What an amazing turn around in cultural habits (1 Viewer)

Otis

In Iceland in 1998, 42% of 15-16 year olds said they got drunk and there was a real problem on Icelandic streets. Now, 20 years later that figure is just 5%.

Quite amazing and really refreshing to hear. Could such a thing work here too at all you reckon?

- How one country persuaded teens to give up drink and drugs

chiefdave

Could such a thing work here too at all you reckon
It could but it won't. When anything like this is discussed you always get the same response of people saying it happens everywhere there's nothing you can do about it. Without the will to change things nothing will happen.

Otis

Shame. What a complete turnaround from being the worst city in Europe to the best.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I believe there is already a marked decline in teenage drinking & smoking in the UK.......not sure about other drugs, but 2 out of 3 is a good start.....

shmmeee

I believe there is already a marked decline in teenage drinking & smoking in the UK.......not sure about other drugs, but 2 out of 3 is a good start.....

Yeah there is. Cannabis use started declining when Brown reclassified it in the 2000s, though there’s debate about the cause, teen pregnancy has been dropping for a while too.

Personally, I’d guess it’s down to a change in entertainment options for teenagers. Online games didn’t exist when I was a kid and today they all seem to sit in their room and play with each other remotely rather than running about the streets bored like I did. So I’m guessing Xbox Live saved the youth.

clint van damme

Yeah there is. Cannabis use started declining when Brown reclassified it in the 2000s, though there’s debate about the cause, teen pregnancy has been dropping for a while too.

Personally, I’d guess it’s down to a change in entertainment options for teenagers. Online games didn’t exist when I was a kid and today they all seem to sit in their room and play with each other remotely rather than running about the streets bored like I did. So I’m guessing Xbox Live saved the youth.

isn't there a growing issue within the older generations with regard to drink and drugs?
Maybe the youth are just looking at the state of their parents and thinking fuck that for a lark.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Don't know much about modern gaming but I know the old skool games had a bigger influence than I first thought.....I loved Pac-Man when I was kid in the early 1980s.....some energetic happy geezer running about in a darkened room chasing ghosts & munching big pills whilst listening to electronic repetitive beats......its hardly any wonder what I got up to from 1988 - 1995.:emoji_sunglasses:

jimmyhillsfanclub

isn't there a growing issue within the older generations with regard to drink and drugs?
Maybe the youth are just looking at the state of their parents and thinking fuck that for a lark.

Defo a factor I reckon.....as is cost.

Also.....Social Media has an impact........thank fuck the highs & lows of my youth & wilderness years are not available to view & share anytime and forever......

Also, how can it be cool or rebellious if yer dads (or mums) done it all already.......

Captain Dart

Till they emerge from that room with a bottle of acid in hand ...

Gazolba

Anything can be achieved if there is the political will to achieve it.
Unfortunately, there are much bigger things going on politically.
Personally, I don't see the attraction in getting drunk.
I've only done it once in my life when I was young and egged on by other people.
It did not feel good and I was sick as a dog the next morning.
I swore I would never do it again, and in 40 years I haven't.
I still enjoy the occasional glass of wine or cider.

Otis

I think I only ever got drunk twice. Once when I was 16 and then once on my birthday when I was about 30. Felt absolutely awful all day the next day, on both occasions and have never ever been drunk again since.

Never want to feel that shitty again.

clint van damme

I think I only ever got drunk twice. Once when I was 16 and then once on my birthday when I was about 30. Felt absolutely awful all day the next day, on both occasions and have never ever been drunk again since.

Never want to feel that shitty again.

Blouse!
If I had a pound for every timer I said I'd never drink again I'd have enough money to go out and get absolutely rat arsed.

Otis

Blouse!
If I had a pound for every timer I said I'd never drink again I'd have enough money to go out and get absolutely rat arsed.
I said I would never get drunk again and never have. Didn't find it a problem at all to stop to be honest.

Otis

do you drink at all?
No. Not for more than 20 years. Was never, ever a drinker though. If I had beer, two pints would be my limit. I used to like brandy and lemonade, but would have 4 tops when I went out. As soon as I felt a little woozy I would stop and switch to soft drinks.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

No. Not for more than 20 years. Was never, ever a drinker though. If I had beer, two pints would be my limit. I used to like brandy and lemonade, but would have 4 tops when I went out. As soon as I felt a little woozy I would stop and switch to soft drinks.
After 20 years you must be very thirsty Otis. I'm with you all the way. Probably have on average 5 pints a year, for the last 30 years. But tea.....I can drink anyone under the table.

Users who are viewing this thread