Xbox one or PS4??? (1 Viewer)

Covstu

I have been a loyal xbox fan for a good number of years but they seemed to have shot themselves in the foot with the new console.... about £80 dearer and you cannot play second hand games without codes (and likely costs). I am tempted to jump ship and move back to Sony for the PS4.

Any thoughts??

ajsccfc

I was likely to go PS4 anyway, but now I can't even see any real reason to buy the Xbox unless there are any exclusives that people really want.

Si80

I'll pick up the PS4 on release day and probably grab the Xbox One at a later date. Prefer my PS3 to my Xbox except for COD, it just seems to play better on the Xbox.

Covstu

i think i might be doing the same although my heart wants to remain with xbox but i feel cheated about this second hand game business. If it wasnt for that i would have opted for the xbox regardless of the price difference.

Marty

I've always had a Xbox so will stick with it

To me that sort of brand loyalty is why Microsoft think they can get away with things like drm and their used games policy. IMO the ps4 is the better console which is why im jumping to them from microsoft.

jon92

Never had a problem with Xbox either so not fussed about paying the bit more wont use that kinect thing tho

Covstu

xbox 360 was a better machine than the PS3, the support and facilities were better with it but they have shot themselves in the foot with this one. If they sort the second hand games bit and I can still use lovefilm then they are good again!!

Marty

Nope. The PS eye/move isn't package with the console.

im-confused

Always been loyal to xbox myself, but Microsoft are falling as a company, and I don't think that the new xbox will do them any favours at all.

All of the new features in both the xbox one and PS4, suggest that the PS4 will be the better option.

Tad

Playstation 4 for me. The Xbox one doesn't even make sense. Voice control isn't as fast as just pressing a button, don't like the idea of Kinect always being on - especially after MS handed over information to Prism. Makes you wonder what else they're doing. The biggest gripe for me is the Xbox one having to be online at least once every 24 hours. If its not, the whole console will refuse to play any game. That's bull in my view. If I pay for a game, I should be-able to play it when I want. My Internet is usually fine, but things can happen. What if MS get hacked and the servers go down, or one day in the future, MS decide to turn these servers off? That would mean all our games are useless.

Tad

How many people use voice control? It is just a gimmick

The sad thing is, apparently you need to use voice commands to turn the console on. There's no button on the machine from what I've heard. That's why kinect is needed to always be on. And watching...

Marty

The Xbox One gets worse more and more I hear about it.

I've seen the PS4 advertised for release on 6th November.

Covstu

Playstation 4 for me. The Xbox one doesn't even make sense. Voice control isn't as fast as just pressing a button, don't like the idea of Kinect always being on - especially after MS handed over information to Prism. Makes you wonder what else they're doing. The biggest gripe for me is the Xbox one having to be online at least once every 24 hours. If its not, the whole console will refuse to play any game. That's bull in my view. If I pay for a game, I should be-able to play it when I want. My Internet is usually fine, but things can happen. What if MS get hacked and the servers go down, or one day in the future, MS decide to turn these servers off? That would mean all our games are useless.

getting hacked??? Didn't a certain competitor of MS get hacked not too long ago??:facepalm::facepalm:

As for the online thing, lets face it virtually everything is online these days so I don't think it is a problem. The only thing bugging me about the xbox is the second hand game market but I wonder how long before developers change their tact on PS4 formats. People like EA are already halfway there already, personally think it is a matter of time. I think I will take a view nearer the time which one I go for, jury is still out but PS4 is 1-0 up!

ajsccfc

Sony being hacked doesn't mean you can't still play the games you have in front of you, which I assume was the point being made about the mandatory connection. It's like the horrible SimCity launch which used the same system - I had the game and PC on the Friday, yet because EA didn't trust me to not be a pirate it was Sunday before I could even start.

Ps4 all the way. I've always found the Xbox live experience better so if Sony can sort this out they'll have won this generations console battle.

Stevearcade

Had a PS1, PS2, PS3, but with every console, I wait, open-mindedly and weigh up options. I wouldn't say I'm a fan-boy, I just always end up preferring what Sony has to offer over XBox. This time seems no different. Sony have played a great hand and Microsoft have cocked up a little bit. I'm sure they'll claw back some respect and market space, but this round certainly goes to Sony.

Mind you, I'll wait a year or two. Let the price fall and let them bring out a "slim" version that doesn't have technical issues :p

Tad

Sony being hacked doesn't mean you can't still play the games you have in front of you, which I assume was the point being made about the mandatory connection. It's like the horrible SimCity launch which used the same system - I had the game and PC on the Friday, yet because EA didn't trust me to not be a pirate it was Sunday before I could even start.

Yup. That's exactly what I was pointing to. Xbox one seems like a console built for publishers, not for us gamers. There is no fair reason to treat us all like criminals like they're trying to do.

ajsccfc

If I can break out an idiom, there's life in the old dogs yet:

the-last-of-us-promo-pic.jpg

Stunning game. I don't really sit down and play for long sessions these days, but I played through 14 hours of this since Thursday.

Tad

I think this is one of the other reasons a lot of people are shifting to Sony this gen too. Throughout the whole life of the PS3, Sony have still supported it with great and different games. Journey, Heavy Rain, Flower, The Last of Us, Killzone, Sly Racoon and they still are. We've got Beyond, GT6 and rain still to come.

Apparently MS are opening Game shops in London that only sell Xbox one games/hardware now in a vain attempt to boost numbers...

Darth Robins

Xbox one has officially become xbox 180, MS have just dropped ALL of the DRM crap, it'll now work exactly as the 360 does, and only requires an internet connection when you first setup the console. Maybe there's a bit of life in this console war now!

ajsccfc

They really had no choice, it was almost like they didn't want to be in the games market when all that was announced.

Tad

The xbox one will be like the Xbox 360 with it's DRM and online policies. First of all, this is all down to gamers and the people that refused to buy into their anti-consumers ideas. Well done guys!! :D

I'm still not sure what this will mean for them though. The console is still really expensive and the PS4 is more powerful and cheaper. Regardless of this, this is a huge win for us.

Covstu

it relies on the Kinect hence the difference Tad, personally does put me off buying one or the other to be fair but I guess it could for some families. It will be an interesting run in to November, now they need the titles to sell the machines for them.

Tad

it relies on the Kinect hence the difference Tad, personally does put me off buying one or the other to be fair but I guess it could for some families. It will be an interesting run in to November, now they need the titles to sell the machines for them.

Yup. They should really think about doing an kinect-less version at a cheaper price. Families will like Kinect, but the average gamer won't bother with it. That's one way they could stay competitive with the PS4.

Some issues with the Xbox one still stand. No self publishing for indie's could be an issue for them too.

Last edited:

Marty

It's good news. It was a stupid decision to begin with. Still leaning towards the ps4.

ajsccfc

Nothing confirmed of course, but some madcap Europeans are advertising a 13th November release:

ps4bolbarw8.jpg

TPTs1wK.jpg

ps4edubv.png

ajsccfc

No confirmed date for either yet, no. Microsoft are saying November, Sony say 'holiday period 2013' which is anything from October through to Christmas. I'm still surprised that we're going to get it before Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread