Why do you support coventry city football club. (1 Viewer)

Ginny74

I have posted a few times on here that the reason people support coventry city football club is because it is based in coventry and we are supporting our local team. My point being as soon as it moves from coventry it takes away the reason why most people support the team.
There have been a number of replies that there are other reasons why people support coventry others than the fact that it is based in the city. This got me thinking as to what those reasons could be? Understand that parents play a part in influencing your decision on what football team you support, so although you personally may never have been to coventry you support the team because your parents do, but would bet the reason your parents support the team is because they have a connection with the city, so the chain always starts with the city.
Maybe I am wrong and CCfc attracts worldwide support for other reasons? Maybe people like the colour of kit? Maybe people love Ricoh appliances so much the support CCfc because they are the name of the stadium? Maybe people saw Keith houchens's diving header in1987 and thought that's the team for me. So please prove me wrong and let me know what reasons people have for supporting CCfc that have nothing to do with the city and community it is based in.

wingy

without a doubt its connected to Locality ,most likely through Paternal introduction in 95% of cases.

sky_blue_up_north

Because my granddad took me to my first game in 1962, because my Dad got me a season ticket in 1964, because I'm a Cov Kid though and though, just like my Dad and Granddad to. Tradition, Coventry is my my birth place, my club, nothing else matters.

chorlton

I'm one of the odd ones that has never lived in Coventry and yet am still a huge fan. In fact I've begun the process of indoctrinating my two young sons who will be Sky Blue even though they, like their father, were born and bred elsewhere.

The simple reason is that Cov was the first place my Dad lived when he moved down from Scotland and he started supporting his local team at a time when they were truly on the up. With his death I have wondered about letting my boys make up their own minds and not 'forcing' them to follow the City. However, I can't bring myself to even think of taking them to Forest!

Like most folks following a football club has emotional links beyond just watching 11 men kick a ball about. It's that which would be hardest to break. Funnily enough it occurred to me yesterday that this season was the first for 33 years that I've not been to a home game all season.

Delboycov

Sorry I can't help you find the answers you're looking for but I support Coventry City because there was never any alternative coming from Coventry....I never had a choice...there was no dilemma...no soul searching...no 'eyeing up' glory teams. It wasn't even as if my late dad was bothered who I supported. He did go in the 60's when JH's Sky Blue revolution was at it's peak and would often tell me tales of the crowd at the Wolves game, the stamping of feet and banging the stands when Dave Clark 5's 'Bit's and pieces' was played but he'd long since fallen out of love with the game by the time I was old enough to notice Football. He was a very tough bloke...champion bodybuilder and doorman at Tiffany's in town and the sight of grown men kissing on the pitch after scoring used to totally disgust him! Thankfully 87 and all that restored his faith before he passed on. I was one of only a handful of CCFC fans in my primary school...everyone else 'supported' Liverpool; Keegan and Toshack being their heroes...Funnily enough though I do recall seeing quite a few of them at games on the road to Wembley and whenever we get a whiff of success. I guess they must've seen the error of their ways ;) Although as this is a CCFC fan board so isn't the place for asking it but I think a far more interesting and worthwile question would be: "If you're from Coventry and support another team then why is that?" No doubt in my mind that we as a club would not be in the shit we're in now and wouldn't have struggled almost constantly if the place wasn't full of 'glory hunting' tossers'!

wingy

I'm one of the odd ones that has never lived in Coventry and yet am still a huge fan. In fact I've begun the process of indoctrinating my two young sons who will be Sky Blue even though they, like their father, were born and bred elsewhere.

The simple reason is that Cov was the first place my Dad lived when he moved down from Scotland and he started supporting his local team at a time when they were truly on the up. With his death I have wondered about letting my boys make up their own minds and not 'forcing' them to follow the City. However, I can't bring myself to even think of taking them to Forest!

Like most folks following a football club has emotional links beyond just watching 11 men kick a ball about. It's that which would be hardest to break. Funnily enough it occurred to me yesterday that this season was the first for 33 years that I've not been to a home game all season.

Just out of curiosity ,what prompted that in your last line ,or was it just down to circumstances.

ccfcway

got to, born in cov...

to me, its like asking "why do you have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs?"

Im stuck with them

TheHellion

Both my Grandads support the City. My Step-dad and my real Dad both supported the City, so I grew up in an environment that was dominated by City. As far as I was concerned, there was no other choice. It had to be City. My local team and my family team.

Last edited:

SkyBlueSwiss

Football, like religion, depends to a great extent on where and in which community you were born into and raised in.
If you were born in Saudi Arabia, it is almost certain that you would be a Muslim.
If you were born in Austria, it is almost certain that you would be a Roman Catholic.
If you were born in Coventry in recent years, it is almost certain you would be a Man Utd. supporter. Kidding! You know what I mean.

StevieM

It's simple really isn't it, born in Coventry go to watch the City with Dad when little, want to play for City, can't so do the next best thing-still go for every ball or header, but from the terraces instead.
If I was from Nuneaton then I guess the story would be the same except for supporting the Boro.
It's tribal .. thats what I tell my missus but she just don't get it how a football team can hurt a grown man and influence their mood and demeanor week in week out.
I always say that I have no choice, I'm in too deep now, ffs I've been Sky Blue for 50 years thats an equivalent to a double life sentence, and that is what these faceless bastards who are ripping the heart out of OUR club need to realise.

ajsccfc

Purely location-based for me. No previous history of support in the family due to being basically the first English generation on either side of the family.

I started supporting City cus they were my local team and cus all my family on my dads side were Cov fans (My Mum's side are Leicester fans :/), but now its become a passion for me. I love this club, its fans, everything about it. If the team leaves Coventry, i wont be able to go to every home game anymore as im 17 and have no job or car, but i'll go to as many games as i can cus i love this club. I doubt im alone on this

dongonzalos

I agree you support coventry because that is where you or your heritage is from.

Coventry moves to another City or Town not in the confines of Coventry and Warwickshire then that is no longer the case.

derbyskyblue

Because i'm a cov kid, because my dad told me stories of the "old five", because my dad told me stories of george hudson, because my dad told of the jimmy hill era, because of my dad. R I P dad x

covboy1987

Because i'm a cov kid, because my dad told me stories of the "old five", because my dad told me stories of george hudson, because my dad told of the jimmy hill era, because of my dad. R I P dad x

Good thread and one that SISU do not understand or have underestimated.Think it is time to collect names of all the fans particulary season ticket holders and regular followers (last season) that will not follow the team once it leaves the boundries as i feel SISU would be in for a shock and may think again with the long list

Colin1883

My elder brother took me to my first game in 71.
We were in what I later learnt was the West end it was packed being only 7 I'd never seen so many people , my brother sat me on his shoulders so I could see what was going on , I was frightened and excited at the same time, the smell the noise, I loved it, I was hooked ...

blueflint

i was born king richards st 100 yds from entrance have supported city man and boy

CovMatt1987

A majority of Coventry fans will be so because they were born here I would suspect. once you become a fan of the club, you dont stop because they may play some of their games outside of the city for a little while.

Covcraig@bury

Because I was born within the three spires which is Coventry . And I'm loyal to the core. Could never change and never will.

Delboycov

A majority of Coventry fans will be so because they were born here I would suspect. once you become a fan of the club, you dont stop because they may play some of their games outside of the city for a little while.

In my case I will stop if those games are played outside my city for any great length of time especially if it's whilst waiting for a ground to be built outside said city. I've said it before the reason I support Coventry City is because of the Coventry bit in the name. It would never be the same for me if we did move long term and in fairness I haven't heard anyone saying they would no longer support the club if we moved for "a few games". I think if the owners think they can move us and the majority will just blindly follow wherever we play then they are underestimating the huge emotional affinity we have with our city.

itsvangool

Took my son to see his first game on Saturday. My local non league team have just won promotion to the Conference Premier as champions. He saw trophy presented, lap of honour and went on the pitch afterwards....I told him to savour it because if he's following in my sky blue boots he won't see many more.....

Samo

I have posted a few times on here that the reason people support coventry city football club is because it is based in coventry and we are supporting our local team. My point being as soon as it moves from coventry it takes away the reason why most people support the team.
There have been a number of replies that there are other reasons why people support coventry others than the fact that it is based in the city. This got me thinking as to what those reasons could be? Understand that parents play a part in influencing your decision on what football team you support, so although you personally may never have been to coventry you support the team because your parents do, but would bet the reason your parents support the team is because they have a connection with the city, so the chain always starts with the city.
Maybe I am wrong and CCfc attracts worldwide support for other reasons? Maybe people like the colour of kit? Maybe people love Ricoh appliances so much the support CCfc because they are the name of the stadium? Maybe people saw Keith houchens's diving header in1987 and thought that's the team for me. So please prove me wrong and let me know what reasons people have for supporting CCfc that have nothing to do with the city and community it is based in.

I support CCFC because I have no choice. It's where I was born. Some say it's a shithole, well if it is, it's my shithole! Coventry is not everyone's cup of tea, they say it's rough, they say it's ugly, maybe it's both but it has Soul! I love it's history, I love it's attitude, I love Coventry. Some will call me an over-emotional fool and that's fine, maybe they have a point. I love the club too. I have no interest in supporting Man.Utd or Chelsea, where's the depth in that? Supporting CCFC is character building! It's real, it's harder and it means more! There will never, ever be any other club or city for me. PUSB.

Tonylinc

Same story as many I'm afraid. Born in the city and whilst have moved many times since to Yeovil, Norwich, Bournmouth and now Scunny would never dream of supporting any other team. I will not however support them at a venue outside Coventry. If that ever happens then it will no longer be Coventry City to me and in a way it will be a relieve from all the crap that is going on!

ohitsaidwalker king power

Because my grandad did, my father did, and because I do- my son does.....what other reason is there?
We'll be here long after the present incumbents have gone.

:blue:

Tonylinc

My son does too. He was however given a choice......you can support CCFC or any other club BUT if it is any other club then you live in the garden shed. That was fair was it not?

covmark

Was born in cov, moved away when I was 9 years old, but I'm proud of my roots and always will be. Had a conversation with a couple of young lads at work in Brighton, they were talking about their teams Tottenham and chelsea, they asked me who I support, I said Coventry city, their reply was Coventry hahaha snigger snigger. I said laugh all you want boys there's nothing like supporting your home team it means a whole lot more than supporting a team you have no connection with

Tonylinc

Was born in cov, moved away when I was 9 years old, but I'm proud of my roots and always will be. Had a conversation with a couple of young lads at work in Brighton, they were talking about their teams Tottenham and chelsea, they asked me who I support, I said Coventry city, their reply was Coventry hahaha snigger snigger. I said laugh all you want boys there's nothing like supporting your home team it means a whole lot more than supporting a team you have no connection with
Well said mate. Hate these" glory supporters".

Users who are viewing this thread