Wolves planning upping bid for Leon (1 Viewer)

runner

And then get Sigurdarson in exchange too ... anyone any idea if he's any good ?

runner

Prem wages .. mean he's prem quality or has potential ? Seems odd Wolves would release if he's any good ?

hill83

Shouldn't judge purely on goals and appearances, but they aren't great.

pusbccfc

Very good player. Would score in our team.

hill83

Good to hear, it will be difficult to replace Leon, but if this does happen I wish him luck.

runner

7 goals and 4 assists in 50+ appearences and this guy is a quality striker ? Bit confused, some of you above reckon he's good, so on what basis are you stating this ? On the grounds you feel Wolves are using him right and that Elvis will get more out of him ?

Noggin

If he is on good wages there is almost no chance of him agreeing a deal, why would you take a massive paycut to come here? That said if this is the deal they are going with, that probably means it will fall through increaseing the chance of us keeping leon but him not concidering it the clubs fault. That would hopefully mean he gives his all till the summer to attract more buyers. so good news

mattylad

they once paid 2.4m for him so I just cant see them letting him go as a make weight

Sterling Archer

7 goals and 4 assists in 50+ appearances may have some influence as to why they may consider releasing him...

I wish people would look at Leon Clarke and David McGoldricks records prior to joining us and then stop with this nonsense every time we are linked with a striker who hasn't scored 123 goals in 32 appearances.

Warwickhunt

they once paid 2.4m for him so I just cant see them letting him go as a make weight
Exactly why they are letting him go because they paid an over inflated price for him because they were in the Premiership, if they were to sign him today they would only bid £500k at best.

Sterling Archer

So we could be getting a £500k striker AND cash for an unsettled Leon Clarke whilst in League One. Sounds like a potentially good deal to me.

covcity4life

So we could be getting a £500k striker AND cash for an unsettled Leon Clarke whilst in League One. Sounds like a potentially good deal to me.

SISUE will settle for mars bar and a packet of crisps no doubt

why did they sell mcgoaldrought?!

i just wanna be angry!!!!!

fernandopartridge

I wish people would look at Leon Clarke and David McGoldricks records prior to joining us and then stop with this nonsense every time we are linked with a striker who hasn't scored 123 goals in 32 appearances.

64 in 245 games or something like that was Clarke's record, most of the goals coming at a League 1 level.

Sterling Archer

64 in 245 games or something like that was Clarke's record, most of the goals coming at a League 1 level.

Well that settles it. lets never sign anyone, ever as they won't be as good as Leon Clarke.

I remember when we did sign Leon Clarke to replace McGoldrick and a large majority of posters on SBT went bat shit mental that we'd signed some journeyman who had accumulated 1000's of clubs, all of which who wanted rid of him asap and he'd only ever had one or two good loan spells in a career littered with mediocrity.

I even remember a thread on here calling for him to be dropped and labelling lazy when he hadn't scored in 3 consecutive games last season.

Sterling Archer

Personally think it's stranger Wolves want Clarke, ok, he is the league's top goal scorer, but his track record at Championship level isn't great, he's 29, so he will start to decline in a couple of years, that's without taking Wolves' strength in that position Griffiths, Cassidy, Doyle and Sigurdarson. I would be very sad to see Leon Clarke go, but if we got cash, and a young player in Sigurdarson I think we would've done quite well.

Spot on, I know quite a lot of Wolves unfortunately and none of them want Leon back despite him being the leagues top goal scorer purely for the fact that:
a) They're already quite clearly going to get promoted
b) They have a zillion strikers at the moment who they feel are adequate enough to help them get promotion this season
c) Clarke's record in the Championship
d) Clarke's record at Wolves

I really hope we can keep hold of Leon Clarke and that he has a change of heart and actually wants to stay but football is football and this scenario is unlikely and probably naive of me to think of as an actual possibility. Next best scenario is money plus another striker on the level of Sigurdson or Griffiths. No thanks to Doyle though, astronomical wages and his ability and confidence is shot to pieces apparently.

Lorksalordy

Wasn't suggesting that this meant we should not look at bringing him in but more addressing the original question as to why Wolves would be considering releasing him. For whatever reason he has not set the world alight there. Also, didn't Leon come to us straight after a fairly prolific loan spell at Scunthorpe ?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Personally think it's stranger Wolves want Clarke, ok, he is the league's top goal scorer, but his track record at Championship level isn't great, he's 29, so he will start to decline in a couple of years, that's without taking Wolves' strength in that position Griffiths, Cassidy, Doyle and Sigurdarson. I would be very sad to see Leon Clarke go, but if we got cash, and a young player in Sigurdarson I think we would've done quite well.

I suppose having a manger like Pressley will definitely allow us to have a greater chance of keeping our best players because he's in a position where he could leave and find probably a better job if the board mess him around.

They are shitting themselves at missing out on automatic so are getting desperate.

If he goes to Wolves I'll predict this, he will score about 10-12 goals and help them to get them automatic promotion. Next season he will struggle to get in the side and by next January he will be shipped out and end up at another L1 club.

I'm still not convinced he will go to Wolves, the deal just doesn't make sense from their side. A player an cash for a player who will only be useful to them for 6 months and who will probably have no resale value in 18-24 months time.

if we get Sigurdson + cash it could turn out to be great business for the club. Sigurdson is still only 22 so if he does well for us, he could have a massive sell on value for us.

The Gentleman

They are shitting themselves at missing out on automatic so are getting desperate.

If he goes to Wolves I'll predict this, he will score about 10-12 goals and help them to get them automatic promotion. Next season he will struggle to get in the side and by next January he will be shipped out and end up at another L1 club.

I'm still not convinced he will go to Wolves, the deal just doesn't make sense from their side. A player an cash for a player who will only be useful to them for 6 months and who will probably have no resale value in 18-24 months time.

if we get Sigurdson + cash it could turn out to be great business for the club. Sigurdson is still only 22 so if he does well for us, he could have a massive sell on value for us.

It makes sense if they get definite promotion. If the whole Leon deal costs £2 million with fees, wages and Sigurdson. The £5 million they will get for being in the championship will more than balance the books. If they ship him out on loan next season they will also get rid of at least 50% of his wages so to me makes sense for Wolves to have him.

mrtickle

Cracks me up. Not putting a bid in before arsenal game so they don't unsettle him.

You've up settled him already and this potential bid will unsettle him more you a holes!!!

Will we see another Dublin strike incident.

ricohman

You's are all getting ahead of yourselves here, wolves arnt yet promoted, and there's no guarantee that they will. They could still be league 1 team nxt season

cloughie

I suppose having a manger like Pressley will definitely allow us to have a greater chance of keeping our best players because he's in a position where he could leave and find probably a better job if the board mess him around.

Good to see you back and with a grown up post, no offence meant
:D

percy

I can see this happening. I cant see Sigurdarson wanting to come here permanently. Loan deal could suit him.

exactly. keeps everybody happy. our star player leaves and gets his big move, they get their main man and we get a half decent striker as a replacement plus a few bob!!!

ccfc92

I just don't understand why wolves will want him?

When they get promoted, then what? He won't cut it in the Championship IMO

Users who are viewing this thread