Windows 7 & wireless (1 Viewer)

redsox

Facebook User
Does anybody have any idea why my wireless connection is intermittent & yet my wired connection is fine. Is it me doing something daft? Has anybody else had similar issues?

Nick

Administrator
How far are you from the router?
Do you have anything else Wireless nearby that could interfere?
You could try changing the channel that wireless is running on to see if that fixes it.

redsox

Facebook User
My router is next door but in the centre of the room. This is the third or fourth place I've tried it in and is the best so far but if I was relying on it exlusively I'd be in trouble. I've also tried changing the channels and it seems to make little odds. The weird thing is my signal strength & link strength are 100% and yet at the moment on my wireless connection I have no internet access and when I started typing this message I did. Confused?? me too!!

Nick

Administrator
Have you tried a different laptop? That could rule out it being your laptop if that works fine?

I used to have this issue on my Windows 7 machine, I have since reformatted and run all of the Windows Updates and it has gone.

You could try this guide too!

redsox

Facebook User
Thanks for the help Nick, I tried the guide and it didn't alter anything. I don't have access to a laptop at present so can't try that at present. All my windows updates are up to date etc. My network adapter( USB type) appears to have turned itself off for no particular reason and being a computer simpleton ( if only it were JUST computer simpleton ha ha) I am unsure whether it is a symptom or a cause

redsox

Facebook User
Yup, sorry I didn't mention it sooner. Please refer to my earlier simpleton comment. Does that make a difference??

Nick

Administrator
I don't like them :( They never seem to work!

Have you tried it in a different port? Try the USB Adapter in your wired PC and see if it happens there!

redsox

Facebook User
should I get an internal one? I understood both were alright. Has this been my problem all along? I know that I need to make sure it is 'n' enabled but is there anything else I should look out for? any reccomendations? (don't wan't much do I?)

redsox

Facebook User
I should point out that I have one desktop pc which is connected wired & wirelessly to one router.

Nick

Administrator
I should point out that I have one desktop pc which is connected wired & wirelessly to one router.

Try installing the USB Wireless Adapter on the Desktop and unplugging the Cat5 cable. This way if it is dodgy on that PC by making it wireless it is the USB Adapter, if it works fine it is something on the laptop!

redsox

Facebook User
Once again Nick thanks for your time and effort. As we speak the wireless connection has been stable for 18 hrs or more , this might be coincidental but I'm more than willing to give credit where it's due and put it down to one of the many fine tips that you offered, If it occurs again I am going to leave civilization and live a life free of technology in a cave in North Wales. ;)

Coventry La La La

Once again Nick thanks for your time and effort. As we speak the wireless connection has been stable for 18 hrs or more , this might be coincidental but I'm more than willing to give credit where it's due and put it down to one of the many fine tips that you offered, If it occurs again I am going to leave civilization and live a life free of technology in a cave in North Wales. ;)

Say hi to Chris Coleman for me when you arrive at the cave :wave:

redsox

Facebook User
Ha ha very good. But I think he's living in a derelict caravan in Mold.:)

Disorganised1

USB routers can be a bit sensitive, especially if they're in a slow port - make sure you're in a fast one, and not in a shared hub.

Also what level router is it ? It sounds likeone of the old ones, which, frankly did drop out every time you went into sleep mode.

redsox

Facebook User
USB routers can be a bit sensitive, especially if they're in a slow port - make sure you're in a fast one, and not in a shared hub.

Also what level router is it ? It sounds likeone of the old ones, which, frankly did drop out every time you went into sleep mode
I have upgraded to 'n' level router , what you say about the USB ports does ring true though. I think all my ports are slow mind you. State of the art it is not!!:(

redsox

Facebook User

Also what level router is it ? It sounds likeone of the old ones, which, frankly did drop out every time you went into sleep mode

I have upgraded to 'n' level router , what you say about the USB ports does ring true though. I think all my ports are slow mind you. State of the art it is not!!:(

It's talk talk's latest router a huawei or something else that sounds like the noise I used to make after a night on the beer!! :D

Shake_and_McPake

Facebook User
Just saw this, did you do a clean installation for Windows 7? For those who don't know, did you wipe the hard drive to install Windows 7? If so i'm pretty sure I can solve this :)

Oh, i'm an IT Professional by the way so I maybe should've been here sooner...but hey, we'll fix it now right?

redsox

Facebook User
Just saw this, did you do a clean installation for Windows 7? For those who don't know, did you wipe the hard drive to install Windows 7? If so i'm pretty sure I can solve this :)

Oh, i'm an IT Professional by the way so I maybe should've been here sooner...but hey, we'll fix it now right?

sorry I didn't get back sooner ,and thanks for the offer of help. Something I have done recently seems to have solved this situation. I have changed the password from AES to TKIP and the wireless connection seems a whole lot more stable. Please understand I am only guessing this might have been the solution. :)

redsox

Facebook User
The current situation is that for the majority of the time my wireless connection is fine and only now seems to drop out when the computer has been on for a while (12 hrs or more). More often than not it re-connects when I re-enter the password or at worst when I re-boot. The computer was bought reconditioned with windows 7 installed , so I can't truthfully answer your earlier question.

Users who are viewing this thread