Transfer Rumours (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueCRJ

Seen a few rumours knocking about us being linked with a fair few players over the last couple of days so thought I'd start a thread because lets be honest even the ones from dodgy sources catch your eye. I'll start off...

Dujon Sterling - Chelsea (RB)
Adam King - Swansea (CM)
Jamey Osborne - Solihull Moors (CAM)
Sikiri Dembele - Grimsby Town (RM)
Macauley Bonne - Leyton Orient (ST)

SkyBlueCRJ

Judging from the amount of rumours that have been going around I do actually believe we're monitoring the Dembele's situation, but in the sense that we're probably looking at what other clubs are willing to pay first

Cavan O'Doherty

I’d imagine that most (if not all) the transfers we complete from now till the end of the window will come out of nowhere, just like the Junior Brown signing.

Reactions: RFC

larry_david

Most, if not all our signings last summer were kept quiet. I wonder why the Chelsea and Mickleover transfers have supposidly been leaked by the media

SlowerThanPlatt

Is that Dembele actually any good? Reading their forum he had a great first month of the season won young player of the month then went off the boil and said he wanted to leave later during the season

SkyBlueCRJ

Is that Dembele actually any good? Reading their forum he had a great first month of the season won young player of the month then went off the boil and said he wanted to leave later during the season

I think he's a top player. He had his head turned after he won the young player of the month as there were reports that Premier League clubs were monitoring him.

SlowerThanPlatt

I think he's a top player. He had his head turned after he won the young player of the month as there were reports that Premier League clubs were monitoring him.

Where would he fit in? We have Jones returning and Allassani already.

I’d say the left side needs to be strengthened more. Just Shipley at the moment and that’s not his natural position

SlowerThanPlatt

Apparently Bradford’s bid wasn’t even six figures so if that’s around asking the price we should go for him. Still not sure where he fits in though

Mucca Mad Boys

With all due respect, I’d hardly describe a player with 4 goals in 20 appearances for a team lucky to still be in L2 as a.’top player’. Fair enough, he was in a rubbish team and setup and he might have decent potential.

Is Demebele better than what we have? Probably not. Jones last season was quality before his injury and Allassani at least has real pedigree and was a stand-out performer down a few leagues. I suppose Dembélé would fit in nicely off the bench.

If the goal is genuinely promotion, it doesn’t make sense that all the ‘targets’ here have only really ever been average L2 players.

KersleyDigs

A fluid front four of:

Jones Allesani Dembele
McNulty

Would terrify most L1 defences! I think Bayliss and Shipley will play this campaign back in their natural central positions and will compete with Doyle, Kelly & Westbrook

djr8369

At some point surely we need to bring some quality in, maybe after the Maddison money comes in...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyBlueJord

A fluid front four of:

Jones Allesani Dembele
McNulty

Would terrify most L1 defences! I think Bayliss and Shipley will play this campaign back in their natural central positions and will compete with Doyle, Kelly & Westbrook

You're forgetting Andreu who, if lives up to what we all think he can, will be a pivitol figure in the middle of the part for us

SkyBlueCRJ

With all due respect, I’d hardly describe a player with 4 goals in 20 appearances for a team lucky to still be in L2 as a.’top player’. Fair enough, he was in a rubbish team and setup and he might have decent potential.

Is Demebele better than what we have? Probably not. Jones last season was quality before his injury and Allassani at least has real pedigree and was a stand-out performer down a few leagues. I suppose Dembélé would fit in nicely off the bench.

If the goal is genuinely promotion, it doesn’t make sense that all the ‘targets’ here have only really ever been average L2 players.

I'd be careful when reading into stats, stats aren't the be all and end all. For instance there are a host of Premier League players who's stats don't necessarily reflect their importance to their respective teams. I think he has the potential to be a top player at League One level given the chance. The only drawback is that his attitude is something that could be questioned. I know you can't judge a player from one month of football but at the beginning of the season he won Young Player of the Month for October (I think) and he looked like he'd take League Two by storm. Then once the rumours of Premier League and Championship clubs sniffing around him started he suddenly had his head turned and stopped drumming out the same level of performances.

A lot of people are assuming Jones will be back all guns blazing once he returns and I think the majority are underplaying how serious his injury was. It's not uncommon for players to never be the same again after an ACL tear, so just bare that in mind. Recovery timelines can also sometimes extend to well over a year in some cases before a player is able to recover fully. This is the same with Andreu. I'm not sure I fully understand your logic. Allassani has been playing 3 leagues below League One, can you guarantee he'll hit the ground running? He's clearly got talent but you can't guarantee that and neither can I as the majority of his career has been spent in development football or non-league. So is he ready?

Dembele is 20 years old, has great dribbling ability and has all the attributes to be a good player at League One level if nurtured correctly. IMO he's a solid player and has the potential to be a top player at this level as I thought he stood out in League Two.

If Robins could bring in a better and more experienced calibre of player then I certainly wouldn't complain but I personally would be very happy with the Dembele signing on to compete with Allassani.

SlowerThanPlatt

I'd be careful when reading into stats, stats aren't the be all and end all. For instance there are a host of Premier League players who's stats don't necessarily reflect their importance to their respective teams. I think he has the potential to be a top player at League One level given the chance. The only drawback is that his attitude is something that could be questioned. I know you can't judge a player from one month of football but at the beginning of the season he won Young Player of the Month for October (I think) and he looked like he'd take League Two by storm. Then once the rumours of Premier League and Championship clubs sniffing around him started he suddenly had his head turned and stopped drumming out the same level of performances.

A lot of people are assuming Jones will be back all guns blazing once he returns and I think the majority are underplaying how serious his injury was. It's not uncommon for players to never be the same again after an ACL tear, so just bare that in mind. Recovery timelines can also sometimes extend to well over a year in some cases before a player is able to recover fully. This is the same with Andreu. I'm not sure I fully understand your logic. Allassani has been playing 3 leagues below League One, can you guarantee he'll hit the ground running? He's clearly got talent but you can't guarantee that and neither can I as the majority of his career has been spent in development football or non-league. So is he ready?

Dembele is 20 years old, has great dribbling ability and has all the attributes to be a good player at League One level if nurtured correctly. IMO he's a solid player and has the potential to be a top player at this level as I thought he stood out in League Two.

If Robins could bring in a better and more experienced calibre of player then I certainly wouldn't complain but I personally would be very happy with the Dembele signing on to compete with Allassani.

Not really the type of player we want here then? Some of our players were linked to other clubs but still were committed to us and gave us everything to get over the line

SkyBlueCRJ

Not really the type of player we want here then? Some of our players were linked to other clubs but still were committed to us and gave us everything to get over the line

Well like I said it's a drawback that will undoubtably divide opinion if Robins is keen on him. But I have confidence Robins has the experience and character to deal with any egos otherwise he wouldn't sign a player unless he was sure they'd contribute and not simply be a disruption to the team. He re-signed JCH after all who's attitude is at times less than desirable.

In all fairness to Dembele he came out of obscurity to being linked with Premier League clubs within a matter of months. That would turn most heads wouldn't you say? He's only human after all.

mark82

He's 21 and has a lot of potential. It fits the mould of what Robins is trying to do and is in a similar mould to Jones and Allessani.

Mucca Mad Boys

He's 21 and has a lot of potential. It fits the mould of what Robins is trying to do and is in a similar mould to Jones and Allessani.

We’ve got a team stacked with youth and potential in midfield; Bayliss, Jones, Shipley and Allassani. If anything, we need a few more experienced L1 pros. If the lad is available on the cheap, then why not sign him, otherwise, I don’t see where he fits in nor do I he’s good enough for the top end of L1. More than happy to be proven wrong if he joins us.

The other ‘linked’ players have pretty undistinguished records in L1/L2 too. Adam King played about 7 games for Mansfield. Bonne’s record outside the National League, is very average. I’ve not heard of Osborne, but his stats are unremarkable.

It seems as if most of these names have been plucked out of thin air, with the exception of Sterling. If we’re serious about promotion, we need to sign players that reflect that, like Junior Brown, who rejected a contract from a team who narrowly missed out in L1 playoff final to join us. Not a collection of players who have undistinguished records at L2 level!

better days

Don't recognise any of the names mentioned as being players we have been interested in apart from Dujon Sterling
He's actually played for Chelsea's first team twice and was player of the tournament when England won the U19 World cup
Can't see Dembele being a possibility unless Grimsby are desperate for money and no big clubs are in for him
That type of young player commands a big fee even if bought by a big club to 'Stockpile'

Mucca Mad Boys

My logic is pretty easy to understand, a player who managed 4 goals, 3 assists in 36 games in a team that were lucky to avoid relegation can hardly be regarded as a ‘top player’ as you describe him. What would that even be based off? What you’ve read? What you’ve seen? He sounds like he played well in Game 2 but in the 4-0 loss at our place, wasn’t special at all. One thing I will give him is that Grimsby team was terrible, so it is difficult for him to reach his optimal performance levels.

Is he necessarily better than what we currently have? Jones, Shipley and Bayliss all have better records and Dembélé scored in a grand total of 3 games. You can’t consider him a ‘top’ player by any metric. If he has potential and is available within our price range, then I suppose he’d be worth a punt.

Mucca Mad Boys

Don't recognise any of the names mentioned as being players we have been interested in apart from Dujon Sterling
He's actually played for Chelsea's first team twice and was player of the tournament when England won the U19 World cup
Can't see Dembele being a possibility unless Grimsby are desperate for money and no big clubs are in for him
That type of young player commands a big fee even if bought by a big club to 'Stockpile'

Glad you’ve come in on this, looking at the players, it did seem the names were plucked out of thin air. With the exception of Dujon Sterling, which if the Chelsea source is to be believed (which a poster on here has vouched for) it is a done deal.

SkyBlueCRJ

My logic is pretty easy to understand, a player who managed 4 goals, 3 assists in 36 games in a team that were lucky to avoid relegation can hardly be regarded as a ‘top player’ as you describe him. What would that even be based off? What you’ve read? What you’ve seen? He sounds like he played well in Game 2 but in the 4-0 loss at our place, wasn’t special at all. One thing I will give him is that Grimsby team was terrible, so it is difficult for him to reach his optimal performance levels.

Is he necessarily better than what we currently have? Jones, Shipley and Bayliss all have better records and Dembélé scored in a grand total of 3 games. You can’t consider him a ‘top’ player by any metric. If he has potential and is available within our price range, then I suppose he’d be worth a punt.

That's not what I was referring to. You were insinuating that Dembele wouldn't fit within the mould of the squad due to Allassani and Jones behind ahead of him in the pecking order. That's where I'm questioning your logic because, despite his talent, you nor I have any idea if Allassani can cope with the standards required of League One. Furthermore, Jones is still recovering from a serious injury that requires, at times, beyond a years worth of recuperation. It's a 46 game season minimum, do you automatically not think that there won't be any injuries over the course of that period? Look at last season for a point of reference. The fact we were lacking in out and out wingers meant that we were forced to play our naturally central players (Bayliss/Shipley) out of position on the wing. Do you really want a repeat of that next season? Bayliss struggled whenever I saw him play wide right, leave him in his natural position where he can shine.

But back to referring to your use of stats once again. His stats don't reflect his quality I'm afraid. Grimsby were an awful team, they had every right to be relegated this past season but survived by the skin of their teeth. Granted he had off games but Dembele is only 21 years old, the amount of expectation put on him after the first few months of the season would've likely been overwhelming. This combined with Premier League interest in the run up to the January transfer window ultimately turned his head and no he wasn't the same player after he didn't get a move. This is clear from his stats as he didn't score a goal after the end of November. But this also coincides with their woeful run of form of 20 games without a win. Can't really put that all on him can you. It's a team game. For instance, Maddison was dreadful after the January transfer window in the 2015-16 season. Did that make him an average player? And he got his move to a higher club so he had no reasoning to play poorly. Although he's no JM, young players can't be expected to perform week in week out.

Not sure it's necessary to explain myself but for starters I have friends who are season ticket holders who have all stated that despite the fact he's a primma donna and his end product could do with some work he has a great deal of potential. Secondly, I kept tabs on him after the away game against Grimsby at the start of the season as he impressed me and from what I read in reports and the odd game I managed to catch it's clear he could be nurtured into a top player at a higher level.

I'd be happy if we managed to secure his services personally but clearly you don't agree.

ccfc_ukr

to be fair, i doubt we will hear much until the world cup is over and all the players has returned, then we can reject the ones we don't want to sign for us...

:happy::happy::happy:

Captain Dart

The rumor mill will be in overdrive in the next few weeks if MR gets a good bit maddison sell money to spend lol.
SISU/ARVO should announce they're repaying a substantial part of the debt with the windfall to dissuade other clubs from trying to overcharge.
In fact wasn't a large part of transfer business conducted early before the Maddision money was confirmed, very wise.

mark82

SISU/ARVO should announce they're repaying a substantial part of the debt with the windfall to dissuade other clubs from trying to overcharge.
In fact wasn't a large part of transfer business conducted early before the Maddision money was confirmed, very wise.

Imagine the meltdown on here if they announced that.

Cov kid 55

Dembele was by far Grimsbys best player against us. Ask Stokes and Grimmer both struggled against him both home and away.
He was tremendous in the first half against us at Grimsby. Him and Jones running at defenders would be some sight and terrifying for opposing defences - BUT - is there room for two such players in a team?

Mucca Mad Boys

That's not what I was referring to. You were insinuating that Dembele wouldn't fit within the mould of the squad due to Allassani and Jones behind ahead of him in the pecking order. That's where I'm questioning your logic because, despite his talent, you nor I have any idea if Allassani can cope with the standards required of League One. Furthermore, Jones is still recovering from a serious injury that requires, at times, beyond a years worth of recuperation. It's a 46 game season minimum, do you automatically not think that there won't be any injuries over the course of that period? Look at last season for a point of reference. The fact we were lacking in out and out wingers meant that we were forced to play our naturally central players (Bayliss/Shipley) out of position on the wing. Do you really want a repeat of that next season? Bayliss struggled whenever I saw him play wide right, leave him in his natural position where he can shine.

But back to referring to your use of stats once again. His stats don't reflect his quality I'm afraid. Grimsby were an awful team, they had every right to be relegated this past season but survived by the skin of their teeth. Granted he had off games but Dembele is only 21 years old, the amount of expectation put on him after the first few months of the season would've likely been overwhelming. This combined with Premier League interest in the run up to the January transfer window ultimately turned his head and no he wasn't the same player after he didn't get a move. This is clear from his stats as he didn't score a goal after the end of November. But this also coincides with their woeful run of form of 20 games without a win. Can't really put that all on him can you. It's a team game. For instance, Maddison was dreadful after the January transfer window in the 2015-16 season. Did that make him an average player? And he got his move to a higher club so he had no reasoning to play poorly. Although he's no JM, young players can't be expected to perform week in week out.

Not sure it's necessary to explain myself but for starters I have friends who are season ticket holders who have all stated that despite the fact he's a primma donna and his end product could do with some work he has a great deal of potential. Secondly, I kept tabs on him after the away game against Grimsby at the start of the season as he impressed me and from what I read in reports and the odd game I managed to catch it's clear he could be nurtured into a top player at a higher level.

I'd be happy if we managed to secure his services personally but clearly you don't agree.

Quite wish washy and anecdotal if I’m honest.

Look, I’m not raising questions about his ability or potential per se. What I am doing is voicing my concern that I just can’t see where he fits in exactly as well as taking exception to the assertion that he is a ‘top player’.

The reality of the situation is that we’d have to spend a significant amount of money on him. For me, it’s not worth it because we have plenty of talent ourselves who are at least as good as him. In terms of squad role, I don’t think we need his type of winger — Jones and Allassani fit that role. For me, we need a traditional winger type who hugs the touch line, takes players on and gets balls in the box. Jones can do that on the left, but we lack a right footer who can do that. Dembélé is primarily a left winger. Frankly, we don’t need a player like him, he’ll cost more than we could afford, and he isn’t better than what we’ve got. I’d rather us sign a experienced L1 player who we know can perform well at L1 level.

You’re right that we don’t know how Allassani will do, but it’s a transfer that is low risk, high reward because we didn’t spend a lot him at all. He’s got fantastic pedigree and appears to have had rotten luck thus far in his career. Dulwich’s manager more or less said that he went for next to nothing (they could’ve commanded a decent fee, but kept because he was essential to their promotion chances).

You’re fixating on Dembélé a bit too much. My points applied to all the ‘linked players’, who appear to be plucked from thin air. None of them have respectable records in L2 or above and my argument is simple: none of these names make any sense if our goal this season is promotion to the Championship. For example, Adam King played 7 games for Mansfield last season... how on Earth is that the kind of player who’d even push for first team?!

Users who are viewing this thread