The official NFL Thread (1 Viewer)

CCFC88

just shows winning SB isnt on QB always

unlike 2010 when rodgers dragged the packers there.

:)
2010 Packers: The Packers offense ranked ninth in yards per game, tenth in total points, & fifth in passing yards. The defense ranked fifth in yards allowed and finished second in fewest points allowed (240, second best in team history), sacks (47), and interceptions (24), while also limiting quarterbacks to a 67.2 passer rating, first in the league.

The defence also held their 4 post season offences to <20 points on average, but yea, AR dragged them there

;)

covcity4life

all the offence is down to him lets be honest. fair point about defence though, although avg of 20 points agaisnt isnt mind blowing either.

i could have won SB with the pats. probably not 5 granted but 1 for sure.

tisza

I'd have Butler in Washington to replace Fuller. I've hear we're thinking of Franchiser tagging Cousins and hoping someone makes the trade on him. Big risk/big reward.
Latest I'm hearing (from friends in the states) is that Vikings may even go for Cousins. Got the cap space.
Bradford going due to injury history.
Not sure Keenum has quite enough to justify a big contract or see them to a Superbowl (even though he got them to a Championship game!!)
Bridgewater as back-up or released and another QB drafted.

Harsh on Keenum (but like Foles) was it just a one-off season?

tisza

Jimmy G highest paid ever. Lets see what that does for Cousins.
I know he did well in a no-lose situation end of last season but he's only started 7 games in NFL (I know he was behind Brady). 5-0 yes but only 7 TDs and 5 interceptions.
Seems ridiculous money to make him highest paid player in NFL.

Liquid Gold

Vikings offered 28 million dollar a year 3 year guaranteed deal for Cousins. He's apparently in Minneapolis now so looks like thats going to be done.

tisza

Vikings offered 28 million dollar a year 3 year guaranteed deal for Cousins. He's apparently in Minneapolis now so looks like thats going to be done.
See my post from a month ago. I should have put a few quid on it.
Not sure how it's going to go. Boom or bust.
He's got a good offence to work with just need to see how he works out with Defillipo (new offensive co-ordinator).
Do need a couple of linemen in free agency. Not sure Cousins is as mobile as Keenum was.

Otis

He's got a good offence to work with just need to see how he works out with Defillipo (new offensive co-ordinator).
Do need a couple of linemen in free agency. Not sure Cousins is as mobile as Keenum was.
He's not. He can be mobile, but he has a reluctance to do so.

Very surprised by this as you seemed to have three decent QB's there.

tisza

He's not. He can be mobile, but he has a reluctance to do so.

Very surprised by this as you seemed to have three decent QB's there.
operative word is decent. Take the best parts of all 3 and you'd get a good QB.
Maybe it's just the set-up but Keenum & Bradford had career seasons/stats at Vikings which they hadn't really come close to elsewhere.
Bradford injury-issues, always the question whether Keenum was just a one-off season (people will ask the same about Foles later on). Bradford only getting a 1 year deal at Arizona even it is for big money.
Bridgewater injury issues - it's still no starts since for 2 seasons. Interesting he's probably going as back-up on a 1 year deal only to Jets as back-up to McCown and not big money. Think maybe Vikings would have liked to re-sign him but salary cap and need for free agency money the main issue.
2 QBs that you can't commit big money to because of injury issues - both signing only short-term contracts elsewhere would seem to suggest other NFL teams felt the same way.

3rd QB who had a career season but again do you commit big money to a QB if you're not 100% sure with what you'll be getting.

Real surprise is committing that money to a guaranteed 3 yr deal. Cousins could walk again on another massive deal whilst in theory reaching his prime years.
Comes down to Vikings needing to capitalize on what they have now - a team that could still challenge for an SB.

Liquid Gold

Cousins can be a good QB at times but he's also incredibly frustrating. Look back at this thread to see me going mad about him making very simple mistakes. Taking safeties, not throwing the ball away when he needs to and not knowing where first down markers are. He's also never really dragged the Redskins to victory in the way a proper franchise QB like Brees, Rodgers, Brady etc. do on a regular basis.

Maybe he's Minnesota's best option right now to put with that great team to go for a SB but I have a feeling he's going to be a disappointment to you.

tisza

Cousins can be a good QB at times but he's also incredibly frustrating. Look back at this thread to see me going mad about him making very simple mistakes. Taking safeties, not throwing the ball away when he needs to and not knowing where first down markers are. He's also never really dragged the Redskins to victory in the way a proper franchise QB like Brees, Rodgers, Brady etc. do on a regular basis.

Maybe he's Minnesota's best option right now to put with that great team to go for a SB but I have a feeling he's going to be a disappointment to you.
It's a difficult call. I've said earlier in this thread I'm not a big Cousins fan (even before he was linked with the Vikings). Do think he was probably the best QB we faced last year in regular season - putting up big numbers and 30pts on our defence. Redskins have had plenty of other issues apart from Cousins.
It probably comes down to (injuries aside) that Cousins does have a higher ceiling than the other 3.
Other 3 have all been steady rather than spectacular. Again I think it's a lot to do with the coaching set-up at the Vikings that Keenum & Bradford had career seasons here on the back of limited success elsewhere. Maybe the same can be a possibility for Cousins.
As regards the money it's just that Cousins was the highest-ranked available QB. Already was one of the highest paid players in NFL when at the Redskins.
Brees took a pay cut/freeze to stay at the Saints. It's cost the Cardinals 20m to get Bradford. Keenum's getting 18m at the Broncos.
Rodgers deal will beat Cousins's.
Can't say I like the structure of deal - only 3 years and all guaranteed but probably 2 or 3 other teams were prepared to offer something similar.
Vikings are at a win now stage with the age of the team and the fact that a lot of the key players are approaching free agency next season and the one after. And they still have a defence that can compensate/win games for a QB that may make errors.

tisza

also maybe have to compare Cousins (an experienced QB) 28m to Garappolo (relatively experienced) 27.5m

ccfcrob

Would be nice to see him frozen out. Maybe have him develop a bit of humbleness.
Id quite happily have him at the Jags, If Eli comes as he is supposed too, it would be perfect to have OBJ by his side.

ccfcrob

It's ok Jags just got Kessler from the Browns. i Thought the Eli thing didn't sound right.
Eli was talked about all season and was everywhere on trade deadline day but couldn't get it across the line.
I honestly think giving Bortles the option was the wrong thing to do, but I was our best season for 10 odd years.
Lets hope we can build on it.

tisza

Never followed it. Always forget it is on and find out after who's signed for who.
like us every summer.
sign a load of players who you know little about.
most disappear but occasionally something good turns up :)

tisza

You're going to need that O-Line rock solid if you don't want the $28m man to crumble.
Smith's getting nearly $24 million - over next couple of seasons.
Market's going to keep going that way. 2 other teams were prepared to offer the same deal, 2 others offered more money. Still seems a reasonable salary when an injury-prone Bradford is getting 20m.

Liquid Gold

Smith's getting nearly $24 million - over next couple of seasons.
Market's going to keep going that way. 2 other teams were prepared to offer the same deal, 2 others offered more money. Still seems a reasonable salary when an injury-prone Bradford is getting 20m.
It's definitely a big couple of years for the Vikings. Superbowl or bust.

Users who are viewing this thread