West Ham rent...discuss... (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

99*£2.5M = £247.5M if inflation runs at just a few % then £2.5M will look like peanuts in 25 years.

Its a mega bargain considering the Emirates cost £390M.

SkyBlueZack

Depends how much they get for naming rights. We got 10 million in the championship and we're not as big a name as West Ham either. Anything over 4m is split between the club and body that runs the stadium. So for examle if they get 34m for a 10 year deal. The body gets 19m with West Ham getting 15m, which immeadiately pays their 15m investment back. Not bad going. The other details have not been revealed with regard to F & B and any other events have they? So difficult to judge anything else.

SkyBlueZack

Oh and the 19m the body receive is a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of converting the stadium for football. Again not bad going.

Grendel

It is a free stadium when you consider naming rights and also I'm sure they get earnings from other events.

This isn't actually costing them anything they will effectively being paid to be there.

Terry Gibson's perm

It is a free stadium when you consider naming rights and also I'm sure they get earnings from other events.

This isn't actually costing them anything they will effectively being paid to be there.

Plus they are selling Upton park and pocketing that cash it is a joke the tax payer has had their trousers taken down here.

Still no other sporting teams were looking for a ground in the London area were they:thinking about:

SkyBlueZack

Plus they are selling Upton park and pocketing that cash it is a joke the tax payer has had their trousers taken down here.

Still no other sporting teams were looking for a ground in the London area were they:thinking about:

There was no available sites in London. A business decision had to be made. No matter for tradition or fans. Nick Eastwood says so. Please do keep up ;)

Ashdown

The government had to do something with it and rest of the site though, I guess this is the best option for all concerned.

shy_tall_knight

The sale of Upton Park will also cover a lot if not all of their £15m investment. Also the local council won't be looking to West Ham to redevelop the area, has superb transport links for a London stadium, they've done really well out of the deal

Terry Gibson's perm

There was no available sites in London. A business decision had to be made. No matter for tradition or fans. Nick Eastwood says so. Please do keep up ;)

I do apologise they must have missed this little stadium in their massive search:whistle:

Terry Gibson's perm

The government had to do something with it and rest of the site though, I guess this is the best option for all concerned.

Never should have been built in the first place but that is a different story but then if no suitable owner could have been found should have been knocked down for housing as they are always banging on there isn't enough in London

fernandopartridge

After spending £540m on it originally, the government is spending a further £160m to ensure a super rich Premier League football club can pay there. Terrific value for money.

It will be used for athletics in July each year, what a terrific olympic legacy.

Covstu

Great deal for the club, not overly great for the public but what are the other options? Maybe it will come out in the wash that Spurs offered more and have a similar scenario to ours with deals being done behind close doors!

chiefdave

West Ham get a hell of a lot of things included in their rent as well. Most of the staffing costs for running and maintaining the stadium are included for example.

wingy

Ah the voice of reason!
Yeah right!
The article says 25 days a year, who's telling the truth.?
I think I'll stay out of this thread on the grounds of certain parallels and tripping up.
What is questionable is how much it originally cost and the huge fee for reconfiguration, huge sums.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah right!
I think I'll stay out of this thread on the grounds of certain parallels and tripping up.
What is questionable is how much it originally cost and the huge fee for reconfiguration, huge sums.

Ah sorry, misread it then! I assumed it was 365 days, I am certainly not correct :)

Says here:

The club added: "Someone renting the stadium for 25 days a year cannot be responsible for 365 days' running costs."

fernandopartridge

Yeah right!

It's one of the construction cartel which builds most infrastructure in the UK, say no more.

Terry Gibson's perm

After spending £540m on it originally, the government is spending a further £160m to ensure a super rich Premier League football club can pay there. Terrific value for money.

It will be used for athletics in July each year, what a terrific olympic legacy.

Ah the old Olympic legacy that doesn't seem to get talked about anymore, when they were trying to justify the waste of money that the Olympics was that's all you ever heard now nothing.

wingy

Ithink there may have been some housing out of it and think the local Uni gained some student accommodation from it.
It's all fine it's London Centric

Ashdown

Well I think we all know hosting major world events can be a mugs game, just ask the Brazilians and look at some of the backlash for the millions they 'invested' { wasted } on World Cup and Olympic infrastructure. They are vanity projects for the organisers, very little else.

Terry Gibson's perm

Well I think we all know hosting major world events can be a mugs game, just ask the Brazilians and look at some of the backlash for the millions they 'invested' { wasted } on World Cup and Olympic infrastructure. They are vanity projects for the organisers, very little else.

What needs to happen is an Olympic land is built in Greece and all future events are held there I would say the same for the football but it would probably end up in Qatar forever.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Ithink there may have been some housing out of it and think the local Uni gained some student accommodation from it.
It's all fine it's London Centric

Wasn't "affordable" or social housing though was it......just ask all those who were moved to Stoke-on-Trent as part of the continuing social cleansing of London.....

still...fuck 'em....I give London another 10 years maximum before it all comes on top big time with a total breakdown of social & public services, major social unrest & riots that will make Toxteth & Brixton '81 look like a kiddies party.....

wingy

Wasn't "affordable" or social housing though was it......just ask all those who were moved to Stoke-on-Trent as part of the continuing social cleansing of London.....

still...fuck 'em....I give London another 10 years maximum before it all comes on top big time with a total breakdown of social & public services, major social unrest & riots that will make Toxteth & Brixton '81 look like a kiddies party.....
Well I don't know on that count but guess it would be the well heeled who came out on top with the housing.
Like your thinking and social commentary, just to add, I do see London becoming a Principality of sorts,a tax haven separate from the rest of us.

Edit:- Oh yeah on the Social Cleansing, if it was China the Beeb would be doing documentaries and high profile news bulletins on it.

Last edited:

Astute

Rent of 100k a day. What a fantastic bargain.

skybluetony176

Isn't it also 365 days a year rent? Not just matchday for 3-4 hours?

Quote from West Ham in the article:

The club added: "Someone renting the stadium for 25 days a year cannot be responsible for 365 days' running costs."

Doesn't sound like it.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

I can see this going the same way we did with the Ricoh. Especially if they get relegated and dont bounce straight back. Sounds like it's all built on staying in the premier league. What could possibly go wrong?

King of the Lesbians

I can see this going the same way we did with the Ricoh. Especially if they get relegated and dont bounce straight back. Sounds like it's all built on staying in the premier league. What could possibly go wrong?

It says the rent will be halved if they get relegated so they've given it a bit of thought...

Users who are viewing this thread