. That will mean another player that can't be named in the matchday squad. And if we are paying towards their wages is this not wasting money?

We don't actually need any more players, on loan or not. Fact is we have the players we need and more...no one has left the club this season who was part of our excellent start. All that's gone wrong is that teams have worked us out, and we now have to regroup, and move forward again, with a strengthened squad. I'm looking forward to the next few weeks, and I still have to keep reminding myself that we are 5th in the league....looking good, so the last thing that needs to happen is for support to fall away...and that's down to us and no one else!! And I don't get the 'we have more loans than we need, we can't play six'. That's to imagine that the idealistic five loans will go through the rest of the season without injury...and that loans will always take priority over anyone else....crazy thinking!!!

Otis

We don't need another striker then?

I would say we are incredibly thin on the ground up front. Basically it's Armstrong and then at a push, Tudgay and that's it and Tudgay's goal per game ratio is very poor. 1 in 6 for us.

Just can't see Murphy up front at all! He needs to be just behind the striker(s).

I think we are desperate for more firepower.

Brylowes

I would say we are incredibly thin on the ground up front. Basically it's Armstrong and then at a push, Tudgay and that's it and Tudgay's goal per game ratio is very poor. 1 in 6 for us.

Just can't see Murphy up front at all! He needs to be just behind the striker(s).

We're threadbare up front as it is,I daren't even think about Armstrong getting injured

standupforcity

So would you have said at the start of the season that we need another striker, more fire power? I doubt it, yet nothing has changed. We have the tools, we're just not using them properly...

stupot07

So would you have said at the start of the season that we need another striker, more fire power? I doubt it, yet nothing has changed. We have the tools, we're just not using them properly...

Yes, I think most fans have said all season we need another striker, unfortunately Mowbray brought in MAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

And from Mowbray's comments it sounds as though he might be looking to bring in 2 more loans in (winger and striker).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

standupforcity

And from Mowbray's comments it sounds as though he might be looking to bring in 2 more loans in (winger and striker).

Well that would definitely be a good thing!

Gazolba

Burton have proven that you don't need a lot of goals to be top of the table. All you need is a stingy defence. Ours should now be a bit stingier. Unfortunately, we still have the choice of RCC or Burge in goal, neither of whom are good enough.

stevefloyd

I would definitely have said that we needed another striker unless Armstrong can score 40 goals himself which I very much doubt, strikers hunt in pairs so can take the pressure off each other then we can add goals by midfielders and then and dozen between the defenders so atm another striker is an absolute must because to rely on an 18/19 year old is too much

stevefloyd

Burton have proven that you don't need a lot of goals to be top of the table. All you need is a stingy defence. Ours should now be a bit stingier. Unfortunately, we still have the choice of RCC or Burge in goal, neither of whom are good enough.

Our defence is certainly not 1st choice and we have suffered because of that, hopefully things may improve now with Cargill and Stephens but as we know time will tell

standupforcity

I would definitely have said that we needed another striker unless Armstrong can score 40 goals himself which I very much doubt, strikers hunt in pairs so can take the pressure off each other then we can add goals by midfielders and then and dozen between the defenders so atm another striker is an absolute must because to rely on an 18/19 year old is too much

Well we do have another striker ...but unfortunately he's being played in the wrong position...his name is Murphy! We also have the inventive Lameiras who can thread a ball better than anyone....just what a striker needs and is what's missing at the moment. Solutions within the team we have.....

Otis

Yes, I did. Been saying it all season. What if....

Armstrong gets injured

Armstrong gets suspended

Armstrong is on International duty

Armstrong is out of form and needs a rest.

Plenty of other people been saying it too, even when we were winning.

Otis

Well we do have another striker ...but unfortunately he's being played in the wrong position...his name is Murphy! We also have the inventive Lameiras who can thread a ball better than anyone....just what a striker needs and is what's missing at the moment. Solutions within the team we have.....
I really don't believe Murphy is a striker. TM obviously doesn't either, otherwise when Armstrong was missing he would have played him up top instead of always going for Tudgay or MAF.

Career games 68, goals 16. That's worse than 1 in 4. Fine for an attacking midfielder, not hot at all for your main striker.

Brylowes

Goals are so hard to come by.clubs pay fortune's for players who get them,accomplished players go to pieces at the sight of goal,others just have the knack.
Armstrong has it,how many times do we see him gently side foot the ball home
when most people's instincts would tell them to put their foot through it.we have no one else in the squadlike it MAF was bought in to hold the ball up,but it's obvious that for him that
ship has sailed.We desperately need a partner/replacement for Armstrong and
have done all season.
PS I like tudgay but it's definitely not him.

standupforcity

I really don't believe Murphy is a striker. TM obviously doesn't either, otherwise when Armstrong was missing he would have played him up top instead of always going for Tudgay or MAF.

Career games 68, goals 16. That's worse than 1 in 4. Fine for an attacking midfielder, not hot at all for your main striker.

I guess I'm just trying to find a positive argument, because I don't believe we're going to find that striker...all is not lost however and I'm looking forward to seeing how we do with a strengthened defence and more confidence in the team.

oakey

I think without another striker we have no chance of promotion. We might make the play offs but would lose out IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread