Things that annoy you (31 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

What is it BTW? I called Teacher Pensions the other day to ask what the deal was if I ever went back and they said cos I’ve been out over five years I’d start on the new pension that came in in 2022 but didn’t say what that was.
The employer contribution went up to 27% I think.

fernandopartridge

Whilst I agree with all of this in principle, Its worth pointing out that UK wages are not significantly different to comparable nations.
UK wages are marginally better than France, Spain, Italy & Ireland, whilst marginally worse than Germany & the Benelux nations for example......

What REALLY fucks us Brits up is the cost of living + the overall tax burden....Housing, Rent, Insurance, public transport even the aforementioned shit costa coffee......way way over-priced compared to the other EU nations.

I don't think that's necessarily true, the UK pay is skewed greatly by some very high earners in the city and generally in London and the South East. The rest of the country is basically a low wage economy, 40% of people claiming Universal Credit are in employment.

Sick Boy

I don't think that's necessarily true, the UK pay is skewed greatly by some very high earners in the city and generally in London and the South East. The rest of the country is basically a low wage economy, 40% of people claiming Universal Credit are in employment.
Similar to Italy where the wealth is in the north and a lot of the south is destitute. Hopefully the UK manages to avoid the same level of brain drain in the long term.

jimmyhillsfanclub

You could well be right, although I'm sure the rural poor in France and Ireland would make the same point regarding the wages in Paris and Dublin for example.
Obviously lots a different factors in different nations, but it is true that the headline figures of average salaries and the national minimum wages are broadly similar.

Sbarcher

There’s not really such a thing as affordable housing. If new properties are high end, then logically those moving in are leaving lower end properties open.

Don’t know about Italy, but our problem here is we just stopped building anything about 50 years ago. Transport, infrastructure like reservoirs, and housing, all ground to a halt.

You’ve got local councillors in London Zone 1 complaining about flats that’s are too tall. In central London!! And that’s the norm.

We just need to build a lot more houses. Like in the millions. Our stock is poor quality and we have one of the lowest empty property percentages in Europe. And we need to start telling angry groups of boomers to fuck off and that they world doesn’t run around preserving their property prices and ensuring the landscape looks the same as it did when they were a kid.
Used to be relatively easy if you were both working to afford your first house. Ok this was 40 years ago!
Now it’s virtually impossible.

fernandopartridge

There’s not really such a thing as affordable housing. If new properties are high end, then logically those moving in are leaving lower end properties open.

Don’t know about Italy, but our problem here is we just stopped building anything about 50 years ago. Transport, infrastructure like reservoirs, and housing, all ground to a halt.

You’ve got local councillors in London Zone 1 complaining about flats that’s are too tall. In central London!! And that’s the norm.

We just need to build a lot more houses. Like in the millions. Our stock is poor quality and we have one of the lowest empty property percentages in Europe. And we need to start telling angry groups of boomers to fuck off and that they world doesn’t run around preserving their property prices and ensuring the landscape looks the same as it did when they were a kid.
It was 45 years ago it was decided that the market shall serve and it just has not

Users who are viewing this thread