Vive la Republique! (1 Viewer)

wingy

Got to admire the French, when they won't have it, they won't have it.
Time for a revolution to halt the erosion of benefits gained by our fathers post war.
All being driven by the greed of speculators, Corporations and Globalisation.
The money they're stealing from us isn't disappearing, except into the elites pocket.

chiefdave

We're way too passive in this country. A lot of people are quite happily about to vote to leave the organisation that protects our working rights despite the fact we have the minimum level of rights allowed and have tried arguing for them to be relaxed. Don't have to be a genius to see what will happen if EU workers rights don't apply to us anymore.

The French have a 35 hour working week, ours is 48. They don't allow unpaid overtime, we do. They get 30 days holiday average compared to our 28. They also can't be contacted or receive emails out of hours and have to have a minimum of 11 hour break between working days with a least one break of 35 hours a week, essentially outlawing working a 7 day week.

The proposed changes would still see them better off than us.

chiefdave

IS their average wage higher?

Depends how you look at it. If you look at just the numbers then no. There's are $48K and ours $54K (they get reported in dollars as its supposed to be more reliable). But our consumer prices are 4.4% higher and rent / mortgage 34.8% higher.

If you think they have it good some countries are now adopting universal income. Basically all benefits are removed and everyone gets a set amount (rent controls have to come in as well). The theory is people are then free to do the type of job they want and the lower end jobs have to be made more attractive rather than just offering minimum wage.

In this country its been said it would be cheaper to do that than is currently spent on benefits when you allow for the cost of administering the current system.

Another thing some countries are adopting is the 3 day week but with the same pay. It goes back to an old Einstein theory which Hawking is a big supporter of. Idea is as technology advances less man hours are required to achieve the same output (think of the local car factories as a good example). That gives two options. Either those at the top make more and more while there are less jobs (thats what we have) or you pay everyone the same to work less so everyone in the country is better off and you have a better work / life balance.

Terry Gibson's perm

Depends how you look at it. If you look at just the numbers then no. There's are $48K and ours $54K (they get reported in dollars as its supposed to be more reliable). But our consumer prices are 4.4% higher and rent / mortgage 34.8% higher.

If you think they have it good some countries are now adopting universal income. Basically all benefits are removed and everyone gets a set amount (rent controls have to come in as well). The theory is people are then free to do the type of job they want and the lower end jobs have to be made more attractive rather than just offering minimum wage.

In this country its been said it would be cheaper to do that than is currently spent on benefits when you allow for the cost of administering the current system.

Another thing some countries are adopting is the 3 day week but with the same pay. It goes back to an old Einstein theory which Hawking is a big supporter of. Idea is as technology advances less man hours are required to achieve the same output (think of the local car factories as a good example). That gives two options. Either those at the top make more and more while there are less jobs (thats what we have) or you pay everyone the same to work less so everyone in the country is better off and you have a better work / life balance.

The only problem with a three day week would be greedy people working in the other four days.

chiefdave

Don't they get muderered for tax?
Their basic rate is lower (14% compared to our 20%) but they have a middle rate we don't have. €26,792 - €71,826 is 30%. Although that means their higher rate doesn't kick in as low so it probably all evens out.

RegTheDonk

Chief, I don't understand the ins and outs of all that ... but if we're currently in the EU, how come we aren't getting the same deal as the French from our own government? Surely some unions would be taking action under some legislation to stop the employed masses from having a rough deal.

chiefdave

Chief, I don't understand the ins and outs of all that ... but if we're currently in the EU, how come we aren't getting the same deal as the French from our own government? Surely some unions would be taking action under some legislation to stop the employed masses from having a rough deal.

There's a thing called the working time directive. But what it contains is a maximum, so you must not work more than 48 hours a week (except in the UK as we negotiated an exemption!). Individual countries can set their own limit so long as they are 48 hours or lower. There's loads of other stuff in it as well, health & safety, holiday allowance, right to collective bargaining are all in there.

Sick Boy

There's a thing called the working time directive. But what it contains is a maximum, so you must not work more than 48 hours a week (except in the UK as we negotiated an exemption!). Individual countries can set their own limit so long as they are 48 hours or lower. There's loads of other stuff in it as well, health & safety, holiday allowance, right to collective bargaining are all in there.

As a whole I would have to say the people of Britain are incredibly passive when it comes to treatment in the workplace. I have 2 weeks off in the summer and a client has tried to arrange a meeting during this period, management hinted that I should look at cancelling our holiday. I then offered to give up my home and just move into the office and live on a sofa-bed in the corner.

chiefdave

As a whole I would have to say the people of Britain are incredibly passive when it comes to treatment in the workplace.
Its strange really. More and more rights get taken away but nobody is motivated to do anything. Anyone who objects is labelled lazy or a lefty.

mrtrench

Unemployment in France is over 10% and more than double that in the UK. They are relaxing the employment rules in order to encourage higher employment.

ccfc92

As a whole I would have to say the people of Britain are incredibly passive when it comes to treatment in the workplace. I have 2 weeks off in the summer and a client has tried to arrange a meeting during this period, management hinted that I should look at cancelling our holiday. I then offered to give up my home and just move into the office and live on a sofa-bed in the corner.

What did they say? :D

RegTheDonk

Chief, thanks for outlining that :)

We get this a lot, working in public sector - not cancelling holidays but constant pressure to do more and "show willing", with hints all the time about "the cuts".
On that, its quite laughable that the government goes on about protecting front line services and cutting out middle management etc....but its the middle managers who decide who gets the chop.

Sick Boy

Its strange really. More and more rights get taken away but nobody is motivated to do anything. Anyone who objects is labelled lazy or a lefty.

That's the narrative that has been set by the current government. If you don't have a job then it is because you are too lazy and feckless to hold one down. Sadly people actually fall for it and attack the 'scroungers', ignoring the vast amounts of wealth held by those at the top.

Sick Boy

What did they say? :D

They mumbled something and then walked off. I then sent them a couple of links to some sofa beds and asked what they though. Naturally I suggested that I opt for the smaller one as to not take up too much space.

rondog1973

That's the narrative that has been set by the current government. If you don't have a job then it is because you are too lazy and feckless to hold one down. Sadly people actually fall for it and attack the 'scroungers', ignoring the vast amounts of wealth held by those at the top.
Not just the current government. Thatchers term was just the same.

Sick Boy

Not just the current government. Thatchers term was just the same.

Yes that is true...I was only a child when she was I power though. The disturbing thing is that people fall for it. The most vulnerable and needy within our society are made scapegoats by those who hold the power and the masses turn on their and condem them for the country''s and society's woes.

Users who are viewing this thread