Top Ten Boxers Of All Time ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

On twitter a boxing forum asked for our top 10 boxers from all eras.
Not easy but I chose mine. In no particular order. Ali, Marciano, Tyson,Sugar Ray Robinson,Duran,Hagler, Hearns, Henry Armstrong, Louis, Dempsey. A mixture from Heavyweight, and Middleweight.
Any more top 10 ?

clint van damme

Not easy but I chose mine. In no particular order. Ali, Marciano, Tyson,Sugar Ray Robinson,Duran,Hagler, Hearns, Henry Armstrong, Louis, Dempsey. A mixture from Heavyweight, and Middleweight.
Any more top 10 ?

One of my favourites is a fighter called Jose Torres.
He came through in a similar way to Tyson. Bit of a bad lad, got taken under the wing of Cus D'Amato who turned him into a world champion, (at light heavy weight.)
Later in life he found he had a talent for writing, (a bit like you BBR!), he co wrote a book on Ali called Sting like a bee which is well worth a read and also wrote a book Tyson called Fire and fear which is very good. Because of the symmetry of their early lives and his D'Amato connection he really got to delve into what made Tyson tick, another one worth a read.

bringbackrattles

One of my favourites is a fighter called Jose Torres.
He came through in a similar way to Tyson. Bit of a bad lad, got taken under the wing of Cus D'Amato who turned him into a world champion, (at light heavy weight.)
Later in life he found he had a talent for writing, (a bit like you BBR!), he co wrote a book on Ali called Sting like a bee which is well worth a read and also wrote a book Tyson called Fire and fear which is very good. Because of the symmetry of their early lives and his D'Amato connection he really got to delve into what made Tyson tick, another one worth a read.
Yes I have heard of Torres. He died some years back. On books there's a cracking book at now on Freddie Mills the ex British boxer. It alleges that he was a serial killer ! There's enough evidence to convict him, but as he's dead they're a bit late !

clint van damme

Yes I have heard of Torres. He died some years back. On books there's a cracking book at now on Freddie Mills the ex British boxer. It alleges that he was a serial killer ! There's enough evidence to convict him, but as he's dead they're a bit late !

that sounds nuts! I'll look into that.

Gazolba

Any more top 10 ?
Someone's already figured it out:
ESPN.com: ALL-TIME GREATEST BOXERS

rondog1973

Think middleweight is the best division. Perfect balance of speed and power. Thus, from what I've witnessed in my time, Marvin Hagler is my fave. Just loved how unrelenting he was.

Genuinely think too that if Chris Eubank wasn't so preoccupied with his cod philosophical pontificating, he would have been one of the all time greats of British boxing.

clint van damme

Think middleweight is the best division. Perfect balance of speed and power. Thus, from what I've witnessed in my time, Marvin Hagler is my fave. Just loved how unrelenting he was.

Genuinely think too that if Chris Eubank wasn't so preoccupied with his cod philosophical pontificating, he would have been one of the all time greats of British boxing.

I actually think that what hampered Eubank was the fact that he wasn't a natural middle and he had to spend too much time managing his weight before fights.

You can't blame him for doing it, if rumours are correct, him, Benn, Watson etc were getting around an £800,000 purse for their fights because of the interest in that division at the time and he only got £50,000 when he fought Carl Thompson at junior heavy weight.

LastGarrison

It's all clearly subjective, however, Tyson should be nowhere near any of these lists!!!

Exits thread before the prime blah blah, prison blah blah, Cus D'Amato blah blah brigade arrive.

bringbackrattles

It's all clearly subjective, however, Tyson should be nowhere near any of these lists!!!

Exits thread before the prime blah blah, prison blah blah, Cus D'Amato blah blah brigade arrive.
Sorry but have to disagree. And you have to look at him in his prime, as he was awesome and up there with the best.

Nick

Administrator
Best boxer type would theoretically be boxers like Mayweather but I can't stand watching them.

I'd much rather watch two blokes get stuck in for entertainment. A bit sick I know but a bloke knocked out over points every time for me.

NorthernWisdom

Best boxer type would theoretically be boxers like Mayweather but I can't stand watching them.

I'd much rather watch two blokes get stuck in for entertainment. A bit sick I know but a bloke knocked out over points every time for me.
That'd be most exciting boxer then.

Very early memories for me, but loved the Hearns, Duran, Hagler fights.

Gazolba

There was a Cuban heavyweight boxer Teófilo Stevenson who competed in the Olympics, who was virtually unbeatable.
He won three gold medals in 72, 76 and 80. He probably would have won a fourth, but Cuba boycotted the 84 Olympics.
He had an 11-year unbeaten run.
He turned down an enormous sum of money offered to fight Muhammad Ali and never went professional.
Teófilo Stevenson - Wikipedia

Users who are viewing this thread