The not so impossible mission (1 Viewer)

hill83

He's has got a point. But it is very reactionary to one victory.
The stats wouldn't be a great deal different if we had of lost today. And you can be sure if we did lose this thread wouldn't exist.

ajsccfc

I'd call it Mission Unlikely more than anything, which is part of the reason Hollywood never options my movie scripts.

SuperCov

We need to be positive. We all need to get behind the team, we should be encouraging them. Maybe we won't make the play-offs maybe we will, but we won't know if we don't try. Half glass empty and all that.

PUSB

LewSkyBlue

November 2012

Coventry v Crawley Tue 6 Nov 19:45 L

Coventry v Sc-unithorpe Sat 10 Nov 15:00 W

Hartlepool v Coventry Sat 17 Nov 15:00 W

Colchester v Coventry Tue 20 Nov 19:45 W

Coventry v Portsmouth Sat 24 Nov 15:00 D

December 2012

Coventry v Walsall Sat 8 Dec 15:00 W

Doncaster v Coventry Sat 15 Dec 15:00 D

Coventry v Preston Sat 22 Dec 15:00 L

Stevenage v Coventry Wed 26 Dec 15:00 L

MK Dons v Coventry Sat 29 Dec 15:00 L

I would make that 14 points taking us into new year, leaving us on 28 and would guess anywhere between 6th and 15th in the league depending on other results. Is it enough? i want to be optomistic and say yes but im not too sure. I could be wrong and we could win them all :whistle:

RichieGunns

Mission improbable!

I have faith in Robin's but not in our team.

I hope SISU will do the right thing and shift a load of players in January ("WHO WOULD WANT THEM!!! Blah blah blah" i thought id get in there before you all said it lmao) and use the spare wages to get Goldie and another proven goal scorer ("WHO'D WANT TO COME TO OUR CLUB, ESPECIALLY LEAGUE 1" etc etc) :D

Struggling to see SISU doing any of that unless they gain some mysterious revenue or investment as a christmas present...now that would be nice :D

I've now got an image of a class striker standing on Robin's front door step on Christmas day wrapped up in christmas wrapping paper!

Tinsel anyone lol

Paxman II

predicting what results you will get is an impossible task. Teams are fading and losing early form and various circumstances such as injuries and squad depth will begin to take a toll of most of them - a place where we are exceptionally strong tbf.
So we will likely keep improving while most others will fade more on average.
Based on that I see us doing better than some may predict.

I see us unbeaten in November now with possible 4 wins and a draw if I had to try and predict the future.
December a couple of posible defeats.
Think we will be firmly in the top 6 come the New Years.

Otis

I would only start believing if we won something like 4 in a row, or 4 out of 5.

We are still in the bottom 4 and still 11 points adrift of 6th place.

It would need an excellent run of form to get us anywhere close and what is worrying me at the moment is that we are not scoring enough goals.

There are only 4 teams in this league who have scored less goals than us. And never mind McGoldrick going in Jan, if gets injured or suspended at all we are going to be totally fooked now!

There are also only 5 teams who have let in more goals than us too. Very poor scoring record, very poor record of goals against.

The picture is still very, very gloomy and any talk of play-offs is pie in the sky. So much work to do to make us even a consistent midtable side let alone start any talk of the other end of the league table.

Last edited:

stupot07

6th place is usually around 72-76 points, last season it was 73, we have 14 from 15, that means in all likelihood we need another 59 from 31 games, almost 2 points per game.

Our only goalscorer and our best midfielder will probably not be here come Jan.

Astute

My glass has gone from half empty which lasted one game to half full again.

All teams are going to go on a bad run at some time. Tranmere got 30 points from their first 12 games. They have just dropped more points in the last 3 games than the other 12. We have lost 2 out of the last 3 games but have caught up on 1st place by 2 points. Winter will affect the smaller squads the most. We are only 11 points away from the playoffs.

Anyone who says we won't make the playoffs could well be right. It don't mean we won't make it though. Anyone who says we can't make the playoffs or even the top two is wrong though. Can't and won't mean totally different things. All we have is hope. And whilst we have a chance I will always have hope.

Sky Blues

I would only start believing if we won something like 4 in a row, or 4 out of 5.

We are still in the bottom 4 and still 11 points adrift of 6th place.

It would need an excellent run of form to get us anywhere close and what is worrying me at the moment is that we are not scoring enough goals.

There are only 4 teams in this league who have scored less goals than us. And never mind McGoldrick going in Jan, if gets injured or suspended at all we are going to be totally fooked.

There are also only 5 teams who have let in more goals than us too. Very poor scoring record, very poor record of goals against.

The picture is still very, very gloomy and any talk of play-offs is pie in the sky. So much work to do to make us even a consistent midtable side let alone start any talk of the other end of the league table.

A big positive today was keeping a clean sheet. We may not score many, but we do tend to get one goal every game (just two league blanks early in the season) so if we can keep the ball out of our own net we look like we might walk away with 3 points from most games.

Edit: But McGoldrick has been the source of most of our lone goals so, yes, without him we might have more problems getting points.

Last edited:

Gaz

Well I for one am not ready to give in and write our season off.

11 points off play offs ?
Let's do this :guitar2:

stupot07

Astute - I'm not thinking of catching anyone else, I'm looking at it purely from a points basis not what anyone might do. In the last 10 years the 71 has been the lowest points total for finish 6th. In the last 10 years 6th place has finished on: -

2011/12 - 73 points
2010/11 - 71
2009/10 - 80
2008/09 - 76
2007/08 - 76
2006/07 - 75
2005/06 - 71
2004/05 - 71
2003/04 - 73
2002/03 - 81

Ignoring anyone elses form 71 points is the lowest target we would need aim for and a might not be enough, so that means we need at least 57 points from the remaining 31 games.

Sky Blues

Astute - I'm not thinking of catching anyone else, I'm looking at it purely from a points basis not what anyone might do. In the last 10 years the 71 has been the lowest points total for finish 6th. In the last 10 years 6th place has finished on: -

2011/12 - 73 points
2010/11 - 71
2009/10 - 80
2008/09 - 76
2007/08 - 76
2006/07 - 75
2005/06 - 71
2004/05 - 71
2003/04 - 73
2002/03 - 81

Ignoring anyone elses form 71 points is the lowest target we would need aim for and a might not be enough, so that means we need at least 57 points from the remaining 31 games.

2 points per game. Simples! :laugh:

Otis

2011/12 - 73 points
2010/11 - 71
2009/10 - 80
2008/09 - 76
2007/08 - 76
2006/07 - 75
2005/06 - 71
2004/05 - 71
2003/04 - 73
2002/03 - 81

So really, we are looking at winning at least half of our remaining games. :(

Black6Osprey

The taps either on or off it seems.

I'm more of a steady trickle kind of guy.

Anything can happen mathematically and we could still win the league if you're barking mad and wish to believe it. We've won a game, it is the idea of football after all and now it's 3 wins in 15 attempts and we are still in the bottom 4. I'm happy we won but its still going to take 2 points per game till the end of the season to get to the play offs and if you think that's possible then I wish I had your optimism.

We will defo climb away from the bottom but this team is not good enough and gives too many chances away and doesn't take enough of its own chances to seriously challenge the top half of this league.

LewSkyBlue

football is a funny game never know what might happen. just got to keep the faith. Its crazy to think though if we didnt throw a 2-0 lead away at swindon and didnt concede the late goal at brentford we would have 4 more points and only be 7 off :(

stupot07

football is a funny game never know what might happen. just got to keep the faith. Its crazy to think though if we didnt throw a 2-0 lead away at swindon and didnt concede the late goal at brentford we would have 4 more points and only be 7 off :(

If we hadn't thrown away the 20+ points from winning positions last season we'd have finished just outside of the play offs rather than being relegated.

Gint11

We need to be realistic. Great result today and im chuffed to bits. Overall? yes things are better, lots of work to do. We are not going to get promoted this year in my opinion. Top 12 or so? Yeah maybe. Next season we may offer more.

LewSkyBlue

That is a great point and forgot that when I was typing my last post. We'd be looking rosy if we didnt give all that away, or even half of that tally.

im guessing u mean the point i made about brentford and swindon?...i know it is the old "if's and buts" scenario but to think if we had those 4 points a lot of peoples views would be different on our season. we need to learn by our mistakes for next year and i think we will be up there next season ;)

pitts head

Not a chance based on today's perfomance. Another woeful display. The team can't string 2 passes together. The midfield were dire. We only won because their keeper gifted us a goal and Orient's finishing was shocking.

Users who are viewing this thread