Cashless Society (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I keep seeing posts getting more recent about paying small businesses with cash so they don't have to pay card charges etc.

It was a few years ago when I had a business account but paying cash in, they took a % also and it also meant I had to go to the bank, park, stand in the queue etc.

Card charges are pretty minimal nowadays compared to what they used to be.

It's just hassle to go to the cash point and get cash nowadays when you can just tap a phone and it's paid.

ajsccfc

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons against it but personally I'm all for it, I don't miss being handed change that has who knows what on it.

shmmeee

Cash is for dodgy fuckers and old people at this point let’s be honest. We’ve had this convo before. The only time I touch cash is birthday presents for kids or buying drugs.

I get some people find it easier to budget with cash, but it seems like a silly reason to keep an entire physical infrastructure.

Would like to see banking opened up a bit though and peer to peer payments. And some kind of decentralised currency because I do think there’s value in money a particular government or institution can’t control. But cash ain’t that really either.

Grendel

Don’t fish and chip shops generally take cash only?

Macca1987

Our local chippy proudly stated they would be starting taking card payments, a week in notice to be cash only as their card reader wasn't working

Grendel

Cash is for dodgy fuckers and old people at this point let’s be honest. We’ve had this convo before. The only time I touch cash is birthday presents for kids or buying drugs.

I get some people find it easier to budget with cash, but it seems like a silly reason to keep an entire physical infrastructure.

Would like to see banking opened up a bit though and peer to peer payments. And some kind of decentralised currency because I do think there’s value in money a particular government or institution can’t control. But cash ain’t that really either.

I know you will say it’s because they are dodgy but farriers generally take cash

Macca1987

Craftsman pub cash only, caught a lot of people out over time going in before/after the footy, lucky they've opened a co-op next door with a cash machine

Reactions: vow

shmmeee

I know you will say it’s because they are dodgy but farriers generally take cash

It’ll be to avoid tax won’t it? Like most single traders.

I’m not making a moral judgement here, but it’s like people against those proposed GPS speed limiters in cars. It might feel crappy but when you get down to it the only real response is “but I want to break the law” and that’s a hard case to make.

shmmeee

Most of them take card now.

Even freshen up men in toilets take card 😂 there's no escape of "no cash mate".

Once the beggars get card machines were fucked. I’m in a lovely state right now of not feeling guilty cos I genuinely never have change.

Even my 8 year old takes her pocket money digitally these days.

hill83

I’m at the point now where I get annoyed if someone who owes me money gives me cash. I’ve got cash in my wallet now that’s been there for months.

Grendel

It’ll be to avoid tax won’t it? Like most single traders.

I’m not making a moral judgement here, but it’s like people against those proposed GPS speed limiters in cars. It might feel crappy but when you get down to it the only real response is “but I want to break the law” and that’s a hard case to make.

there are actually some practical issues - card readers won’t work on many sites and although they accept bank transfers a lot of people don’t pay and so they insist on payment on the day of the job - of course there will be a tax element

Nick

Administrator
Once the beggars get card machines were fucked. I’m in a lovely state right now of not feeling guilty cos I genuinely never have change.

Even my 8 year old takes her pocket money digitally these days.
I'm pretty sure some probably do have card machines.

shmmeee

there are actually some practical issues - card readers won’t work on many sites and although they accept bank transfers a lot of people don’t pay and so they insist on payment on the day of the job - of course there will be a tax element

I think with faster payments and satellite/other internet options these will become less of an issue.

My main problem with it is reliance on the VISA network or similar. Seems like a racket to me. I should be able to bring up my Apple Pay, tap your phone, and send money direct to your account with no fees. There’s no need for any physical infrastructure other than regulatory as far as I can see.

Open up the network and get proper competition on the application layer to put it in Computing terms.

Nick

Administrator
I think with faster payments and satellite/other internet options these will become less of an issue.

My main problem with it is reliance on the VISA network or similar. Seems like a racket to me. I should be able to bring up my Apple Pay, tap your phone, and send money direct to your account with no fees. There’s no need for any physical infrastructure other than regulatory as far as I can see.

Open up the network and get proper competition on the application layer to put it in Computing terms.
It depends who you bank with. Get something like monzo and it's a breeze.

If you go for meals you can just split the bill and it sends them a payment request and they press accept and done.

LastGarrison

Craftsman pub cash only, caught a lot of people out over time going in before/after the footy, lucky they've opened a co-op next door with a cash machine
Same as the Hastings and also Antalya the Turkish restaurant.

Too be honest I don’t even use my card much nowadays and just use Apple Pay on my phone.

ajsccfc

When smoking was banned you really notice it more when someone nearby is smoking or smells of it, same thing now with coins. Absolutely stink, glad I no longer carry round a wallet filled with tramp DNA and germs (bar my own)

hill83

Was safer when it was cash only in pubs. Take twenty quid out, that was your lot no matter how generous you felt after drinking twenty quid s worth.

Mind you nowadays that'd get you three pints

That’s 2 and a half pints these days and you are walking home

Flying Fokker

Money laundering through cash only cafe’s and barbers is highly likely. New shops in places like Rugby Town Centre and even a couple of miles away are cash only.

You touched a nerve!

As are chip shops run by people who have no intention of providing good customer service/ quality. In Coundon there is one Chippy that is cash only. The workers use earbuds and ignore the customers.
Since when has there been such a demand for these shops?

Users who are viewing this thread