Virgin Tivo (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Been a Sky customer for ages but I'm moving soon and it looks like there's no way to get a dish on the new place so thinking of moving to Virgin. Well actually I was thinking of cord cutting but I'll still need internet so was thinking of going for a cheaper Virgin package to get DVR capability for Freeview.

What's Tivo like compared to Sky+? Reviews seem all over the shop. Some say it's brilliant, others awful so thought I'd see if any of you chaps had it.

AGSB15

I've got a TiVo box and I don't like it. I find it a bit complex and it records things that I don't want to watch/I keep recording things by accident. Don't like the controller much either. The older Virgin stuff was much better in my opinion

stupot07

Sky plus is much easier to use, the Virgin box is a tad complicated but pretty good once you get used to it (you can record 3 things at once, or record 2 and watch another channel, I also like the way you can explore the show and easily find another showing if you've got clashes and the way you manage series links). No sky Atlantic though :(

The controller is an awkward shape and falls off the sofa all the time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

SkyBlueScottie

Love the TiVo box, however it feels like VMedia are being left behind a bit in terms of channels / shows / boxsets available to view. A few years back V media used to brag about the amount of content they had on catch up etc... In terms of BB nothing matches them. I am seriously considering cutting the cord.

Otis

I have Tivo. a few minor niggles, but overall I like it. It does record things you don't want as suggestions, but it gauges you're viewing habits and does try to suggest based on what you have been watching. If you give stuff the thumbs down it won't suggest it again.

Not perfect, but overall I like it.

Johnnythespider

I have TiVo and I like it, once you get used to the menu's it's fine to navigate, one plus for me is when I had sky every time it rained the picture pixelated or froze, this doesn't happen with TiVo as its a cable service.

P.S what's all this cutting the cord malarkey, are you expecting a baby ?

chiefdave

what's all this cutting the cord malarkey, are you expecting a baby ?

Basically not having a TV service at all in the traditional sense and having everything online either through the likes of Netflix or buying a download. It works for most shows as they go up for sale as soon as they air. Think it's only Sky who hold back their shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord-cutting

Was thinking of getting the lowest Virgin bundle as it gives me DVR capability and 50Mb broadband for £39 a month compared to £33 a month for BT Infinity at 38Mb with no TV. The place I'm moving to is Virgin ready but can't have a Sky dish and doesn't even have a regular TV aerial for freeview or a BT phone point.

chiefdave

The biggest complaint I see about Tivo seems to be that its slow compare to Sky+. Not sure if that means its actually slow or just a bit slower.

blueflint

done away with sky got amazon firestick with kodi downloaded can get all sky programs and all freeview you still need internet
bt infinity works well

Users who are viewing this thread