Would you be angry if it was your child? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Missskyblueteacher
  • Start date
M

Missskyblueteacher

I teach year 2 and don't let children go to the toilet during lesson time. One of the mums complained as I wouldn't let her daughter go yesterday afternoon. She asked on her way in from lunch. Would you be bothered by my policy?

M

Missskyblueteacher

6 or 7, it is not like they don't have playtime and lunchtime to go to the toilet, they should be able to hold it for a couple of hours.

M

Missskyblueteacher

Medical conditions obviously are an exception.

skybluegod

Think it’s a very old style way of teaching.
I volunteer at a primary school, in my spare time, as well as both my parents working at schools, including my mum being a headteacher, and all the teachers I know let the kids go to the toilet, they are kids, if it was senior school think you may have more of an argument, but not somebody at 6 years old.

M

Missskyblueteacher

Skybluegod

The girls and boys toilets are right next to my room so it is not as if they can't pop in on the way from break and lunch. I have to wait as a teacher too

Marty

Skybluegod

The girls and boys toilets are right next to my room so it is not as if they can't pop in on the way from break and lunch. I have to wait as a teacher too

You're an idiot! Are you trying to tell me you can't tell the difference between a fully grown adult and a 6 year old who hasn't got the first idea in life yet?

M

Missskyblueteacher

You're an idiot! Are you trying to tell me you can't tell the difference between a fully grown adult and a 6 year old who hasn't got the first idea in life yet?

They get more opputunities than me to go, as long as I remind them I don't see the harm.

Astute

If a kid of mine pissed themself in class because the teacher wouldn't let them go to the toilet there would be a very irate parent visiting the school.

M

Missskyblueteacher

Im 34 and if my boss told me I couldn't go to the loo besides breaktimes is quit.

That is different. If you let one child go they all need a wee.It is easier just to say no.

M

Missskyblueteacher

If a kid of mine pissed themself in class because the teacher wouldn't let them go to the toilet there would be a very irate parent visiting the school.

Never had a child wet themselves in my lesson.

Astute

You could probably get the local paper round and pose for one of those annoying pictures.
It isn't a laughing matter to me. Kids can be cruel. It can knock the confidence of kids they pick on. I don't want my kids called pissy pants or anything similar.

hill83

Also. The question was asked and answered yet you are coming up with several counter arguments. Take on board what people are saying or I won't let you go for a shit next time you need one.

Last edited:

Rich

That is different. If you let one child go they all need a wee.It is easier just to say no.
No it's not. It's about hitler teachers trying to make it easier for themselves, rather than teaching kids real life skills. I came out of school completely unprepared for real life thanks to people like teachers thinking they had a right to control me. Nah kids go to school to learn, not to be controlled.

wingy

I remember my first few weeks as a five yr old in the classroom of very frosty strict headmistress (Mrs Richardson).
Either being too nervous, timid, overawed I produced a puddle got pulled out to her desk and violently shaken, she lost grip of me and as I tumbled my head smacked on the desk.
I can't remember If anything happened as a result.
Can also remember being stood in the corner arms outstretched and heavy books sitting on my palms for twenty minutes, probably 8 at the time.

Otis

I remember my first few weeks as a five yr old in the classroom of very frosty strict headmistress (Mrs Richardson).
Either being too nervous, timid, overawed I produced a puddle got pulled out to her desk and violently shaken, she lost grip of me and as I tumbled my head smacked on the desk.
I can't remember If anything happened as a result.
Can also remember being stood in the corner arms outstretched and heavy books sitting on my palms for twenty minutes, probably 8 at the time.
Wow, 8? That's a lot of books.

Otis

Oddest thread I've ever seen!

Anybody, child or adult should need to go to the toilet when they require.
Yeah, agree. I think this teacher should allow them to come off the looms and down from their chimneys and let them have a 45 second pee during their 14 hour a day shifts.

If they don't come back after 45 seconds the teacher could always just halve their gruel portions.

duffer

Yes, I'd be upset by this. It's an unnecessary policy. In fact as a parent I'd be asking what you were doing as a teacher in this day and age with this kind of attitude?

Children at this age shouldn't be scared of asking to go to the toilet; the risk here is either that the child has an accident in the classroom with the attendant disruption to your lesson and subsequent embarrassment to the child, or that children don't hydrate properly for fear of the above.

if you think a child is taking advantage of you or being deliberately disruptive by asking for lots of toilet breaks, then deal with it in a proper manner. Perhaps talk through with an experienced teacher how they manage.

I've every respect for teachers, I know and am related to a fair number of them. It's a tough job that deserves more respect than it gets, imho. However this is a surprising question to ask here, and I don't think you're going to find much support for your approach, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread