Youth team players (1 Viewer)

jwoodall

What youth players do people see breaking into the first team this season?

CovScott88

I did this thread a couple of weeks ago, but I've got no problem saying again. Conor Thomas is the obvious one, but the other guy that I think will make a decent amount of appearances, is Gael Bigirimana. He is very highly rated and I'm really looking forward to seeing him.

jwoodall

I did this thread a couple of weeks ago, but I've got no problem saying again. Conor Thomas is the obvious one, but the other guy that I think will make a decent amount of appearances, is Gael Bigirimana. He is very highly rated and I'm really looking forward to seeing him.
Sorry for redoing ur thread

Sky

I have word that Bigirimana is starting today so get down the game and see for yourself

hamil99

Facebook User
Gotta hope for the youth team stepping up this year, first teams going to be thread bear...

I'm praying shaun jeffers scores sum goals..

Sky

In the year above mine I don't really know him but I know lots of his friends who he has told

CovScott88

Pretty sure I heard recently that Gael turned down a couple of big European teams to sign a deal with us. Must be potentially brilliant.

Chipfat

Utd were sniffing around not so long ago and im sure if he breaks through they will be back for another go, little Essien!!.

SkyBlueMania

Of all the negatives floating around the club of late, I think a major positive must be the number of local young players that are a part of the squad now. Having a group of talented, hungry and passionate young individuals can only help moral and team bonding imo. Would possibly rebuild some connections with the fanbase that have been lost in the previous years. I feel quite proud of the academy!

CovScott88

Of all the negatives floating around the club of late, I think a major positive must be the number of local young players that are a part of the squad now. Having a group of talented, hungry and passionate young individuals can only help moral and team bonding imo. Would possibly rebuild some connections with the fanbase that have been lost in the previous years. I feel quite proud of the academy!

Agreed, I think the job that Gregor Rioch has done over the past couple of years, nurturing these young players, has been tremendous. Alot of his work seems to go un-noticed, but you only have to look at how many players are coming through from the Academy, to know how top notch a job he's doing.
Keep it up Sir!

bamalamafizzfazz

Don't want to get carried away as it's only Nuneaton and we didn't win the game in the end but to come back from 1 down at half time shows good character and maturity.

I think more of these youngsters will play a part this season than we think and it's important to give them some match experience in games like this. Well done lads keep it up.

skyblue_rich

Thought birmingha looked very good and him, Thomas and ruffles looked very composed. Christie ran his socks off and Phillips got stuck but lacks height and crossing ability

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Academy products really shown promise in the 2nd half. Christie done really well being the only player to complete the 90 minutes. But out of the lot i was most impressed by the dude with the strange hair style choice....Gael B? Looks very promising. If i was a liverpool scout i would have preffered him to Thomas!

Pigeon

Christie
Gael Bigirimana
Ruffles
Jeffers
Connor
All had really good games today, very impressive! Nothing better for the team than strong youth and healthy competition for places!

ccfc2011

Gael Bigirimana looks a good player.

shmmeee

So from those who have seen these lads, what's a reasonable expectation for this season:

a) Loaned out to a lower league club
b) Kept around, maybe get a handful of sub appearances
c) Could play maybe 10-15 games in an emergency
d) Would be happy for them to be the main backup
e) Should be in the first team

Nonleagueherewecome

So from those who have seen these lads, what's a reasonable expectation for this season:

a) Loaned out to a lower league club
b) Kept around, maybe get a handful of sub appearances
c) Could play maybe 10-15 games in an emergency
d) Would be happy for them to be the main backup
e) Should be in the first team

Firstly, I agree with most of the last few posts. I'd say:

Bigirimana-first team material already. Best position is probably Sammys but with his engine, pace and passing range, he would be comfortable in either of the central berths. I'd say he's pushing Deegan/Baker hard for one of those positions (with Bell my first choice). He'd compliment Bell perfectly. If Gael plays like he did yday in the remaining pre-season games, frankly, he's a guaranteed first choice. His potential is through the roof!

Thomas-not quite a first choice, but good backup. I wasn't quite as impressed with him yday as some people-he needs to be a bit quicker with his decision making, and perhaps a bit stronger. Or maybe anyone would pale next to Bigirimanas performance! Connor did lay on both goals with lovely balls, though-he does look like he'll be a cracking player in a years time.

Christie-he'd be a 5-10 games mainly as sub option, but would also benefit greatly from some loan action. Very quick and strong, good talker, no little skill for a defender, versatile and good stamina. I wouldn't mind going with him as backup to Hussey on what I've seen so far. Really impressed and surprised me yday. Is he related to Iyseden Christie? Has similar pitbull qualities to the journeyman striker.

Jeffers-similar to Christie, backup or emergency starter, but I don't see him gaining much from loans as he has already gone and got lower-league gametime. I think he needs to stay and be coached. Looks to have bulked up and was decent yesterday-one powerfull header, pretty quick, some good link-up play. Got to be challenging Platt; I wouldn't mind him given a chance as 4th choice striker.

Wilson-is very quick, with flair, so could be a good impact-sub. Bit frail maybe. Has had some loan experience but probably needs some more at a slightly higher level.

Ruffles-decent passing, but missed a sitter yesterday. Reminded me of Adam Walker (who won the Nonleague Papers MOTM, btw). Still young, hard to judge yet, needs some loan experience.

Phillips-very young yet. Isn't he still in the youth team? Got forwards well at pace and tackled very strongly, but cross delivery wasn't the best yday. I think he has potential, and I liked his attitude. He certainly comes from good stock ;)

TheSnoz

In amongst all the gloom and doom the talk of one or two youngsters stepping up gives us a little hope. About time we had a few make the grade. Going back it was good to see the likes of Danny Thomas make the transition in an instant. Dennis Mortimer, Graham Oakey the same. Wouldn't it be good if we had three or four just click for us. It happens at other clubs.
I'm sure we will pick up one or two loan players before season starts, but I'm hoping one or two of these kids makes an impact. Shaun Jeffers has shown nothing yet, but he's a big powerful lad. Perhaps he'll surprise us given the chance?

dave1903

Been lurking the forums for a few weeks this is my first post.
i went to the nuneaton game on sat cus my folks live there.
i was quite impressed with the youngsters i would have gave Christie motm becuase he was on the for the longest and had a solid game with some good runs playing right and left back.
i was also impressed with bigirimana in the second half.
i hope these guys get some playing time next season and should provide adequate cover for the first team

Users who are viewing this thread