World Rugby bans trans females from the women's game (2 Viewers)

Evo1883

I think it's the correct decision to protect the women's game, a thing I didn't actually realise... An inactive man of no athletic ability on average still has much greater grip strength than a female world championship level judo athlete..
Away from the emotional argument, more should be done to protect women's sport across the board

Skyblueweeman

I think it's the correct decision to protect the women's game, a thing I didn't actually realise... An inactive man of no athletic ability on average still has much greater grip strength than a female world championship level judo athlete..
Away from the emotional argument, more should be done to protect women's sport across the board

Is that a fact about the grip - like scientifically proven or just your assumption?

No dig at all, just genuinely intrigued if it's true or not.

Evo1883

Is that a fact about the grip - like scientifically proven or just your assumption?

I was listening to some sports science lady on sky sports news this morning when they discussed it, so I heard it off her, like I said I didn't realise this was true

Evo1883

This is from the national library of medicine

Hand-grip strength was linearly correlated with LBM. Furthermore, both relative hand-grip strength parameters (F (max)/body weight and F (max)/LBM) did not show any correlation to hand dimensions. The present findings show that the differences in hand-grip strength of men and women are larger than previously reported. An appreciable difference still remains when using lean body mass as reference. The results of female national elite athletes even indicate that the strength level attainable by extremely high training will rarely surpass the 50th percentile of untrained or not specifically trained men.

Evo1883

This comes by the way, with the news that women in Rugby will be 20-30% more likely to become seriously injured if trans women (is that correct) are involved

Protect women's sport, simple as that

Nick

Administrator
I want to see trans women in boxing.

Imagine somebody like Dillian Whyte becoming Trans and then getting in the ring.

Might get messy.

pastythegreat

Imagine somebody like Dillian Whyte becoming Trans and then getting in the ring.

Might get messy.
Cant stand Katie Taylor, is it wrong that I'd love to see him as a bird smash her in the face???

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Might get messy.

Fallon Fox in MMA is trans.

Lots of evidence that high testosterone levels at puberty give a permanent advantage in lots of areas. With other physiological differences like running gait entirely unchanged.

This will probably mean intersex athletes like Casta Semenya (sp?) get banned from women’s sports but TBH that’s probably fair. Some DSDs like CAIS confer a significant sporting advantage and apparently are massively overrepresented in women’s sport.

Marty

Men are bigger, faster, stronger, more aggressive, more violent, etc. Having men and women compete in the same event because a man suddenly decides they're a women is frankly stupid.

shmmeee

The other side of this of course is trans men, who because they’re actually women and misogyny exists are forgotten in this, should be allowed to play in the men’s league but would probably be massively underrepresented.

Seems a Paralympic situation is needed for trans and DSD athletes.

Travs

I don't pretend to know the moral or scientific ins and outs of this... and frankly i don't really care... but i think the only reasonable way to look at this, is that if you decide to change sex then unfortunately elite sport is no longer going to be open to you as a career choice.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Men are bigger, faster, stronger, more aggressive, more violent, etc. Having men and women compete in the same event because a man suddenly decides they're a women is frankly stupid.

As a general rule yes but by no means a steadfast rule. Plenty of women who're far more aggressive and violent than a lot of men who would be perceived socially as 'meek'. Women like Cleopatra, Boudica and Empress Wu of China were absolute nutcases you really wouldn't want to cross. There was an African queen who had a harem of men and would force them to fight to the death to spend the night with her. Then the winner would be killed the following morning. Plenty of women who're more athletic, faster, stronger than their male siblings.

shmmeee

As a general rule yes but by no means a steadfast rule. Plenty of women who're far more aggressive and violent than a lot of men who would be perceived socially as 'meek'. Women like Cleopatra, Boudica and Empress Wu of China were absolute nutcases you really wouldn't want to cross. There was an African queen who had a harem of men and would force them to fight to the death to spend the night with her. Then the winner would be killed the following morning. Plenty of women who're more athletic, faster, stronger than their male siblings.

You're talking outliers here. Given the same training men will always be faster and stronger than women. Most elite womens sports records are around the level of male school boys records.

Grendel

Thats just silly

Just look at Renee Richards as a real example

Evo1883

A team of FtM maybe? Don’t know much about swimming, what’s the advantage?

Swimming requires upper body strength and leg strength... I'd imagine even with the loss of strength that hormone replacement causes, it would still be an advantage, it's one of the arguments by world rugby, even after hormone treatment the strength is still too great

shmmeee

Trying to look at this logically:

Sex change/hormone use is a medical intervention to correct an illness (gender dysphoria). There are I believe other medical conditions treated by steroids or testosterone or other performance enhancing drugs. I assume athletes undergoing those treatments aren’t allowed to compete? Is that right?

Grendel

Swimming requires upper body strength and leg strength... I'd imagine even with the loss of strength that hormone replacement causes, it would still be an advantage, it's one of the arguments by world rugby, even after hormone treatment the strength is still too great

He didn’t say swimming to be fair

Evo1883

Sex change/hormone use is a medical intervention to correct an illness (gender dysphoria). There are I believe other medical conditions treated by steroids or testosterone or other performance enhancing drugs. I assume athletes undergoing those treatments aren’t allowed to compete? Is that right?

Unsure what classes as a performance enhancing drug that goes against sports rules myself

Evo1883

Messi for example was given growth hormones when he was younger.. So some things are obviously passed ok I just don't know what

D

Deleted member 4439

it was a misogynist quip - ftm - a female who transitions to male. Was thinking they'd still be more graceful :)

ccfcway

be fine in darts or snooker

Mucca Mad Boys

The issue regarding trans-participation is a dicey issue.

Some issues to consider:
- biological males have denser bones than females
- puberty increases the upper body strength in biological males (one study found the average female could throw a ball further than a male about 2 times in 1,000)
- as well as testosterone production, which influences things like muscle growth
- transitioning male to female use hormone therapy to complete their transition, and oestrogen actually increases bone density further

The interesting observation to make is that trans participation is only an ‘issue’ in women’s sports, because of notable trans athletes our competing against biological females at the very elite of sports, but not in the men’s divisions, yet.

My view is that trans athletes find themselves in a difficult place. The fairest solution would probably be divisions specially for transgender athletes so they get the recognition they deserve, but without the controversy.

Mucca Mad Boys

Testosterone levels are measured in contact sports, such as MMA.

I’m asthmatic, and even the levels of of the steroids in inhalers are measured in some sports testing. The most notable example I can recently think of is Froome’s test.

Athletes even need to be careful buying (legal) supplements such as protein powders, BCAAs, creatine and so on. This is because trace amounts of illegal substances can find their way into these types of products.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The issue regarding trans-participation is a dicey issue.

Some issues to consider:
- biological males have denser bones than females
- puberty increases the upper body strength in biological males (one study found the average female could throw a ball further than a male about 2 times in 1,000)
- as well as testosterone production, which influences things like muscle growth
- transitioning male to female use hormone therapy to complete their transition, and oestrogen actually increases bone density further

The interesting observation to make is that trans participation is only an ‘issue’ in women’s sports, because of notable trans athletes our competing against biological females at the very elite of sports, but not in the men’s divisions, yet.

My view is that trans athletes find themselves in a difficult place. The fairest solution would probably be divisions specially for transgender athletes so they get the recognition they deserve, but without the controversy.

I'm guessing with the transgender divisions you'd have to have one male to female and one female to male to allow for the biological differences.

Would there also be different levels like at the paralympics for those at different stages of transition?

Users who are viewing this thread