Wasps in talks to takeover Ricoh (1 Viewer)

Ashdown

Err, London Wasps, permanent home in Coventry..............Do one, we already have our own Rugby team thanks !

Evo1883

Deary me , im just concentrating on the football , whatever happens happens , us as supporters would not be able to influence any decision made by acl or the council on this

Last edited:

Otis

Once again I can but say ..... drop the bleeding legal proceedings against CCC /ACL you daft buggers.

Do that and I don't see any reason why negotiations couldn't take place for Sisu to at least get a part share in the Arena.

Maybe this is ACL being clever and getting Sisu to drop all the court nonsense. :thinking about:

Last edited:

MichaelCCFC

If this is true then it's as wrong as us being moved to NTFC. The Ricoh is the home of CCFC - end of. And we have our own rugby club already. Have acl, ccc, sisu not learnt a thing from what's gone on? Are they intent on destroying our club one way or another? The only thing acl should be saying to wasps is 'do one'. As fans we are in the hands of two companies - acl-sisu - who spout warm words about fans but don't give a flying fuck about us.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I assume there are other things that have been said and can not be reported because the Wasps statement doesn't actually refer to the Ricoh or any one specific site. The council statement seems to contradict the talks are anything other than discussions about playing matches there because how is bringing in a London rugby team and making them the owners in the best interests of Coventry communities (for example CCFC or Coventry Rugby team). Wasps have no fan base in or connection to Coventry

I would be very disappointed and annoyed if this went through and the stadium was owned/controlled by Wasps

Last edited:

Evo1883

I assume there are other things that have been said and can not be reported because the Wasps statement doesn't actually refer to the Ricoh or any one specific site. The council statement seems to contradict the talks are anything other than discussions about playing matches there because how is bringing in a London rugby team and making them the owners in the best interests of Coventry communities (for example CCFC or Coventry Rugby team). Wasps have no fan base in or connection to Coventry

I would be very disappointed if this went through
I think we all would tbh , but as usual we wont get any say ££££££££££££££££££££

Monners

It the price is right, then they will sell - it is completely wrong to do so of course as it won't benefit the local community one iota, and certianly wo't benefit CCFC. Makes you wan to give up on "organised" sport altogether to be honest - I shall continue with my "journey of the long distance runner", encourage the boy with his swimming, and continue to watch my daughter in her athletics.

hill83

Shit one for the rugby lot, but could that open a potential deal to be done with CCFC?
I've got no idea.

duffer

I'm not quite sure how this would sit with the RFU at either national or regional level (I don't really understand the RFU set up in truth, it looks even more complex than the FL!).

When interviewed recently on CWR, Peter Rossborough seemed to imply that it was nowhere near as straightforward as Wasps moving to the Ricoh just because they wanted to.

I doubt this is anywhere near a done deal, but as a follower of both the footy and rugby teams, I hope it gets binned double-quick. It's not exactly great for the followers of London Wasps either I'd venture, the owners of their club appear to be trying a 'Wimbledon'.

Edit: Rossborough is president at Cov RFC iirc. A smart man, has pulled them right out of the fire and turned the club around. We could use someone like that.

Last edited:

RoboCCFC90

Surely this has to force our Clubs owners to act if they are really serious about owning our own Stadium in Coventry, I.e the Ricoh, should a serious offer be on the table from Wasps.

I wonder how much a controlling stake is worth in terms of an offer on the table, would the Club be invited to match it due to being the main tenant at the Ricoh currently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monners

A lot of the London rugby teams have played outside the capital to maximise income, with no thought at all for the fans. Wasps is one of these, along with Saracens and London Irish (have/do use Wycombe, Reading, Watford). The London teams also play double headers at Twickers a couple of times a year - again for the cash. Northampton Saints have played at MK and the Ricoh before, and their Chairmen threatened the local Council with taking the team to MK permenantly if he wasn't given planning permission/funds to expand Franklins Gardens - and Saints are a big club and very prominant in the local (and wider) community, but that didn't seem to matter.

In other words - the fans of any sport don't matter - its all about money and shareholders (now there's a revelation!)

Last edited:

samccov1987

The article mentions buying half acl. What if Sisu brought the Higgs share and wasps the council half - two pro sports teams playing there each week like Swansea and ospreys. Huddersfield and the giants. Morally wrong for wasps supporters but as a business decision they get a ground cheaper than building one in london. Two sports teams might realise the potential of the site.
Actually think it makes sense to have two teams operating from there just a shame cov rugby aren't big enough to justify the move.

duffer

A lot of the London rugby teams have played outside the capital to maximise income, with no thought at all for the fans. Wasps is one of these, along with Saracens and London Irish (have/do use Wycombe, Reading, Watford). The London teams also play double headers at Twickers a couple of times a year - again for the cash. Northampton Saints have played at MK and the Ricoh before, and their Chairmen threatened to local Council with taking the team to MK permenantly if he wasn't given planning permission/funds to expand Franklins Gardens - and Saints are a big club and very prominant in the local (and wider) community, but that didn't seem to matter.

In other words - the fans of any sport don't matter - its all about money and shareholders (now there's a revelation!)

Bang on the money mate. The only difference I see is that this is a much bigger move (geographically) than the others you mention. I hope that on that basis, the RFU see sense and refuse to sanction it. Wouldn't bank on it though!

torchomatic

Maybe "hell will freeze over" before ACL let Wasps buy a stake in the Ricoh.

Nick

Administrator
Surely people should protest against this and stop it from happening? Nobody outraged against a Team being moved away from it's home or anything?

duffer

Why? From a commercial angle it might well make sense. CCFC had the chance to buy in, but botched it horribly and are now relying on court action to get what they want.

As far as we know CCFC are not showing much appetite to renew negotiations regarding a share in ACL, and indeed are still challenging them via the courts. On that basis why should ACL stand still - they've got a business to run.

skyblue1991

Surely people should protest against this and stop it from happening? Nobody outraged against a Team being moved away from it's home or anything?

Yep.

Which is why I wouldn't watch a Wasps game there and on a lesser scale an ice hockey match at the SkyDome.

Nick

Administrator
How anybody can support ACL on this is unbelievable. What about our community asset?

What about our own Rugby Team losing out because of it?
What about the fact that London Wasps should be playing in London, the same as Coventry should be in Coventry?

I personally think it is a bluff though. ;)

MichaelCCFC

I had a really good night at Scunny (result apart) and it really felt like getting back to talking only about football, focusing on the match and being able to forget about all the off field stuff so this just has me raging - acl/sisu playing games and silly buggers with no concern for fans. How hard would it be for acl to say "after a difficult 16 months CCFC are again at the Ricoh which is in the best interests of acl, sisu and fans. Success for acl goes hand in hand with success for CCFC so we are happy to stage occasional games for Wasps and others but at this stage our focus is building a winning partnership with CCFC so we will politely decline any interest from other potential tenants/investors"

Nick

Administrator
I had a really good night at Scunny (result apart) and it really felt like getting back to talking only about football, focusing on the match and being able to forget about all the off field stuff so this just has me raging - acl/sisu playing games and silly buggers with no concern for fans. How hard would it be for acl to say "after a difficult 16 months CCFC are again at the Ricoh which is in the best interests of acl, sisu and fans. Success for acl goes hand in hand with success for CCFC so we are happy to stage occasional games for Wasps and others but at this stage our focus is building a winning partnership with CCFC so we will politely decline any interest from other potential tenants/investors"

I dare you to side with SISU or slag ACL off on your Facebook page :)

hill83

Get that t-shirt printer fired up.

Monners

I know you are being a sarcy so in so, but I think my post inferred this Nick - the fans don't matter, and it does "outrage" me. If Wasps fans wish to protest, then we ought to offer support, as it does affect us as well. But you never seemed to think that any form of protest was ever worthwhile ;) (adds Nick style wink in order to irritate!)

J

Jack Griffin

Maybe it will force SISU to offer a realistic price for the Arena, I can't see how they can just let this happen.
If it does there is nothing to stop another Football club playing at the Arena when Wasps are not using it.

Anyone with any common sense knows a new stadium for CCFC is a big risk, especially if the location isn't really close to the city centre, though perversely if the Arena isn't an option and Wasps are in it then fans are more likely to accept a new stadium!

It is all a right mess & SISU are at the root cause of it. They may well single handedly destroy (or at least hamstring for good) a tradition that goes back to 1883 in pursuit of their pound of flesh. If they'd have offered a realistic price in the first place, then all of this unpleasantness could have been avoided.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otis

To be fair to them Torch, that was aimed directly at Sisu. Think it has always been apparent that they would sell. It's just Sisu they have the problem with unfortunately.

fernandopartridge

There is outside the capital but within London's traditional commuter belt (Reading, Watford, Wycombe) and there is 90 miles away in the Midlands

Users who are viewing this thread