The Next England Manager (1 Viewer)

I personally think Roy Hodgson's time as England manager is up. He's had 4 years and in all fairness has not achieved anything more than his predecessors. So for this week's Cooks Question, i want to know if firstly, Roy Hodgson should remain as England manager, and who should be the next manager of the England national football team?

Johnnythespider

We haven't even been knocked out yet, this question is going to look a bit odd if we go on and win the thing.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

He's not going to be England manager forever Johnny. Whether he ends up a success or a failiure, he will be replaced eventually, so we need to think of who can step up

Johnnythespider

I've always liked Ranieri so I would like to see him get a go, but I suspect Gary Neville is being groomed for the position.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

no_loyalty

If we go Continental then Wenger, if we go English then Eddie Howe

Covstu

I would have to go for Neville personally he knows the setup. I think Howe is enjoying his football at club level and I wouldn't want the England job to destroy his reputation if he has the ability to move to a bigger club down the line.

CJ_covblaze

If Roy does depart the replacement has to be English. The experiments with Fabio and to a lesser extent Sven didn't work. Howe is a great manager and coach but I don't want to see him and his career get ripped apart by the media at such an early stage. The only one that is close to being good enough and at the right stage of their career is Pardew imo. Not the most popular but who else is there?

Liquid Gold

I don't think they necessarily have to be English but rather have significant experience of managing in England

CJ_covblaze

I don't think they necessarily have to be English but rather have significant experience of managing in England

It should be the same rules for managers as for players. If I had to choose a foreigner I would go for Pochettino. No one better than him in the country at the moment.

Liquid Gold

It should be the same rules for managers as for players. If I had to choose a foreigner I would go for Pochettino. No one better than him in the country at the moment.

I could agree with that if it was applied fairly over all teams.

I could see Mourinho manage England one day

skyblue1991

Ranieri who finished above him with a much lesser budget?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

Howe is a great manager and coach but I don't want to see him and his career get ripped apart by the media at such an early stage.
Other countries seem a lot happier to give managers a chance after national failure (Houllier was a disaster as French coach).

That being said, any big club ever going to take a punt on Howe, or is he hampered by being English?

CJ_covblaze

Ranieri who finished above him with a much lesser budget?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Correct but I look at who our best players have been this tournament and who has been in charge of them in the last 12 months. Leicester should've had one or two more in the squad but would any of them take the place of Spurs' five?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Will put in my thoughts and a few curve balls thrown in I think

Sean Dyche - Worked miracles at Burnley, has a clear way of playing. Classic English 442 with big man little man, teams are always committed and can motivate a bunch of players
Eddie Howe - A more modern manager rather than the classic blood and thunder kick and rush, clearly a very talented manager but I don't know whether he would leave, he is very much in his comfort zone at Bournemouth
Nigel Pearson - Can get his team up for a fight and think he would get a great team spirit going, think he's the sort that would relish the criticism that comes with England manager and use it as motivation a us against the world sort of way
Alan Pardew - Probably the most obvious choice if you are going English, not a bad manager but I'm not a massive fan. Would barely be able to fit out the door with the size of his head
Chris Hughton - A manager I have always rated, done a good job at every club he has been at imo. Badly treated at Norwich
Tim Sherwood - Not much experience but don't think you can judge him on his spell at Villa as that was a club in crisis. Gives youth a good chance (would have gave Rashford and Barkley a proper chance at this tournament) straight talking and strong enough to not let the media get to him. Would take no bs from the FA

Some non english options
Rafa Benitez - Could surely be tempted away from championship Newcastle and has a reputation as one of the best managers in world football
Arsene Wenger - His time at Arsenal is surely coming to an end, at his age a part time gig with England may suit him. Has a philosophy which would go down well but over the last 10 years has struggled to win trophies which is what it is all about
Manuel Pellegrini - Similar in many ways to his management style as Wenger, right age for an international manager and available
Roberto Martinez - One of the most overrated managers imo, don't want him but got a horrible feeling he may be in the frame.

Some other names just to throw out there
Southgate to make the step up from U21s, Laurent Blanc just left PSG, Slaven Bilic, Glenn Hoddle, Harry Redknapp.

Not saying I want these, realise some people may think the names I have mentioned are nonsense but just trying to stir up some thoughts and debate.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Daz

People are suggesting Alan Pardew on social media

Personally I'd like to see Wenger

Captain Dart

Gareth Southgate is the early favourite!
1388696.jpg

CJ_covblaze

Genuinely saddens me that Roy's gone. Ray Lewington too. Two honourable & lovely men. They had time for us. Drank with us on a number of away trips for hours at a time. They knew what we did to support our country and they cared about us. At Jimmy's celebration they stopped me and one other England regular for a chat. You'd think it would've been the other way round but it wasn't.

However, right now we have to say fair play, thank you for your efforts, you gave it a go but it has not been good enough. What should be said is that it was fairly obvious it was going to happen after this tournament whether we won it or went out in the group.

Last edited:

Captain Dart

Genuinely saddens me that Roy's gone. Ray Lewington too. Two honourable & lovely men. They had time for us. Drank with us on a number of away trips for hours at a time. They knew what we did to support our country and they cared about us. At Jimmy's celebration they stopped me and one other England regular for a chat. You'd think it would've been the other way round but it wasn't.

However, right now we have to say fair play, thank you for your efforts, you gave it a go but it has not been good enough. What should be said is that it was fairly obvious it was going to happen after this tournament whether we won it or went out in the group.

Being nice convivial blokes are not the qualifications needed, we need winners.

SkyblueBazza

Chris Waddle has just said exactly what I said during the post match summary - Glenn Hoddle!
Let's focus just on the football competency & management skills. If you consider outside stuff 1/2 the squad over most generations wouldn't be chosen. John Terry, Rooney, Gazza & many others would've all been omitted given some of their 'misdemeanours' away from the game.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread