2023/2024 Second Best Season of All Time (4 Viewers)

MalcSB

Easy to forget the awful times last season though. The final 2 months were amazing but the start of the season was embarrassing with the pitch. The Christmas and January period was seriously grim. That cup loss to Wrexham was as bad as any game I've been. They took the piss all game.
Overcoming that initial adversity was part of what made the season so good.

MalcSB

League 1 definitely more memorable than last season and we were actually robbed of special memories due to Covid.
I understand where people are coming from for last season as there were amazing moments, but Wrexham was a disaster and in truth with all due respect to Luton, we should have been getting past them if we had played like we did at Middlesboro away for instance and defended properly. That side last year bottled it when it mattered most. This season we have not bottled it, we have simply run out of fit players to compete in 2 tournaments. I loved last season btw, ive loved the last 7 years and i love Robins so much it’s unhealthy at this point!!
TBH I don’t give Wrexham any thought whatsoever.

Brighton Sky Blue

League 1 definitely more memorable than last season and we were actually robbed of special memories due to Covid.
I understand where people are coming from for last season as there were amazing moments, but Wrexham was a disaster and in truth with all due respect to Luton, we should have been getting past them if we had played like we did at Middlesboro away for instance and defended properly. That side last year bottled it when it mattered most. This season we have not bottled it, we have simply run out of fit players to compete in 2 tournaments. I loved last season btw, ive loved the last 7 years and i love Robins so much its unhealthy at this point!!
If that performance at Birmingham wasn’t ‘bottling it’ then I don’t know what is. Just awful and had we bothered to turn up that day they’d already be down.

Otis

No, I disagree with OP. I really enjoyed the 1931-32 season. That's when Bourton weaved his magic and the "old 5" was born.

Only downer on that season for me was that the cocoa was tuppence 😱 and they started to make the shorts a little bit shorter.

Outrageous! 🤬

pusbccfc

TBH I don’t give Wrexham any thought whatsoever.

One of the worst home games I've been. They took the piss out of us. Global media hammered us. It was properly embarrassing to be honest.

MalcSB

That i have seen, i was too young to remember when we finished 6th in Div 1 as it was back then and played in Europe.
1987 obviously the greatest ever season, but this season has given so much joy and wonderful memories for a lifetime, i cannot think of a better season other than 87.
Some are obviously upset we didnt make the play offs and blame the FA Cup run, but honestly, would people really have swapped the FA Cup run and beating Man Utd in that manner (we won really) at Wembley for a play off spot, when we probably wouldn't have gone up anyway as defensively we are not quite there yet.
I hope nobody chimes in with any season in the Strachan era, we chronically underachieved under him given the squads he had.
Can I have what you are taking. Season is shit.

MalcSB

Oggy was saying that we shouldn’t let the lows outweigh the highs of this season. It’s quite the reverse, the four highs previously highlighted are overshadowing a shit season. We had a poor start, losing to Rotherham of all teams, and an even poorer finish - including losing to relegated Birmingham.

messiahrobins

Can I have what you are taking. Season is shit.
You telling me that before the season with all the upheaval we had changing the entire team you would have been unhappy with top 10 and an Fa Cup final (which we actually achieved in reality but for corruption).?

messiahrobins

The rewriting of history so that we beat Man Utd isn’t a good look.
We did. Corruption meant our goal was ruled out, same sort of corruption we have seen in the US election 2020, and in London today with the muslim bloke allegedly winning the mayoral election.

SBT

One of the worst home games I've been. They took the piss out of us. Global media hammered us. It was properly embarrassing to be honest.
Global media hammered us? Did the New York Times write a scathing op-ed on Jonathan Panzo?

messiahrobins

I thought Hedman was a brilliant keeper.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
He could have been but Strachan put too much pressure on him by unnecessarily dropping Oggy which meant fans were looking for any mistake Hedman made and it eroded his confidence eventually. Had Strachan been stronger, kept Oggy in goal, as it happens Hedman would have been in anyway as Oggy had a neck issue that kept him out for two months, and i firmly believe Hedman then would have been cut alot more slack and had less criticism and we would have seen what a top keeper he could have been.

messiahrobins

We should have won 4-3, but fact is we won't be in the final. And even if we were it'd have been the biggest miracle in football for us to win it. So we'd still end up having won absolutely nothing.

I think it'd come across as pretty small club mentality to have a FA Cup final and a failure to get into the play-offs for Championship as our second best ever season.
Obviously we would not have beat man City, and in truth given how we have been playing and the injuries, we could have ended up losing 6-0 to man city which i think would have been a disaster moving forward so in some ways Wembley injustice might have been a blessing.

Cally Fedora

Forget the stats. It’s about enjoyment. We’ve scored loads of goals, beaten close rivals, defeated Man U and had a tilt at the play offs. It’s been a really enjoyable season

MalcSB

Forget the stats. It’s about enjoyment. We’ve scored loads of goals, beaten close rivals, defeated Man U and had a tilt at the play offs. It’s been a really enjoyable season
What tilt at the playoffs? We are 9 points off the playoff places. The three relegated teams have a better record over the past 6 games than the 1 point from 18 that we have achieved.

MalcSB

You telling me that before the season with all the upheaval we had changing the entire team you would have been unhappy with top 10 and an Fa Cup final (which we actually achieved in reality but for corruption).?
You do talk bollocks.
Actually, perhaps not. I will try your logic - We achieved automatic promotion in reality but for losing too many matches.

Last edited:

messiahrobins

Tbf we took 4 points off them this season.
Yes we did and believe me that would have come back to bite and hard. They would have been bang at it and not taking us perhaps a bit lightly like they definitely did at Elland Road.
Ive just seen man City on MOTD, an Fa Cup Final against them would have been embarrassing. I think Leeds would have beat us over 2 legs, to be honest, the season has ended well for us as the extra month off we get will be invaluable and we need that extra month for sure.

messiahrobins

Would have been nice to have found out though wouldn’t it?
Not really as the extra time off we now get will be a huge benefit. The points dont lie, West Brom and Norwich have got two extra matches that will eat into their off season. They will not be beating Leeds and Southampton.

pusbccfc

Yes we did and believe me that would have come back to bite and hard. They would have been bang at it and not taking us perhaps a bit lightly like they definitely did at Elland Road.
Ive just seen man City on MOTD, an Fa Cup Final against them would have been embarrassing. I think Leeds would have beat us over 2 legs, to be honest, the season has ended well for us as the extra month off we get will be invaluable and we need that extra month for sure.

I genuinely think they'll lose in the Play Offs but I know what you mean

messiahrobins

I genuinely think they'll lose in the Play Offs but I know what you mean
It will be a Leeds v Southampton final, but yes i can see Southampton beating them in the final. Norwich are rubbish so Leeds have a bye there. Southampton i think have been coasting the last month once they were out of the autos

MalcSB

Are you a bit thick? Or did i miss us being cheated out the 36 points we missed out by?
Are you a bit thick? 33 points would have given us automatic promotion, 34 would have made us champions,
i am surprised you missed all those unwarranted red cards, unpunished assaults on our players, incorrect penalty decisions for and against, ignored shirt pulls and pushes in the back handballs scoring against etc. Every little helps in a conspiracy.

Tile Hill Phil

This may be the first time ever I’ve agreed 100% with Grendel.
Yes that 77/78 season was so exciting. We were smashing teams at home with some great all out attacking play. I was in my last year at school and it was brilliant taking the piss out of kids who supported the glory teams. But this season I have never celebrated a goal like the ones at Wolves in the cup and our winner against Man Utd. Just hope we continue on upwards curve next season.

messiahrobins

Are you a bit thick? 33 points would have given us automatic promotion, 34 would have made us champions,
i am surprised you missed all those unwarranted red cards, unpunished assaults on our players, incorrect penalty decisions for and against, ignored shirt pulls and pushes in the back handballs scoring against etc. Every little helps in a conspiracy.
You sound like a child. No point explaining to you the intricacies of professional sport as clearly you wont understand

Users who are viewing this thread