Three greatest managers in English football history (1 Viewer)

japandy

As I walked home I was thinking this and Shankly (my hero) and Cloughie came to mind but then I looked deeper and my 3 are as follows;

3. Dario Gradi - He and Fergie are great mates and ManU's change to academy football was the start of success for them. DG was the father of this philosophy in this country and if he managed at a higher level would be held in the same way as Fergie. Even the National team have benefitted by his existance.

2. Bobby Robson - The greatest English team I ever saw was Ipswich Town under him. There was Dutch influence, which I think is the best in the world, and English work ethic. He was ahead of his time and we as a country never understood his greatness as the Spanish and Dutch did.

1. Fergie - He has achieved something that is nearly impossible to achieve. I remember seeing City vs ManU when they were rock bottom and the tranformation is remarkable. But he has done it year after year. Again his secret is he always wanted to learn and he never banged his own drum. What he has done for football is mindblowing. He made football teams a brand and he has done so much for making football the peaceful way in life to settle disputes. He is not my favourite but he is the best.

Sky Blue Kid

1) Fergie without a doubt untouchable, at no1 spot.
2) Robson, and the Spanish touch for me at no2
3)Jimmy Hill has to have a place in the top three, simply for what he did at Coventry City. 3rd to 1st Div. Top man.

japandy

Its about 'opinion'. My favourite team has always been Ajax and Robson's Ipswich team was amazing as they played the Dutch way.

cloughie

Paisley won more than shankly and must be close to fergerson in trophies

Also 3 european cups

very under rated manager because he followed Shankly

1) Has to be Brian Clough - Derby & Forest were no bigger clubs than us. Wining European cup with Larry Lloyd, John Robertson and Kenny Burns was a real achievement (twice!) if you remember the atttiude of those players before that (even though Larry Lloyd was one of my favorites at City)
2) Ferguson - don't forget achievements at Aberdeen in Scotland and Europe
3) Shankly - set up all that followed at Liverpool in 70s & 80s working with those that followed,

Paxman II

Dario Grady? If he had been thought as highly as you say Japandy then he surely would have managed at a higher level?

Have to agree with gasworks.

I should really have said Brian Clough / Peter Taylor - hard to say how each would work without the other. Then as a partnership Sillett/ Curtis not bad! All down to earth and able to get the best out of those they worked with.

beduth

Jock Stein has to be up there with the best , 67 euro cup win with Glasgow born ( re-local players ) , that feat will never be repeated .

Last edited:

Otis

1) Has to be Brian Clough - Derby & Forest were no bigger clubs than us. Wining European cup with Larry Lloyd, John Robertson and Kenny Burns was a real achievement (twice!) if you remember the atttiude of those players before that (even though Larry Lloyd was one of my favorites at City)
2) Ferguson - don't forget achievements at Aberdeen in Scotland and Europe
3) Shankly - set up all that followed at Liverpool in 70s & 80s working with those that followed,

Clough at Derby and Forest didn't have the resources or money Fergie had at Man Utd.

Ferguson is a great manager, but the best?

Would have been really keen to see how he would have got on at a club with a lot less money and a lot less in the way of resources. Then we would have seen how good he was!

Man Utd is set up for success.

Don't wish to knock Fergie's achievements, but they do need to be put in perspective.

Recent successes

League Title

FA Cup

League Cup

Champions League

Compare that say to Chelsea, in the same time period

League Title

FA Cup

League Cup

Champions League

And they achieved that under a succession of managers, not just under one single manager. Just goes to show how money and resources are a massive factor.

Shankley was a brilliant manager. When he went the foundations were laid and everything was in place. Manager after manager after that continued to have some success for some time as all the building blocks were in place.

Fergie, a great manager, yes, but the best? I'm not quite so sure.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Clough at Derby and Forest didn't have the resources or money Fergie had at Man Utd.

Ferguson is a great manager, but the best?

Would have been really keen to see how he would have got on at a club with a lot less money and a lot less in the way of resources. Then we would have seen how good he was!

Man Utd is set up for success.

Don't wish to knock Fergie's achievements, but they do need to be put in perspective.

Recent successes

League Title

FA Cup

League Cup

Champions League

Compare that say to Chelsea, in the same time period

League Title

FA Cup

League Cup

Champions League

And they achieved that under a succession of managers, not just under one single manager. Just goes to show how money and resources are a massive factor.

Shankley was a brilliant manager. When he went the foundations were laid and everything was in place. Manager after manager after that continued to have some success for some time as all the building blocks were in place.

Fergie, a great manager, yes, but the best? I'm not quite so sure.

You're forgetting Fergies achievements in Scotland with St Mirren & Aberdeen......and Cloughs failures.....Fergie has not failed anywhere...Clough failed at Forest & had an epic fail at Leeds....

Users who are viewing this thread