Unnecessary queuing at petrol stations.... (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I was at my local station today and happened to park "the wrong side " of the pump: that is, the pump was to my left but my petrol cap was on the right of the car, which means I had to pull a bit on the hose extension to get it across. Before long, two there cars were behind me waiting, and yet, on the other side of the aisle, absolutely nothing.
This happens all the time . Don't people realise the pump hose is long enough to stretch to both sides of the car ? If you're the wrongs side, just roll the car a bit further forward.
I just thought it needs putting out there .

Otis

I was at my local station today and happened to park "the wrong side " of the pump: that is, the pump was to my left but my petrol cap was on the right of the car, which means I had to pull a bit on the hose extension to get it across. Before long, two there cars were behind me waiting, and yet, on the other side of the aisle, absolutely nothing.
This happens all the time . Don't people realise the pump hose is long enough to stretch to both sides of the car ? If you're the wrongs side, just roll the car a bit further forward.
I just thought it needs putting out there .
It makes me laugh. You will get drivers queuing up for a pump and I simply drive in behind them, go to a free pump and the pull the pump's hose round to the petrol cap side of the car.

I just don't get it.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Well done Otis. I feel vastly superior when I roll up to an empty pump and there's a queue the other side. I don't know how I found out . Sometimes I feel like telling them they could go the other side, but then I think , sod 'em. They'd probably tell me to fuck off anyway.

CJ_covblaze

What I don’t get is when people pull up to a pump, go into the kiosk, don’t buy anything else and then pay by card. Why not pay at the pump? It’s bloody annoying!

Otis

What I don’t get is when people pull up to a pump, go into the kiosk, don’t buy anything else and then pay by card. Why not pay at the pump? It’s bloody annoying!
Not all pumps do 'pay at pump' though. Been many a time where I have been happy to pay at the pump, but there hasn't been the option to.

NorthernWisdom

Having stood futilely as it refuses to print a receipt because it's run out of paper, at least there's somebody in front of me to change the roll if I pay at the counter...

(Plus it keeps someone in a job, rather than making them redundant to the machine.)

Oh, and I know full well the nozzle will reach either side, but I prefer the laziness of it being close and not bashing against my car all the time, too.

Otis

Having stood futilely as it refuses to print a receipt because it's run out of paper, at least there's somebody in front of me to change the roll if I pay at the counter...

(Plus it keeps someone in a job, rather than making them redundant to the machine.)

Oh, and I know full well the nozzle will reach either side, but I prefer the laziness of it being close and not bashing against my car all the time, too.
If you had a car like mine you wouldn't mind it being bashed.

Macca

I have bought 20 quids fuel and I have a 20 pound note. I then stand in a queue for 10 mins behind people buying anything other than petrol. Makes me want to go on some kind of rampage

dutchman

It's the same at supermarket checkouts, people pile in behind me even when there are other checkouts empty.

Maybe it's a legacy of the war and British people just like queuing?

CJ_covblaze

Not all pumps do 'pay at pump' though. Been many a time where I have been happy to pay at the pump, but there hasn't been the option to.

Most do. On the odd occasion it doesn’t print a VAT receipt you can walk a yard or five and get it from any other pump. In my experience throughout Europe a lot of petrol stations are unmanned and are debit, credit or fuel card only. Found it miles easier.

Otis

Most do. On the odd occasion it doesn’t print a VAT receipt you can walk a yard or five and get it from any other pump. In my experience throughout Europe a lot of petrol stations are unmanned and are debit, credit or fuel card only. Found it miles easier.
In Europe it would be kilometres, surely.

stupot07

I tell you what irritates me at petrol stations, though that don't park within the lines, then take forever to to fill up and pay, you pay at pump nice and efficiently, then are bloody stuck waiting for them as they've blocked the way through.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

Stretching the pump across to the opposite side of your car is a good way to scratch your paintwork.

Gaz71

How do I do that then? As soon as it prints (or not!) my receipt, it wipes all awareness of my existence, and the only thing I can do at any pump is start to buy some petrol...

Go to another pump and press re print receipt option and then put your card in and it will print you a receipt.

Mcbean

Helpful, info for mothers wives and old folk - on each car fuel gauge there is a small arrow which indicates the side the filler is on - check it out

eastwoodsdustman

Stretching the pump across to the opposite side of your car is a good way to scratch your paintwork.
I scratched one of my older cars doing this and haven’t filled up this way since.
I get really annoyed when people get back into their cars and pisspot about for 5 minutes before driving off.

Users who are viewing this thread