Thought for the day (1 Viewer)

tommydazzle

Radio 4's 'Thought for the Day' always makes me cringe. Embarrassing, patronising and above all dishonest.

tommydazzle

This comes on my clock radio every morning and it's at that point I'm off to the bathroom to empty my bladder. It's only a few minutes, in amongst the news and a different thought each day. It usually goes something like this, I was watching Blue Planet and marvelling at all the majesty of the oceans and it made me think of why Jesus is so great and why god must be true or maybe something like people do such wonderful things to help one another and it makes me realise that without faith this just wouldn't happen.
It just seems so out of place in a serious news programme. Luckily was up early enough to miss this it today.

richnrg

ive got no faith and I saw Blue Planet.
Did he mention why god allows man to throw shit loads of plastic into the sea to kill the rest of gods beautiful creatures too?

Sky Blue Pete

So cynical!!

Surely it’s useful to take stock and have a think about life and how to make things more manageable.

There’s so much shit on the radio about murder, hate, stabbing, shootings etc etc.

I am a Christian man and seek to spend some time thinking about how I can serve those around me better.

Seems a little disingenuous to say it’s dishonest. What’s dishonest?

tommydazzle

It's dishonest because the message always implies that morality belongs to those with faith and that religion is the 'truth'. Why can't Thought for the Day include a humanist or secular speaker to give another point of view?

tommydazzle

These speakers always give the impression that they would be violent, vengeful, cruel, jealously vicious, vindictive and hateful (bit like their gods) if they didn't have faith and that they need this father figure and afterlife threat/reward to behave well.

Astute

I would like to know how a white man was born in a country that didn't have white people.

Sky_Blue_Daz

My brother went through a spell of texting me random proverbs and saying, here's a few of them.

Always be true to your teeth for one day they could be false to you.

A lie has no wings but can travel far and wide

People are not annoyed with the cockerel waking up early it's the noise it makes when it does wake.

They weren't particularly inspiring and he gave up after a few days

richnrg

I would like to know how a white man was born in a country that didn't have white people.
hang on..
..he could walk on water, make loaves of bread and fish multiply, turn water into wine, make cripples walk, and you're amazed that he was a little bit pale?

richnrg

on a related note, I just read this in Private Eye - from TV quiz Tipping Point on ITV:

Ben Shepard: "Which Biblical figure do Christians believe is the son of God sent to save mankind from death and sin?"
Contestant: "Pass".

:happy:

Sky Blue Pete

It's dishonest because the message always implies that morality belongs to those with faith and that religion is the 'truth'. Why can't Thought for the Day include a humanist or secular speaker to give another point of view?
That’s a shame I think humility rather than hypocrisy is the character trait that I desire

tommydazzle

Humility is good, don't see it very often though. In the end you often have to judge a particular religion by the example it sets. Need we say more?

Captain Dart

What was the actual thought for the day?
Thought for the day is where a religious figure starts talking about some social issue and you are going along with it thinking he has a point then he goes and spoils it all by turning the argument into some sort of justification of his religion, ridiculous. At this point you scowl and reach for the button to tune in Radio 5 instead of Radio 4.

Johnnythespider

Don't re-tune to radio 2 as you will find something called "pause for thought" which sounds identical to this

Users who are viewing this thread