World Cup 1966 (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I was a football mad 12 year old when England won the World Cup in 66,but can remember vividly watching the final on the telly with my family. I can recall it all as if it was a few years back and not a half century ago. We talked about certain sporting events in the pub recently that have stayed in the memory and there were some great occasions mentioned. Anymore suggestions ?

covmark

Super Saturday at the 2012 Olympics. Watching that on TV made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Being in the stadium would have been amazing I imagine.

I'm too young for the 66 world cup, so football wise it would probably be the 5-1 in Germany, couldn't believe what I was seeing, and of course the 87 cup final goes without saying.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

skybluesam66

Apart from 87 - West ham semi final is probably my best ccfc memory
Other sports/teams I dont have the same passion for, but 3 of the biggest for me

Coe v Ovett period was amazing - breaking world records at will
Bothams Ashes
1985 ryder cup at the belfry

jimmyhillsfanclub

Watching THAT Brazil team of 1982 in the world cup was pretty special when I was a kid....amazing team that opened my eyes to a different type of football.

Bothams Ashes.

The Superfight: Marvin Hagler v Sugar Ray Leonard.

1987 was not just a fantastic year for CCFC, but it was also the year that Stephen Roche gave possibly the most inspirational & brave effort ever on a bike to win the Tour De france......a gripping TDF from start to finish....a final mountain stage that saw Roche haul in Delgardo before collapsing & requiring Oxygen at the finish......I've been hooked on cycling ever since!

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

Best CCFC memory has to be 1987 final. Last game at Highfield rd was also special and poignant.

I do remember 1966 but as I was only 8 not all is that clear. 1970 in Mexico has my best non CCFC football memories. My uncle went and brought me a number of programmes etc. On TVs watching Brazil in the final playing with a style I couldn't believe. But top is the save by banks from Pele. Still can't believe he got there and for me the best save ever.

Best non football...watching world speedway final at Wembley in I think 1980 or 81...never at time thought I would go there with the city.
Also botham and Willis at the ashes at headingley. Pure drama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Some cracking memories chosen.A chap in the pub is a boxing fan like me and he recalled the punch by Henry Cooper that dropped Cassius Clay, and I too watched that fight. The Benn v Eubank fights were epic encounters that are etched firmly in the mind.

ajsccfc

Germany slaughtering Brazil at the World Cup two years ago is one of those that I Google every now and then just to remind myself it actually happened. Michael Johnson and Usain Bolt setting their world records at various Olympics always stayed with me too, plus turning over to the rugby a few seconds before Wilkinson scored that winner. A personal favourite was Super Bowl 48 also.

Super Saturday at the 2012 Olympics. Watching that on TV made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Being in the stadium would have been amazing I imagine.

Watched a bit of that in a square in Manchester, Jessica Ennis' last event. When she just turned on the turbo and accelerated home it was electric.

The Irish girl winning the boxing gold medal was amazing too, what a crowd.

covmark

Some cracking memories chosen.A chap in the pub is a boxing fan like me and he recalled the punch by Henry Cooper that dropped Cassius Clay, and I too watched that fight. The Benn v Eubank fights were epic encounters that are etched firmly in the mind.
Ahh the days when you didn't have to pay £15 to watch a big fight. Those were the days, Big Fight live on Itv, brilliant.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Watching the conclusion of the Edgbaston 2005 Ashes Test is up there....Richie Benauds commentary "JONES!.......BOWDEN!...."
On that final wicket is fantastic!

Gazolba

I was a football mad 12 year old when England won the World Cup in 66,but can remember vividly watching the final on the telly with my family. I can recall it all as if it was a few years back and not a half century ago. We talked about certain sporting events in the pub recently that have stayed in the memory and there were some great occasions mentioned. Anymore suggestions ?

I remember the 1966 World Cup not only because we won but also, for the occasion, my father (who hated to spend money) splashed out on a colour TV so we could watch it in colour. That was hi-tech in those days when black and white TVs were still commonplace and push-button phones were still a distant future development.
Another unforgettable moment was when we beat Wolves to win the second division championship and move to the top flight for the first time.

Nick

Administrator
I remember England beating Germany 5-0 and being in a pub to watch it, it was mental. Tables flying, beers flying all sorts.

Gazolba

I remember England beating Germany 5-0 and being in a pub to watch it, it was mental. Tables flying, beers flying all sorts.
Wasn't it 5-1?

Nick

Administrator
Wasn't it 5-1?

ha, it was actually! That's how much I remember...

I couldn't really remember any of the goals either I don't think without re-watching, just the madness of the pub.

Too young to really remember 87.

Johnnythespider

I was 2 in 66 so a bit early for me one of the fights I remember was Ali v Foreman and the rumble in the jungle, Ali doing rope a dope for 6 and a half rounds before knocking an exhausted Foreman out. It's one of the memories I have of my dad, who always ended up sat on the edge of his seat ducking and diving when a big fight was on tv.

CJ_covblaze

Was in the maternity ward at Walsgrave when that was happening. Kept trying to watch online! My son was born at 1.51 the next morning.

Seeing the Blaze winning the Grand Slam in 2005 by beating the Panthers in Nottingham in the play off final. Also watching us beat Red Bull Salzburg (arguably the best team in Europe at the time) despite being 2-0 down with only a couple of minutes to go in the european cup in Denmark in 07 take some beating.

With City it has to be either winning at Old Trafford, the last game at Highfields Rd or the wins at the old place against United, Villa and Arsenal.

On TV I'd go for either Golden Saturday, the 05 Ashes, World Cup Final in 03 or Wiggins in yellow leading out Cavendish to win in Paris in 2012.

covmark

Good shout for the world cup 03. Another unforgettable moment when Wilkinson hit that drop goal to beat the Aussie's in their own world cup final.

Think I'm going to have to have a little YouTube evening to reminisce. Some amazing moments on this thread.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Yeah the England v Germany 5-1 game , Republic of Ireland beating Holland to get in the play offs ( Irish parents so keep an eye for their games)
England beating Holland in Euro 96 say what you want about him but Gazza was sublime in that game and for most of the tournament just wish he was maybe 2 inches taller
Beating villa at villa park in 98&99
The last day at highfield road
My first ever season ticket 97/98 as we beat Chelsea 3-2 Dion got a Hatrick landed from Spain the night before from my first lads holiday I was 20 and mortgages, marriage and kids were a long way away
And it was a great season.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Daz

Forgot about beckham v Greece in 2001
I watched it in the pilot then walked up to the shepherd it was ransacked

CJ_covblaze

Forgot the England wins in Berlin a few weeks ago and at Celtic Park in 2014. Both fulfilled lifelong ambitions!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Travelled to Scotland 3 times to watch Celtic twice at Celtic park and once at hampden
Won one
Drew one
Lost one
Both beautiful stadiums though

bringbackrattles

Some great trips down memory lane to my thread. Thanks for reminding me as I can use some in the pub next time we have a memory debate !

CJ_covblaze

Some great trips down memory lane to my thread. Thanks for reminding me as I can use some in the pub next time we have a memory debate !

Will you remember to do it?

oscillatewildly

Cov Sphinx v Bedworth Utd at Sphinx drive, FA cup qualifying Rd about 2006/07. When the Greenbacks scored and fans partially demolished a brick wall in the stand and of course the gorilla going on an aborted celebratory lap of honour.

Users who are viewing this thread