this summer's cricket (1 Viewer)

tisza

So basically Pakistan have had 4 proper warm-up games (and this 2 day knock about now) whereas Buttler, stokes, Woakes probably have no 4 day cricket going in, Wood the 1 game.
So much for a professional approach to all forms of the game.
With our record at Lords, their pace attack, lack of preparation for a third of the side bet we get turned over .

tisza

wood over Woakes. slight surprise after his performance in last Lords Test against Pakistan - 11 wickets and some runs

Terry Gibson's perm

I would have bowled this morning there is a bit of overhead and the pitch has a tinge of green, if a bowler was captain today they would have put Pakistan in

Covstu

First year I am missing the Edgbaston test and its frigging India! Damn you holidays

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Conditions looked perfect for Anderson, Broad and Woakes (I know they’ve gone Wood) to have a bowl.
But not surprised they’ve gone for the bat option.
Woakes own fault for choosing not to play in the IPL hopefully England will free him up to play for the Bears for the next few one dayers starting tomorrow v Lancs

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

3 down already....

Would have been interesting to see this inexperienced Pakistan batting line up this morning facing the swinging ball!

tisza

Hope it's not a sign of things to come but Root is developing a knack for making bad calls after winning the toss.

Terry Gibson's perm

Hope it's not a sign of things to come but Root is developing a knack for making bad calls after winning the toss.

If they had any other options they would have to change him, I do wonder if they are positioning Bairstow for a go.

tisza

marvellous captaincy worrying about what pitch might do in last innings. think about 1st innings. pakistan bat well might not even be a 4th innings

tisza

Vaughan "as soon as the ball does a bit, they haven't had the ability to get through it - they just throw their hands at the ball."
so nothing new then!!

Terry Gibson's perm

Pathetic England should have put them in rolled them over for under 150 batted big tomorrow and not worried about the fourth innings

chiefdave

Interesting chat on TMS. A lot of the top order are 'names' such as Cook, Root, Stokes who are seen as un-droppable but the top order has been failing for a long time.

Is it time to make wholesale changes and put in younger players who are scoring at county level and say they've got 5-10 games to adjust to test cricket?

Lets face it, couldn't get much worse.

tisza

Interesting chat on TMS. A lot of the top order are 'names' such as Cook, Root, Stokes who are seen as un-droppable but the top order has been failing for a long time.

Is it time to make wholesale changes and put in younger players who are scoring at county level and say they've got 5-10 games to adjust to test cricket?

Lets face it, couldn't get much worse.
problem is aren't many young top-order batsmen scoring sufficient runs atm to warrant a call-up unless they take a punt on someone like Clarke or Pope (another keeper batsmen batting around 6 or 7)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Packing the middle order with one-day players is never the answer.

Exactly they’re hoping to smash their way out of it hoping between 4-7 they can muster about 200 runs between them in a couple of sessions!

It’ll probably come off once in 10 inns maybe.

I’d give Jennings another go opening, bring maybe Clarke in at 6 at the expense of Buttler.

Play Woakes certainly not Wood.

tisza

Pakistani pair showed how to bat on day 1 of a Test match.
Got their heads down and toughed it out.
Build an innings - not chase everything early in an innings.
So few Test matches are won by throwing the bat especially early on.
Gonna check the odds for this one to be done in 4 days and also for an innings victory.
Pressure on to get 4 or 5 wickets before lunch tomorrow

lifeskyblue

Unbelievably poor again from England. No longer surprised by our ineptitude with the bat. Yes Pakistan bowled well but the batting was simply atrocious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tisza

I really fear for our bowling attack once Anderson and Broad depart, somebody is going to have to hit the ground running ASAP!
That's the problem - no-one's claimed the 3rd pace spot with the view to being Anderson's successor. Been what 6 or 7 candidates in last couple or so years - Finn, Ball, T R-J, Woakes, Wood, Curran, Overton.
Old story English county cricket not conducive to producing express quicks - number of games, types of wickets etc. 80 odd mph isn't going to cut it at Test Level unless you can swing the ball or have great control.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

That's the problem - no-one's claimed the 3rd pace spot with the view to being Anderson's successor. Been what 6 or 7 candidates in last couple or so years - Finn, Ball, T R-J, Woakes, Wood, Curran, Overton.
Old story English county cricket not conducive to producing express quicks - number of games, types of wickets etc. 80 odd mph isn't going to cut it at Test Level unless you can swing the ball or have great control.

That’s the concern with the other youngsters coming through Porter and Coad haven’t got out and out pace.

Helm I watched last night for Middlesex quick but a bit erratic, Stone may be a dark horse even in div 2 for Warwickshire

Terry Gibson's perm

That’s the concern with the other youngsters coming through Porter and Coad haven’t got out and out pace.

Helm I watched last night for Middlesex quick but a bit erratic, Stone may be a dark horse even in div 2 for Warwickshire

Stone looks sharp this year just needs to keep fit.

If Hain can get some red ball form he is the man in the middle order

The openers role is a real issue and somebody to bat around the decision to bring back Buttler is ludicrous

tisza

It's this issue of where out & out pace may not be the best option for home series but is usually an asset for away series.
Why Anderson & Broad are game changers at home and underwhelming away from home.

Terry Gibson's perm

What a decision to bat the fourth innings won’t be required anyway brainless decision by Root he is turning into a dreadful captain

tisza

mixed bag.
some decent bowling, some just too short.
some missed chances/drops.
But it is obviously not a terrible pitch to bat on and underlines how brainless 1st innings batting was (although full credit to Pakistan bowlers who bowled with good discipline and to a team plan)

tisza

mixed bag.
some decent bowling, some just too short.
some missed chances/drops.
But it is obviously not a terrible pitch to bat on and underlines how brainless 1st innings batting was (although full credit to Pakistan bowlers who bowled with good discipline and to a team plan)
just getting sloppy now.
got to start finding odds for Pakistan innings win.

Terry Gibson's perm

I’m just waiting for Cooks retirement speech once they start dropping catches with regularity they tend to disappear soon after.

Users who are viewing this thread