Match Thread Walsall vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 8th Dec (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Walsall vs. Coventry City match, tactics and predictions :)

Otis

Big question is, will it help us at all their playing two games while we have had none?

Will we be fresh or rusty?

Erm... That's obviously two questions, though very much related.

Philosorapter

Coventry City at Walsall

IMG_1947.PNG IMG_1971.PNG

Coventry City (1523)
Best (1586) on 27 Oct 2018

Win (1545) +22
Draw (1522) -1
Loss (1500) -23

Esoterica

Burge
Sterling Willis Davies Brown
Bayliss Kelly Ogogo Thomas
Chaplin JCH

Doyle on for the last 30 minutes if we need to see the game out.
Bakayoko on for the last 30 if we need to score.

Nick

Administrator
Bakayoko to celebrate with a Ronaldo cross with his arms while jumping to the home fans when he scores the winner?

Philosorapter

I just did that on my calculator and -23 +22 is indeed -1. You're right.

Its to show the range between the win, draw and loss variables for each match played. The range is gradually narrowing for each match played at the moment vs the length of time between the matches.

Earlier on in the season there were a big difference in the range for different type of results but as the more games are played over a time period, the more accurate the rating system becomes, and the less range in which all the individual ratings will move up and down.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Otis

Its to show the range between the win, draw and loss variables for each match played. They are gradually narrowing for each match played at the moment vs the length of time between the matches.

Earlier on in the season there were a big difference in the range for different type of results but as the more games are played, the more accurate the rating system becomes, and the less range in which the rating will move up and down.

Hope this helps.
10 out 10 for your persistence, Philosorapter. :)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Big question is, will it help us at all their playing two games while we have had none?

Will we be fresh or rusty?

Erm... That's obviously two questions, though very much related.
I make that 4 questions Otis.
Q1: Will it help us at all their playing two games?
Q2: Will it hinder us while we have had none?
Q3: Will we be fresh?
Q4: Will we be rusty?

Gibbo

When you have lost a couple as we have, a split develops between what we think the manager will pick and what we would choose ourselves - when you are winning there is little argument natch.

Assumptions: Davies and Sterling available and Robins will be his usual conservative self, valuing continuity over short term form. He also has emotional commitments to Chaplin and Doyle. Therefore I expect the usual

Burge
Sterling-Davies-Willis-Brown
Thomas-Bayliss-Doyle-Hiwula
Chaplin-JCH

But as we are playing away having just been badly beaten away by a similar club, I would pack the midfield. I would also bench the two out of form players Chaplin and Hiwula. Against Posh it seemed clear that Bayliss has been encouraged to run, so I would put him on the wing in the hope that Bayliss / Sterling could be the next Tommy Hutch / Bobby Mac partnership. So I end up with

Burge
Sterling-Davies-Willis-Brown
Bayliss-Kelly or Ogogo-Doyle-Thomas (prefer Kelly)
Bakayoko-JCH

But I know nothing......

steve82

Id like to see this hopefully

--------------Burge-------------
Grimmer--Willis--Davies--Brown
Bayliss--Ogogo--Doyle--Thomas
---------JCH----Hiwula----------

What I fear seeing a return to this

--------------Burge-------------
Grimmer--Willis--Davies--Brown
---------Ogogo--Doyle----------
Thomas-----Bayliss------Hiwula
--------------JCH--------------

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skybluegod

Its to show the range between the win, draw and loss variables for each match played. The range is gradually narrowing for each match played at the moment vs the length of time between the matches.

Earlier on in the season there were a big difference in the range for different type of results but as the more games are played over a time period, the more accurate the rating system becomes, and the less range in which all the individual ratings will move up and down.

Hope this helps.

Genuine question, why do you do this? When I think nobody understands or really pays attention to them...

Sky Blue Harry H

Interesting to see what team Walsall put out tonight at Shrewsbury - hope all their best players get crocked (only time I'm not a fair minded sportsman when it comes to things that may help CCFC !)

no_loyalty

Change of formation, I would like to see Doyle and Kelly or Ogogo in the middle with Bayliss further forward in a free role just behind JCH, may have to leave Hiwula on the left even though he has been fairly poor in the last few games, unless you play Baka there? Drop Chaplin to the bench.

Sky Blue Harry H

Walsall fielding at least 6 first teamers (plus more on the bench) this evening - here's hoping a few end up in first aid!

Paxman II

I would expect Hiwula to drop to the bench with Kelly coming in to repeat the pairing that worked so well last season with Doyle.Doyle needs this help. Sterling could be back or on the bench. I would reinstall Davies but for Willis not Hyam as Willis has beena little sluggish of late. Bakayako will be on the bench and will get on around 60 minutes to probably score or make the winner!
My gut says this is a win and the team will be well prepared and under no elusion they must get back to winning ways.

1-3

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

--------------------Burge
Sterling*----Willis----Davies---Brown
Thomas----Doyle---Bayliss---Hiwula
---------------Baka------JCH

I think one of the CB's won't be fit, so Hyam will probably play. Also Grimmer if Sterling isn't ready.
I'm keeping Doyle in as we've had a good rest from our last game and I'm treating it as last chance for Bayliss and Hiwula to impress before getting dropped.
Chaplin dropped to the bench for a game just to see how he reacts - will it spur him on or will he sulk?

I'll go for 1-1.

cc84cov

Tom Davies has to come back in not only our best defender but his range of passing to switch play Is crucial.Chaplin needs to be dropped not working out for him.I think 4231 will come back into play with Kelly helping Doyle as he’s too isolated in the 442.JCH to lead the line with the 3 behind him all getting beyond him.

Burge
Grimmer Davies hyam Brown
Doyle kelly
Thomas Bayliss Hiwula
JCH

shmmeee

Genuine question, why do you do this? When I think nobody understands or really pays attention to them...

Why not? Who does it harm?
I like it personally for two reasons:

- I’m a data geek so I like mathematical modes and I like football and this is a mathematical model of football, and the fact I don’t quite get it makes it interesting
- It’s now SBT transition and a match thread wouldn’t be the same without it

Adge

Tom Davies has to come back in not only our best defender but his range of passing to switch play Is crucial.Chaplin needs to be dropped not working out for him.I think 4231 will come back into play with Kelly helping Doyle as he’s too isolated in the 442.JCH to lead the line with the 3 behind him all getting beyond him.

Burge
Doyle kelly
Thomas Bayliss Hiwula
JCH
Yep, same for me as that team. Need to get back to winning ways ASAP and stop the rot, so realistically any draw will do.

pusbccfc

Burge
Duj-Davies-Willis-Brown
Bayliss-Kelly-Doyle-Thomas
Baka-JCH

Bakayoko winner in front of the city fans doing the shush.

stupot07

Burge
Grimmer Hyam Davies brown
Bayliss Kelly Doyle Thomas
Bakayoko Chaplin

It needs a shake up in midfield and up front.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

no_loyalty

Burge
Doyle kelly
Thomas Bayliss Hiwula
JCH

That is pretty much the team I'd choose, apart from Willis for Hyam and bring in Sterling for Grimmer, if Sterling is fully fit.

johnwillomagic

Hmm Tricky one this one but players have been rested so think I would line up with this assuming players have recovered from injuries.

Burge GK
Sterling RB
Brown LB
Willis CB
Davies CB
Thomas LM
Doyle CM
Kelly CM
Bayliss RM
Bakayoko ST
JCH ST

Subs: LOB, Hyam, Grimmer, Ogogo, Shipley, Chaplin, HIwula