The Loss Of A Pet (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Phone in this morning on the radio about losing a dog and how upset people get etc. Some were sobbing and many said theyve never gotten over losing their dog, even years later. When I was with my missus we had 2 dogs, I felt really low after they both died, and missed them around the house. One chap said he prefers animals to humans, and many agreed with him. But one person said losing a pet is worse than losing a parent/relative, sorry I don't agree with that, but some people really mean that. Any thoughts on this ?

Covstu

We lost a cat years back and it was upsetting but that was pre kids. Priorities have obviously shifted now but would be upset if the other two were to go also as they are part of the family.

I think people who prefer pets over family probably don’t have kids and this is their substitute. Each to their own I guess

Otis

Yep, can understand that.

My cat was killed by a dog and I was upset about it for years after. Every time I remembered it, it upset me.

Wouldn't say it was compatible with a human though, but do get Nick's point if it's not someone close.

Nick

Administrator
Yep, can understand that.

My cat was killed by a dog and I was upset about it for years after. Every time I remembered it, it upset me.

Wouldn't say it was compatible with a human though, but do get Nick's point if it's not someone close.
I'd pick my dog living over a cousin I haven't seen for 15 years.

Otis

I'd pick my dog living over a cousin I haven't seen for 15 years.
Yeah, agree.

I've had a brother tragically die and a cat too.

Grieved more over my cat though than some aunties and uncles who have kicked the bucket.

xcraigx

I got home from work once and the cat had managed to get tangled in some net curtains and hung itself. The wife was heartbroken. Me not so, I've never been big into cats.

Once my hamster was ill, trembling and couldn't walk. I paid £200 at an emergency vets late at night to have him seen to. There was nothing they could do and said it was old age, he died a couple of days later. That was heartbreaking for me.

bringbackrattles

Yes obviously a relative you haven't seen for years wouldnt be upsetting, but surely you would be more upset losing your parents than your pet ? But I guess if you had shitty parents !

Nick

Administrator
Yes obviously a relative you haven't seen for years wouldnt be upsetting, but surely you would be more upset losing your parents than your pet ? But I guess if you had shitty parents !
Have lost one of each, it's different different in a way. Hard to even compare it I guess

Depends on age, how long you had the pet etc. Can see why some people may be more upset then a human.

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

Have lost one of each, it's different different in a way. Hard to even compare it I guess

Depends on age, how long you had the pet etc. Can see why some people may be more upset then a human.
My sister loves dogs as does her husband. They lose one agree never again, then a month later get another one. You mention Otto their big huge dog that died last year and they're sobbing buckets. My sister is a nurse and is surrounded by death, but she admitted losing Otto hit her harder than any patient.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I lost my old boy, Floyd, after I'd had him 15½ years. I had to take him to the vets after I found him lying on the kitchen floor, hardly moving. That broke my heart and never got over it. I still haven't and have his picture on my living room wall. I couldn't face having another dog for 5 years but my missus knew how much I missed having a dog so we went out and bought my little Chihuahua, Harvey. He means the world to me and I would put my life on the line for him.
Floyd....
Floyd3.JPG

Harvey, my Chihuahua.....
IMG_1521.jpg

bringbackrattles

I lost my old boy, Floyd, after I'd had him 15½ years. I had to take him to the vets after I found him lying on the kitchen floor, hardly moving. That broke my heart and never got over it. I still haven't and have his picture on my living room wall. I couldn't face having another dog for 5 years but my missus knew how much I missed having a dog so we went out and bought my little Chihuahua, Harvey. He means the world to me and I would put my life on the line for him.
Floyd....
View attachment 10443

Harvey, my Chihuahua.....
View attachment 10445
Glad you got a new canine mate Houch. By the way has anybody ever said you look like Ray Winstone ? Gamble responsibly !

CovInEssex

Got my first ever dog exactly 5 years ago and love him to pieces. The welcome you receive when getting home from work is special. Even contemplating him dying, I could cry... It's gonna be horrible.

But many happy days and walks until then.

fernandopartridge

Phone in this morning on the radio about losing a dog and how upset people get etc. Some were sobbing and many said theyve never gotten over losing their dog, even years later. When I was with my missus we had 2 dogs, I felt really low after they both died, and missed them around the house. One chap said he prefers animals to humans, and many agreed with him. But one person said losing a pet is worse than losing a parent/relative, sorry I don't agree with that, but some people really mean that. Any thoughts on this ?
People grieve for animals as much if not more than loved ones as animals are perceived to offer unconditional love, dogs especially.

Nick

Administrator
People grieve for animals as much if not more than loved ones as animals are perceived to offer unconditional love, dogs especially.

It is effectively like a child if you have had it from a puppy as well.

We know that one of ours is probably going to have his last Christmas this year, he is about 3 weeks younger than my daughter so he is all she has ever known growing up for nearly 10 years. Dread to think how it is going to be.

greys4life

Know the feeling - used to have 6 dogs, loved them all (unconditionally), had to have the last 2 pts in the same week. It really did break my heart and I've said never again, now it's leaning towards hmm maybe after another couple of years travelling. I still cant listen to Fields of Gold, Eva Cassidy, without a tear thinking about my first greyhound, she was an angel.
I think people can and do love their pets more than a some humans including close relatives - unconditionally love, child substitute, call it what you will but its real.

Nick

Administrator
Know the feeling - used to have 6 dogs, loved them all (unconditionally), had to have the last 2 pts in the same week. It really did break my heart and I've said never again, now it's leaning towards hmm maybe after another couple of years travelling. I still cant listen to Fields of Gold, Eva Cassidy, without a tear thinking about my first greyhound, she was an angel.
I think people can and do love their pets more than a some humans including close relatives - unconditionally love, child substitute, call it what you will but its real.

Yeah it is, don't think you really understand it until you have had them.

clint van damme

A little boy said to his dad, "dad, will Timmy the tortoise die one day?".

His dad replies, " yes son. But don't worry, we'll bury him in the garden and we'll have a little ceremony and he'll go to tortoise heaven and we can have your friends round and play games and have cakes and jelly and ice cream.".

So the boy says," Can we kill him now dad?!".

Sick Boy

Both can be devastating, especially when you've had a pet since it was born and it dies in circumstances other than old age.

Saying that though, I've personally found the death of both my grandparents over the last 4 years as much more devastating. My grandmother died on the day of the Brexit vote and I still think about her most days.

I do still think of pets that died early but not as often.

Users who are viewing this thread