Ubuntu (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

Anyone use it? Is it any good? Is it easy to stick on a home network?

Nick

Administrator
What do you need it for? Just for a computer?

It is quite easy, quite nice looking.

If you use the graphical version it should be easy enough!

torchomatic

Yeah an three year old Compaq All In One that I don't have a Windows licence for. It's easy enough to get Windows 7 on it of course but just thought I'd give Ubuntu a go. Can I stick Spotify and that on it?

ajsccfc

You can do near enough anything you can do with Windows and more, just that it may need a little more coaxing which is pretty much what you accept with a Linux distribution.

skybluesam1987

I must admit I love UBUNTU. I had an old Windows Vista computer that kept shutting down from overheating it had no room to put anything on it so I stuck Ubuntu on it and it runs like new. It will keep going all day if I need it. I'm no teckie and I did it by just following the instructions on their forum. Good luck with it. Spotify does work a treat on it too.

torchomatic

Thanks all. I'll give it a go.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RegTheDonk

Thanks for raising this guys. I inherited a netbook with Win7. Absolutely useless, an atom chip and not much RAM which was totally underpowered to run. After putting LinuxMint on it, its now a pretty useful tool for surfing, paying poker, watching iPlayer and youtube, and downloaded music and video clips.

Cheers :claping hands:

J

Jack Griffin

Stuck xubuntu (lightweight unbuntu using x-windows) on older PC last year.. runs fine.
http://myubuntublog.com/ubuntu-vs-xubuntu/

I used it because...
a) Lightweight, important as it is an old machine with slower processor (some sort of Celeron I think).
b) Gives all basic features I need for a home work station for a bit of programming & documentation, web access

SlowerThanPlatt

Started using it on my netbook, albeit the netbook version of ubuntu. Was initially very impressed, but found the fact that I couldn't edit the size or position of the sidebar quite annoying. Also, not sure if it was my imagination but the netbook seemed to run hotter than usual.

Users who are viewing this thread